Cameras with good autofocus and slow motion?

jhnkng

I just got back from a 3 day run and gun, stills and motion, tourism campaign where I basically shot everything on a combination of C100mk2 and X-T2 for 100fps and gimbal work, and stills on Nikon. It's definitely the biggest shoot I've done so far, and it's looking great. But it did get me thinking, as much as I love my C100mk2, is there a camera out there that has Canon level autofocus AND can shoot more than 120fps? Absolute bonus of it's small enough to fit on a Crane 2. As far as I can tell currently you can have killer AF and up to 120fps (C200), or higher frame rates but crap to ok AF (FS7, GH5s etc.)

The closest to nirvana so far has been the X-T2, a couple of times we were given only a few minutes to get what we need and I shot a variety of 100fps, 50fps, and stills all on that camera -- and it was brilliant. But the AF sucks, and a lot of the time I really relied on the C100's almost magical AF ability. We didn't need audio on this one and that would also be another issue on the X-T2. I suspect there's not really anything out there yet that can do all these things, but I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions and experience so I know what to keep any eye out for.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Tone1k said:

What lens were you using on the X-t2 and what AF mode were you using? 

Were you trying to track a face? 

I was mostly using the 16 1.4 and the 35 1.4. It's actually pretty accurate, the issue is that it isn't smooth. DPAF looks like a professional focus puller is on the job, the X-T2 looks like me pulling focus while operating and directing...

34 minutes ago, jhnkng said:

I was mostly using the 16 1.4 and the 35 1.4. It's actually pretty accurate, the issue is that it isn't smooth. DPAF looks like a professional focus puller is on the job, the X-T2 looks like me pulling focus while operating and directing...

That’s been my experience with the X-T2 as well, which is why I don’t find the AF suitable for video. 

17 hours ago, jhnkng said:

I don't use my X-T2 professionally, just for taking videos of the kids but have found the face tracking and other autofocus modes pretty good. The Fuji 1.4 lenses are notoriously slow and clunky with AF though. The 16-55 and even 18-55 do pretty well as do the f2 primes.