Editing Laptop: Macbook Pro 15" or Dell XPS 9570 (I9

smoke23

I'm in the market to buy a new video editing laptop so I can do edits when I'm on the go. I've narrowed my choices down to the new Macbook Pro 15" (2018) or the Dell XPS 9570 (I9, 32gb, 4K screen). My budget is around $2800.

I shoot with a Panasonic GH5 and mostly shoot in 4K. I do shoot 10 Bit color depending on the project. I also have a Atomos Ninja Infero in Avid DNx. I edit in Premiere Pro and on a Windows 10 PC. I had a Macbook Pro (2010) and I tried editing in Final Cut Pro X when it first came out, but could not get used to it. I've read that the latest version is lighting fast with the new Macbook Pros. I've been editing in Premiere for the past 10 years though.

I'm honestly looking for the best investment for my money. Any suggestions and which configuration would be best?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you're going to stick to editing in Premiere then I'd go with the Dell. There's really no reason to use Premiere on a Mac, you'll have more power, etc. with a PC. 

Do you know anyone that has a Mac and FCP X that you could use to test to see if it's something you can get into? There is a bit of a learning curve, one I've never been patient enough to get beyond, but those that do swear by it. 

Overall I'd just figure out what you want to edit with and make your decision from there. 

It seems like the decision is if you're swapping to FCPX or not.

I'd suggest watching some of those "I switched from PP to FCPX" videos, some about FCPX to PP, and see if you can find any where people went PP -> FCPX ->PP again, and listen to the reasons why people made those switches and what their impressions were.  

It depends on what style of editing you do as each editor will have slightly different strengths and weaknesses, and will have slightly different philosophies / approaches to things.  It's about how well they fit to how you like to think and what your workflow looks like.

I use Resolve, not because it's "the best" (it's not) but because it fits my mindset and workflow.

Resolve works way better on my XPS 9560 than Premier Pro but it's still a struggle with thermal throttling during rendering and extended playback times even with a 2nd internal SSD as a scratch drive. If you are using the Avid codec it will be a lot easier though as I'm mostly working now with the GH5's internal 400mbps codec which PP just can't handle very well at all on the XPS. I'd suggest you also look at some gaming oriented machines as they have more powerful GPU's that Resolve can use and most importantly they have better cooling systems that will run high intensity tasks without overheating. The 9570 has a better CPU than the 9560 but the cooling system is the same and in particular ( if you want to get technical) it's the voltage regulators which over heat  and bring it to it's knees even if you do a CPU and GPU repaste and other mods. 

I'm on the same spot but on the opposite way. I've been with mac since the powermac G5 and I do love FCPX but I'm seriously considering moving to PC and Resolve with a little bit of Vegas 16 (at the end of the month).

I agree with everybody here. If you're going to stick to Premiere get the Dell. If you want to try Resolve, get the Dell. If you want to try FCPX obviously get the macbook pro, but it's going to be an expensive test.

I've build a gaming PC for my children as an excuse and I'm loving it even though it's an i3. I chose the wrong components to build a hackintosh and struggled to make one. Next I'm building a golden build and try again with an i5, if it works, I'll stick with apple a little longer but if I can't because I'm an idiot, I'm moving everything to PC and get that same Dell with Resolve.

• 4 months later...

If you are considering an XPS, do give these links a quick perusing. I only included a couple forums about the same problem on a specific model, if you google further I'm sure you will find much much more!

Dell XPS 9570 Audio Fun Fun Fun Forums!

MORE FUNS

I understand these stories all too well...

Specs and "benchmarks" are great, as long as your computer works and continues to work past the refund policy date. ? 

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't think the Dell XPS 9570 is a great idea. It is a turd according to Amazon. I guess if you get a good one but.. Not many others people reviews around?

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B07D3M3377/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=1

On the basis of reading any amazon review you wouldn't buy anything......

No thin laptop is a good idea for tasks that require prolonged high intensity CPU and GPU use.

Meanwhile I just priced out a i5 8600 pc build including 16gb of 2666 ram, an m.2 drive, a Radeon 580 8gb card and a super wide screen lg 25ips screen with other parts for $1000. That outta handle my a6500 footage right?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4vcKLJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4vcKLJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($193.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($118.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($127.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Core Edition Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($68.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($36.81 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: LG - 25UM58-P 25.0" 2560x1080 60 Hz Monitor  ($176.98 @ B&H) 
Total: $1088.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-01 10:33 EST-0500

I think I would go with a bigger power supply, that is just about minimum this day and age, But that CPU is pretty good yet in this day and age. And I just don't think that GPU is going to make it for 4K usage. It is below a GTX 970, and that is not so hot either now. Look at buying a used GPU. Gamers are always upgrading, dumping their last year high end stuff. Buy it off Amazon, you can always send it back if it is not as described. Even Craigslist in the states has some good buys on gamer stuff used.

And I hope your eyesight is pretty good. A 25" monitor in this day and age is pretty damn small for editing. I know people use Laptops to edit, but if you look at them straight on their eyeballs are crossed LoL. There is tons of 27's out. 2K is not too bad, but now with HLG, HDR maybe time for a 4K monitor? A sort of future proof purchase. Again a used one is not the worse thing. A lot of gamers are going to 120 hz ones, so 60 hz ones are around used.

@webrunner5 thanks for your input! I am behind on the gpu research as I wanted to keep the possibility of a hackintosh on there. I will update! Ideally I’d have two screens but as this is a budget machine for something that is only a hobby I figured a wide screen would help. In my 9-5 I have 2 screens and a vertical screen so yes that would be the ideal setup for sure!

51 minutes ago, Dustin said:

@webrunner5 thanks for your input! I am behind on the gpu research as I wanted to keep the possibility of a hackintosh on there. I will update! Ideally I’d have two screens but as this is a budget machine for something that is only a hobby I figured a wide screen would help. In my 9-5 I have 2 screens and a vertical screen so yes that would be the ideal setup for sure!

Just go to one of the benchmark places and that is the best way to see. Nobody needs the top one on the list but there is some cheaper options a person needs to consider. But yeah stick with a GPU with at least 6gb or more. It does depend on what NLE you are using I guess. But like I said I like to somewhat future proof myself a little bit.

Now if that was the RX 580 Crossfire that would be a great GPU. But is will kind of get the job done. Not the worse choice out there. The 8gb part is nice.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+RX+580&id=3736

I just wanted to report, after shooting around the holidays with my A6500 in 4k 24fps and 1080 120fps, I wanted to test Davinci Resolve's Optimize Media render times. I must say I am IMPRESSED. I was able to make ProRes LT proxies and now my timeline is buttery smooth. The real kicker is the speed at which it was able to do this for me. In the past I had tried to use premiere to do this, but my computer would wind up crashing after 40 minutes. I was able to get around 80 4k clips and 40 120fps clips (various time lengths) optimized in around 45 minutes. I've been going crazy researching for a new laptop but my gosh perhaps, I can hold off and keep saving in the meantime with this awesome feature. Another tick in the pro's column for Davinci Resolve and another ding in the "Going Back to Premiere". (So far I really don't see myself going back..considering I'm on the free version and it's doing just fine...)

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I just wanted to report, after shooting around the holidays with my A6500 in 4k 24fps and 1080 120fps, I wanted to test Davinci Resolve's Optimize Media render times. I must say I am IMPRESSED. I was able to make ProRes LT proxies and now my timeline is buttery smooth. The real kicker is the speed at which it was able to do this for me. In the past I had tried to use premiere to do this, but my computer would wind up crashing after 40 minutes. I was able to get around 80 4k clips and 40 120fps clips (various time lengths) optimized in around 45 minutes. I've been going crazy researching for a new laptop but my gosh perhaps, I can hold off and keep saving in the meantime with this awesome feature. Another tick in the pro's column for Davinci Resolve and another ding in the "Going Back to Premiere". (So far I really don't see myself going back..considering I'm on the free version and it's doing just fine...)

Nice to hear you're having a good experience!

In case you're not aware of it, the second level of caching to keep that performance even if you've got a million effects applied is to render the relevant parts of the timeline.  To do this, go to Playback -> Render Cache -> set to User.  Then on the timeline, right-click on the relevant clips and select Render Cache Colour Output and it will render those clips with the grading you've applied to that clip, like the Render Timeline in days of old.

You can also set the Render Cache to Smart and it tries to work out which bits of the timeline to render for you, sometimes it gets it right and other times it doesn't, but it can be useful.  There's also the Playback -> Proxy Mode settings, which I'm not that clear on, but I think they reduce the resolution of the preview window, requiring less work to play things in the preview window.

Also of note is that Resolve has two playback modes, toggled by the Show All Video Frames option in the context menu on the viewer window (on the top-right corner of the viewer there is a button with three dots which opens the menu).  If that option is enabled it will show all frames and if it can't keep up then the sound will cut in and out, and if that option is disabled and it can't keep up then it will play the timeline at normal speed with continuous audio but with a jerky video component.  If Resolve can keep up then that option doesn't make any difference.

Performance in Resolve is managed by many different methods and settings.  This flowchart is old but might still be useful for some.

4K-to-1080P-to-4K-Workflow.jpg?w=978&ssl