Google data shows HUGE decline of interest in Canon 5D series

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

google-5d-iv.jpg

Google registered 75% less interest in the 5D Mark IV launch compared to the previous camera.

Overall, all search queries for the Canon range has fallen 50% since 2010. With that an other insights let's take a deep look at the search giant's traffic...

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Search trends don't equal sales. Its one metric that factors into the marketing mix, but its not absolute, and like many simple statistics, drawing conclusions based on it places too much weight on one small component without looking at the big picture. But it must get clicks, there was a post about this on SAR a few days ago, which was a lot of fanboy nonsense.

This article connects a few dots that aren't really there. Of course over time search interest in a consumer product 2-years after its release is going to decline. But it still compares favorably to the a7III which has only been out a few months and the d850 with came out a year later. Despite a DSLR heavy lineup, we've seen market share reports showing CaNikon owning 3/4 of the camera market. 

I went worldwide instead of just in the US. And just to demonstrate how irrelevant these numbers can be, I threw in Leica and Pentax.

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 9.13.26 AM.png

Yeah but other than Leica they all show a decline. If your selling cameras I think that might be relevant. The Sony A7 mk III is too new to tell long term.

I just don't see how the average person even Needs a "real" camera anymore. The newer Smartphones have a 2x lens in them, and some are going 3x lenses. Why bother with a camera.

10 hours ago, Sage said:

An interesting qualifier for us is "video"

Video.thumb.PNG.fe86f675da82f517692074f380987b70.PNG

Brands:

Brands.thumb.PNG.9e3519e287c4e5cba583c273b976faf7.PNG

Models:

315480328_5dModels.thumb.PNG.24aa46ca5f6fe37a435564a2a91437dc.PNG

Exactly my point. Depending on the terms used, you can easily skew results.

I'm a mid-level marketing nobody, I've written many reports using this kind of information to paint a picture that makes my subject look good and the competition look bad based on search terms, but its not very useful by itself since '5d video' absolutely crushes everything else, despite what some may say.

Cheers

Chris

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

I'm a mid-level marketing nobody, I've written many reports using this kind of information to paint a picture that makes my subject look good and the competition look bad based on search terms, but its not very useful by itself since '5d video' absolutely crushes everything else, despite what some may say.

Crushes, wow that is a pretty over the top statement. Using ML it might. But hell Canon didn't have shit to do with that. And how many people even use it. @mercer is the only one left that isn't banned on here still using it!! ?

I don't think Canon is "crushing" anything as of late video wise. 5D mk IV, C700, M50, ehh not my idea of leading the pack. Sort of middle of the Pack. Lackluster sales at best on them. C200 might be a bright spot, but not if you Have to Have that middle codec. And well you sort of do! Raw is not really a great alternative All the time you need a broadcast Codec. But it is a nice camera, not saying it isn't. Just why did they not go that extra Codec, why! We know why, but why not.

And you Know Canon will F up this new mirrorless someway. They are not going to get it right on the first try no matter how hard they try. Nikon either. They both have a Ton of stuff to implement they have never really done before. I don't envy them I will tell you that. And add new lenses to the mix, Wow.

I would bet this new BM P4K will kick Anything Canon has, and brings out under 8000 bucks hands down. Won't be as slick to operate, but output wise, You know it will win. Hell the little BMPCC can have as good or better output now. Did you see that Video I just put up, not mine, in the Blackmagic Sub Forum. Hell no Canon can do that.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Crushes, wow that is a pretty over the top statement. Using ML it might. But hell Canon didn't have shit to do with that. And how many people even use it. @mercer is the only one left that isn't banned on here still using it!! ?

I don't think Canon is "crushing" anything as of late video wise. 5D mk IV, C700, M50, ehh not my idea of leading the pack. Sort of middle of the Pack. Lackluster sales at best on them. C200 might be a bright spot, but not if you Have to Have that middle codec. And well you sort of do! Raw is not really a great alternative All the time you need a broadcast Codec. But it is a nice camera, not saying it isn't. Just why did they not go that extra Codec, why! We know why, but why not.

And you Know Canon will F up this new mirrorless someway. They are not going to get it right on the first try no matter how hard they try. Nikon either. They both have a Ton of stuff to implement they have never really done before. I don't envy them I will tell you that. And add new lenses to the mix, Wow.

I think he meant “crushing everything else” based on google search numbers. So if we are to believe that this extrapolated data has any direct correlation on sales, or interest, and the 5D series is down, then Panasonic and Sony are really screwed because their numbers are way worse than Canon’s.

Camera tech is starting to plateau just like phone tech. The original 5D was a ground breaking stills camera that made high quality full frame digital capture available to the mass market.The mk2 did the same thing by bringing cinematic looking HD to the mass market. Difficult to make these giant leaps again and who cares if Canon has failed or is unable to ' crush' the opposition unless you are a Canon fanboy or shareholder....