FD lenses on the HG2

Ron

Been a still shooter for over 40 years but I'm very new (and very green) to DSLR video but the GH2 shooters guide has really provided a wealth of information. I found 28mm 2.8 FD and a 50mm 1.8 FD in great shape on eBay for almost nothing. The Ciecio adapter just arrived from Poland and both lenses mount to the camera just fine but I'm not sure if I should be able to stop down the aperture (it stays wide open) or if I have to shoot this way. Any suggestions?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 1 month later...
Hi Ron. I purchased some old Canon FD lenses and use a really cheap ($20) adapter off of ebay. The adapter worked fine with my Canon FD 50mm lens, but the aperture of my Canon FD 28mm lens would get stuck wide open.

I noticed a lever on each lens that gets pushed into position when connected to the adapter. My adapter has a very small screw that engages this lever. On my 28mm lens, the screw was just a bit too small to make good contact. After searching for a longer screw and not finding one, I gently bent the lever, and now it works fine. I wouldn't have done this with an expensive lens, but as the 28mm only cost me $40, I wasn't too concerned.

Suffice to say the better adapters are probably made to much higher tolerances, and this probably wouldn't have been an issue.

cheers,
Dave

i had this same problem with my adapter.
there is a little metal finger that sticks up.
You have to slide this to the side and hold it there as you put the lens into the adapter.
Then the aperture works perfectly on the lens.
strange but true  ;)