Is it really coming?! The LX100 II?! August 23?!

newfoundmass

IMHO, if they have got the following ONLY, things will be superb:

1. 17MP seems more than enough, Especially if it does not have a low pass filter. 

2. Much Improved AF. Autofocus was the weak point on the LX100. It just wasn't quick or precise enough, on many occasions. I hope that has been majorly improved. 

3. Articulating LCD.

4. Even better processing, improving low light and video quality.

5. Zoom was slow and less than ideally responsible in the LX100. Hopefully thay has been improved. 

While a lot of those improvements have been cited, I am sure there are many more. 

I would also like to see a face off between this and the various 1inch sensor cameras around. 

I was writing and the thing got posted automatically. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

They could have just added a mic jack, GX85's semi articulating screen and changed the EVF.

The 17MP resolution is pretty Good, considering it doesn't have OLF. So approx 34% actual resolution increase (12.7 to 17MP) and about another 25% as a theoretical one for the removal of OLF (photos have a lot more detail). I am guessing there shouldn't be too much moiré, since the lens can't be that sharp (it was a soft wide open).

There is a further from in 4k video. 

15 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

No and yes, I guess. By the specs and pics, it really looks like an GX9 inside in a LX100 body with no modifications.

Thanks for this information. 

Panasonic launched it today, to not be engulfed by Nikon tomorrow. All the bigger sites have reviews, Photobyrichard have more pleasing JPGS (amazing how bad the photos that big sites reviewers takes): http://www.photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/panasonic-lumix-lx100-ii-review/

As I expected, is a GX9 (sensor, touchscreen, funcionalities) inserted in the LX100 body (fixed screen, same EVF, same lens). And GX9 4k crop is there too, and more severe, 1.34x (this means that with the lens in the 24mm position, is a 32mm in 4k). That crop killed the GX9 for me, could kill the LX100 II too.

Too late. A year or two ago sure. But I only see longer 4k recording time and better color as big bonuses. Having what I assume is the same h.264/100Mbps fragile codec as my G7 just won't cut it in 2019. If it did h.265 at 100Mbps it would be a different matter. I think I saw the GX9 EVF is the same as the GX85's too, which was unusable for me and many others. At least we have some potentially awesome Nikon news tomorrow.

• Administrators

I feel like they have sat on one of their best and most enjoyable to use cameras for 4 years, refusing to up-date it when Sony was updating their rival (RX100) every year.

And then they finally update it and make it worse! Worse 4K crop!

The GH4 sensor (or very similar) was in the LX100.

Why put a low-end camera sensor in the successor and not the GH5 sensor, which would be in keeping with the previous strategy.

And as others have pointed out, obviously the lack of other significant changes is really off-putting.

Well, there is no mic jack, yet again! So that pretty much automatically kills it as a consideration for a lot of increasingly frustrated people, including myself. 

I just want a better than cellphone camera that is nice and compact, but with a mic input so I can do quick and dirty vlog! None of the Sony RX100 have this, was a perfect chance for Panasonic to leap in and steal a niche for themselves! Especially if its screen had also flipped out.

Yeah, it's crazy that we now have to put our hopes on a LX10/15 successor, which they might actually try to appeal the vlogger crowd with... but with the decisions they've been making lately... I'm not sure. This LX100II is a bit of a joke. A lot of people were disappointed about the GX9. We haven't seen a true G80/85 successor. They've split up the flagships into 3 different models, each lacking certain things so if you want two of those, you'll be ending up with two cameras. Price has gone up significantly. Things have gotten downhill a bit after the G80/85 on the customer end of things and value wise. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a change of management at that time. But I'm hoping they can get their shit together, because this will drive and keep people away. They were all about giving you value and listening to the customer. And the flagships still do great things, don't get me wrong, but I feel their strategy is changing and I'm not loving it.

24 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Price has gone up significantly. Things have gotten downhill a bit after the G80/85 on the customer end of things and value wise. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a change of management at that time. But I'm hoping they can get their shit together, because this will drive and keep people away. They were all about giving you value and listening to the customer. And the flagships still do great things, don't get me wrong, but I feel their strategy is changing and I'm not loving it.

Even the G80 was a shift up in pricing from what you'd had with the G3/G5/G6/G7 of the past. 

Hmm, waited and waited for this, and was hoping so badly that we’d get an articulating screen. Nope, but touchscreen and better AF with better sensor might be enough for a purchase. Prizing on B&H is almost 1000, which is also weird. Feels like 699 or 799 max would have been a sweetspot when the people buying this probably already owns the previous one.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:31 AM, BTM_Pix said:

And still no Cinelike D

I'm going to wait for the Leica version of it so I can feel as let down but with a slightly more elitist glow.

I want to see if your app could solve this problem too... :)

18 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I feel like they have sat on one of their best and most enjoyable to use cameras for 4 years, refusing to up-date it when Sony was updating their rival (RX100) every year.

And then they finally update it and make it worse! Worse 4K crop!

The GH4 sensor (or very similar) was in the LX100.

Why put a low-end camera sensor in the successor and not the GH5 sensor, which would be in keeping with the previous strategy.

And as others have pointed out, obviously the lack of other significant changes is really off-putting.

GH5 sensor is not the same as the GX9's one? Or just tuned differently?

About the crop - anyone ever used that wide adapters, like Raynox ones? It degrades the image quality?

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I want to see if your app could solve this problem too... :)

The original LX100 was not exactly resistant but did something really odd in terms of extreme contrast shift.

I'm interested to see if this one being based on a different board might actually work.

It would certainly make the mark ii slightly more interesting.

20 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The original LX100 was not exactly resistant but did something really odd in terms of extreme contrast shift.

I'm interested to see if this one being based on a different board might actually work.

It would certainly make the mark ii slightly more interesting.

All the specs hints that it is just a GX9 repackaged. Since Panasonic released a CinelikeD firmware upgrade for the GX9 some time ago (rumors says that the reason was a f*cking tinkerer in a website forum sowed their idiocity), maybe nobody tried the app on the GX9.

At the same time, very probably the closed the loophole in the LX100 II.