Cheap 1080p FF DSLR?

Kangaroo

Hi!

I'm currently using a Nikon D600, I switched from the fuji (first gen sensor) system because I was having too much problems with sharpening and autofocus and previously I owned a Canon 5d2.

I was pretty much only interested in photography but recently I wanted to go back shooting videos, nothing professional so probably the quality of the 5d2 would be enough. 

As far as I've seen the D600, though it's really an amazing photography tool, it's quite meh for video stuff, so I'm considering selling it and buying something that's around the same price and I would like to stick to a FF sensor.

The a7 series is too much expensive, I could only afford the A7 or the A7 II but it seems it's not worth it, I could go back to the 5d2, I could wait to find a good deal on the 6d but I'm afraid that I won't find it before I leave for Iceland in 2 weeks and I need a camera asap.

The other 2 options are buying a new X-T20 (it should be equal to the x-e3 right?) or keeping the D600 and using it also for video, then switching to a D750 in a few months.

What do you think? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I really liked the D600 image even though technically it has a lot of issues (moire, softness, etc). You could get a 6d but that won't be much better. The XT20 is a good option; it's autofocus for photo is much better than previous generations and so is it's video, but it's not full frame (although the f1.4 lenses make up for that). 

You can find a used 5D2 for about what you will get for the D600.

Points in favour of the 5D2 are that you already know the camera, it has the beautiful Canon colour science & you can shoot amazing RAW  with Magic Lantern. Downside of the 5D2 is softness of 1080p video & moire but you can't do better in the price range.

5 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

The other 2 options are buying a new X-T20 (it should be equal to the x-e3 right?) or keeping the D600 and using it also for video, then switching to a D750 in a few months.

Stick with the Nikon D600 until you can get the D750.

3 hours ago, nigelbb said:

You can find a used 5D2 for about what you will get for the D600.

I'd rather film with a Nikon D5200 than a Canon 5Dmk2. 
(heck, I'd probably prefer I think my old student Panasonic GH1 over a 5Dmk2!)

I don't know about the D600.

The D750 is nice. It is soft though. But it is nice.

All manual focus, really since live view focus is so bad.

Great dynamic range (close to SLOG2 as far as I can tell without having to deal with SLOG). Blown highlights will blow gracefully when compared to the blown highlights of my sony cameras, which are just this side of horrible.

Great lenses that are affordable. Since you will be shooting manually on 1080p you don't need the sharpest lenses out there nor the most expensive latest and greatest AF.

But you would have to stretch your budget from selling your D600 to get a used D750.

If the D750 had sharper video, I would sell my sony cameras and use it instead.

But the downsampled 6K to 4K to 1080p timeline of Sony is so nice...

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah and they have one of the best OOC 1080p going. 750 bucks is about as cheap as I see them on average. Which is damn cheap for what they can do.

Exactly. Plus they can do 4K out if you really need them to. 

15 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Depends what he wants to do with the photos. For online publishing and small prints 12MP is adequate, I think.  

Sure, unless you are real lazy like myself  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I tend to crop in post a lot instead of switching to a longer focal length (since the UWA Sony 10-18 is on my APS-C cameras 90% of the time).

But yeah, smaller prints and  web use, I agree with you, 12MP is PLENTY!!!

9 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Yeah, original a7S plus cheap (dumb) adapters and add Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, Canon FD or other lenses.

On the other hand, 12MP might not be enough for stills photography.

Good enough for Nikon D700 users!