How i double my awerage watchtime on Youtube exemple video

TomazK

Hi,

I'm a Youtube content creator and i hope you will appreciate my insight on how i managed to double my average watch time on my latest video.

To give you some background i created my movie review channel to set me apart from others in my niche by adding VFX and other production value you don't normally see in other videos. But then something happened, as the Youtube algorithm is everchanging, youtube started to push channels with more frequent uploads and i adapted. As you know when you up the ante usually the quality suffers.

To cut the story short two weeks ago i decided I'll make a dynamically edited video and put a lot more time in it than usual. The result was i doubled the average watch time from 30 - 35 % to 60 %. If you know a little about Youtube you know that youtube pushes videos with longer average watch time a lot more as they can play more ads on them. If i can borrow a quote from the Martian "i edited the shit out of the video" :) and that made the difference.

I know here in the forum are a lot of more proper filmmakers but i would be interested if we have here some filmmakers who post their work on Youtube and what are your experiences with Youtube distributing your content?

As my channel is Sci-fi themed it's a Breakdown (10 things/easter eggs you missed) of the latest Star Trek Discovery season 2 trailer, i made an edit with funny inserts, edited in sound effects and tried to make the video fast and snappy to watch.

If i made you curious  about the video which does so well regarding watch time, here is the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go_GgaJqOkE

Let me know if you have similar experiences with youtube and how you managed to increase your watch time.

Thank you for reading my post 

Tomaž

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs