Samsung. Out of new ideas to copy

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

Supposedly one-year-old iPhoneX still beats the Note9 in benchmark tests, but the Note has a better screen. With the next iPhone just around the corner, the gap will likely widen in Apple's favor.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-note-9-benchmarks,news-27773.html

Yeah Samsung Do know how to make smartphone screens no doubt. That part I do miss. The big, heavy part of it, not so much! ?

5 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Supposedly one-year-old iPhoneX still beats the Note9 in benchmark tests, but the Note has a better screen. With the next iPhone just around the corner, the gap will likely widen in Apple's favor.

The problem with these test is that they are comparing open gl, not the newer Vulkan standard on the Android side. Whereas the iOS test are done using Apples “Metal” which is their equivalent to Vulkan.

It’s simply not Apples to Apples?

8 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

But when did someone last buy a phone that was too slow to do anything  - they even put delays in the phone so the apps open in a visually pleasing manner. And when did people last buy a phone with a crummy screen....

It all. Seems measurbating to me.

• Administrators

So I went to check out the S9 expecting it to be the boring reheat of the S8 that it seems like on paper.

Maybe I have been a bit harsh on them!

There are considerable evolutions across the board. Video is 4K 60P and much nicer than the S8. MUCH.

I've compared the headphone jack to my Burr Brown stuff and tube amps - it stands up. What's more, Adapt Sound now allows you to save profiles for individual headphones, which it tunes to your ears. Hifiman HE100 sound wonderful on the smartphone, as good as a high-end portable DAC like the Chord Mojo (which I also benchmarked it against in an A/B).

They have solved the slow loading of RAW DNG files in the gallery. It's slick. These can be edited within 2 seconds of a press on Advanced Edit. It used to take over 10 seconds to load a single raw photo in Polarr, my main mobile editing app. The raw files allow you to turn off the typical smartphone over processing and get fine grain, better grading.

The camera app now defaults to Pro mode if you left off in that mode the first time, it no longer defaults back to auto, which doesn't save JPG+RAW. This makes a big difference to usability.

I am comparing it in this instance to the P20 Pro, with it's ridiculously nice 40MP raw.... Will do a review.

Performance seems snappier and slicker than S8 with less background apps and bloatware, plus new CPU makes a difference.

The speakers are hands-down the most full-bodied I have ever heard from a smartphone, with twice the dynamic range of what I've previously experienced from iPhone X and P20 Pro. YouTube Premium plays music clips in the background on the phone, with it's latest Android OS... That's a nice touch. You can use it like Spotify. Tidal works well on the phone in MQA mode, to get the most out of that new DAC and headphone socket.

So it's not a case of iPhone 6S vs 7... There is actually a bigger difference under the surface than expected.

51 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

It all. Seems measurbating to me.

True but the difference between when I bought my iPhone 6s plus and this new iPhone X camera output wise is a pretty big increase in quality. It went from this is damn good to Christ it is good. Same with all the video toys on them. So yeah I know that is what like 3 years or better but it is a usable system now for an average person, and a hell I can at least get some decent footage if I forget my Big camera, or it runs out of battery. I am good for that.. ☹️

As a Phone, hell a 15 dollar flip phone is nearly as good LoL. But a few more years on these Smartphones and I think they might be a damn serious tool for video. With skill they sort of are now with the right apps, which there is a Ton of them.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:30 PM, OliKMIA said:

One of the issue with software is that provider like AT&T load their phone with crapware that are impossible to remove. I other word, they ruin the user experience. I had a lot of useless stuff on my phone, I had to root Droid to get rid of all this crap and It became significant faster without even talking about the saved space.

Yeah, +1 about that. Phones are commodity, they more or less all do the same stuff and no amount of BS marketing, touchwizz and 3D Titanium X face recognition is going to change much. Now I simply buy the best phone for the buck and I'm done. I really couldn't care less about brand and models.

Rooting the Samsung's S is not advisable anymore. Since the S6, they've put a hardware "fuse" that detects that your phone is rooted and it disables Knox (and it is not recoverable like in the past, using Triangle Away apps). And without Knox a lot of Samsung apps do not work (like Health and Secure Folder), making your phone less valuable if you decide to sell it used ahead.

It is unreasonable to expect something "new" every year. The 8 is great, it is hard to see how it can be improved much, so it should be no surprise that the 9 is similar. They should make it look different why? Just so it looks different? Sorry, that is not "innovation" in spite of what Apple would like us all to believe.

What they should be doing in the annual update cycle is incrementally improving what is inside the phone and what it is made of. If it is necessary to change the form for some reason, or if it makes sense from an ergonomic reason then great, but changing it just so it looks "different" is stupid.

Take the RX100 for example, it looks pretty much the same each iteration (in many cases exactly the same). But what is inside gets better each year. That is what I want in a product I use. It it looks good and is ergonomically functional, then keep what works and improve the internals.

3 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Rooting the Samsung's S is not advisable anymore. Since the S6, they've put a hardware "fuse" that detects that your phone is rooted and it disables Knox (and it is not recoverable like in the past, using Triangle Away apps). And without Knox a lot of Samsung apps do not work (like Health and Secure Folder), making your phone less valuable if you decide to sell it used ahead.

Yes, another reason to avoid Samsung. I never use Samsung app and I never re-sell my phones. I use them to the end until they die (usually 3-4 years). Personally I really don't see the point of blowing more than $400 on a phone every year or two.