The mystery of the Sony A7 III vertical stretch - was it a hotfix for blinking pixels?

Andrew Reid

47 minutes ago, Papiskokuji said:

I’m amazed at how only few people are concerned by this image streching issue ! As everybody’s always so eager to attack every manufacturer for anything. I find this ratio problem much more worrying and shocking than even overheating. Eventhough there’s lens distorsion coming into play when it comes to proportion, I find it puzzling that people let Sony go with this one... I can’t imagine myself explaining to a client why its product looks streched on this or this packshot. For me it’s the basics : having a 1:1 aspect ratio...

Hope it’s gonna be fixed later with a new firmware but I need more people to complain about it ;)

I’m waiting for the A7S III anouncement before I buy anything but I seriously consider buying the A7 III, if and only if this issue get fixed (not that anyone cares!)

Am I the only one shocked by the stretching thing ?

Haven't you noticed that everyone here's already put their a7 III up for sale on eBay?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If a Fuji or other brand had such an issue, the reaction would be very different.

Sony has an "under the carpet" mentality to various issues through the years.

The first thing they did when their a6xxx overheated was to change the thermal threshold and warn you to not touch the camera, Fuji from the other hand limited the video time limit and adviced on the use of the battery grip (obviously it transfered some heat from the battery compartment further away to the grip) a minus on the spec sheet, but a more honest and respectful approach to their customers.

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

If a Fuji or other brand had such an issue, the reaction would be very different.

The first thing they did when their a6xxx overheated was to change the thermal threshold and warn you to not touch the camera, Fuji from the other hand limited the video time limit and adviced on the use of the battery grip (obviously it transfered some heat from the battery compartment further away to the grip) a minus on the spec sheet, but a more honest and respectful approach to their customers.

So what you are really saying is Sony made it more useful, and Fuji made it less useful? ?

These camera manufacturer conversations always make me roll my eyes.

Cameras can be: well rounded and highly reliable, chock full of the latest tech, very flexible in design and application, or produced in enough volume to be affordable..  pick any two / three.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, Kisaha said:

I beg to differ. If anyone so much as mentions a bug with Fuji, the entire community will be down their throat. And Fuji has got its share of them. Sometimes they’re solved with an update, sometimes not. Not picking on Fuji, but since you hold them up as the gold standard and all...

And not to be rude, but having to buy battery grips sucks big time. At least Sony came out with a great battery with Mark III. Having to purchase a battery grip for the Fuji X-H1 when a newer battery would have been preferable... It’s gouging if you ask me.

10 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I pity people that live in jungles areas then! I guess they are screwed using a Sony camera there. No FF for them. Fuji APSC or go home. ?

Exactly! My Sony is toast! ?

The only Fuji camera I "respect" in its specific tier is X-T20, so obviously is not the golden standard, it is just an example.

Another example is the approach of Panasonic for the GH5, they took the decision to produce one of the biggest and heavier mirrorless cameras ever, so they could create an overspeced video "monster".

Does not humidity and overheating affect electronics? I live on a European country and I spend a lot of money for dehumidifiers (Pingi are great for small places).

Especially in sound, humidity can affect top microphones from the likes of Schoeps, DPA, Sanken, Neumann and others (some of the most expensive brands in the world), that is why most of us hold at least one Sennheiser 416 in our arsenal, and it is the microphone of choice for tropical/jungle documentaries.

Also a lot of microphones are coming with wooden cases, or others, that absorb humidity.

43 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Does not humidity and overheating affect electronics? I live on a European country and I spend a lot of money for dehumidifiers (Pingi are great for small places).

Do you have Air Conditioning? I lived in South Florida near the Gulf of of Mexico, right on a canal for 12 years, Greece can't be any worse than that. I had it on 10 months a year. That is what Air Conditioning is, a giant De Humidifier. And I have been to Greece quite a few times, so I have an idea what its is like there. But I was a lot younger then!

Cuba is the hottest place I have ever been to, been there like 6 times. Thule Air Base in Greenland is the coldest place I ever been too, was in the winter time, -34 degrees one time.. It was so cold we had to take turns starting up the engines on the plane every 4 hours. We were there 3 days that time, Not fun. Was there a couple of times. ?

5 hours ago, dafreaking said:

I hope you are joking sir.. was looking at getting one,

Well all these Nikon fans will make you a heck of a deal then to get money to buy the Best Mirrorless in the world, ehh at this moment. We haven't seen one real test  yet, but what the hell. ?

And yeah, he was joking. ?

On 8/27/2018 at 6:10 PM, dafreaking said:

I hope you are joking sir.. was looking at getting one,

Don’t you know Nikon has an A7 now? Oh I mean Z7, see it’s different. How dare you consider the Sony when the clearly superior Nikon has already been announced? 

On 8/26/2018 at 11:56 PM, Kisaha said:

The only Fuji camera I "respect" in its specific tier is X-T20, so obviously is not the golden standard, it is just an example.

Another example is the approach of Panasonic for the GH5, they took the decision to produce one of the biggest and heavier mirrorless cameras ever, so they could create an overspeced video "monster".

Especially in sound, humidity can affect top microphones from the likes of Schoeps, DPA, Sanken, Neumann and others (some of the most expensive brands in the world), that is why most of us hold at least one Sennheiser 416 in our arsenal, and it is the microphone of choice for tropical/jungle documentaries.

Also a lot of microphones are coming with wooden cases, or others, that absorb humidity.

I think you’re deeply confused at how humidity works. 

Not sure what this has to do with overheating? Most fanboys claimed the X-T2 simply didn’t overheat, because of the 15min cutoff, yet were complaining that the Sony’s ‘only’ recorded for 2hrs+ before ‘overheating’, which of course was unacceptable. 

Most Canon fanboys complained about the overheating in 4K and how unacceptable it was, compared to their non-4K capable Canons. 

Most Samsung fanboys just cried that Sony took all the glory and that their ‘better’ product sank into a hole of misery after 29-misery inducing models that came before... but, but, but NX1! 

Most Nikon fanboys were like ‘what’s videooooo’. 

Meanwhile the m43’s fanboys were just, as usual, being angry about how unfair it is that people do in fact compare sensor size.