New Sony TVs to have "Netflix Calibrated Mode"

kye

Article: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/netflix-mode-comes-new-sony-master-series-tvs-1130621

In a unique collaboration between a consumer electronics manufacturer and a content company, Sony is launching its new top-of-the-line "Master series" OLED and LCD TVs with "Netflix Calibrated Mode," created in partnership with the streaming giant, with the goal of helping viewers see Netflix content in the way that the filmmakers intended.

Looks like the industry is gradually getting colour and gamma standards in place..

With this new mode, the menu setting effectively takes picture information that might be used in a grading suite with a professional reference monitor, and applies it to the display of the program, with the goal of allowing Netflix viewers to get accurate color and contrast, including when they are viewing content in 4K resolution or high dynamic range (HDR).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

It basically just means it turns off all the "enhancements".

Yeah, it's basically a "turn off the crap nonsense and do a rough calibration" mode, but whatever works.

FWIW, I walked into a brew pub last night and they had "Shawshank Redemption" playing on their large screen (first of all, why?) ...and frame interpolation mode was turned up to 11... If it takes some silly marketing from Sony and Netflix to put a dent in that trend, then I'm all for it.

Motionflow, Auto Motion Plus, AquoMotion, ClearFrame, ClearScan, Smooth Motion, TruMotion, Clear Motion Drive, Cinema Smoother... No wonder people don't have any idea what the Soap Opera effect is and how to cope with it on their new TeeVee's.

Of course, some people actually LIKE it.  For instance, you can watch the Zapruder film now on your new display and actually solve the Kennedy assassination.

With more and more time spent with a computer screen (laptops and my children in ipads) I'm considering less and less to buy a new TV. Instead I'm looking at a Bluetooth speaker and some good portable projector to take it to any room we want or with us on a trip.

Most of the time we're consuming Netflix on our own and just sometimes we gather for some film so having a giant black box in a room it's starting to not make sense (although the difference in quality will be enormous in compare with the projector). Maybe I'm the only one thinking about this, who knows. But a Netflix mode is a good call, even better if it activates automatically when the app is selected.

It took about 10 minutes to go through all the settings and turn off all the crap enhancements on my TV; about one quarter of the time it took to program my new camera - or twice as long as it takes to put on my jeans first thing in the morning.

This news is odd, as I thought Dolby Vision already had metadata on a frame by frame basis that adjusted the brightness and color of Netflix shows delivered in that format; as for HDR10, I wasn’t aware it was even possible to make those types of adjustments on a frame by frame basis. 

Guess I was mistaken!

• Super Members
4 hours ago, Ivko Pivko said:

With more and more time spent with a computer screen (laptops and my children in ipads) I'm considering less and less to buy a new TV. Instead I'm looking at a Bluetooth speaker and some good portable projector to take it to any room we want or with us on a trip.

We were looking for a TV for the bedroom last year and ended up getting a small (like stupidly small) LG projector.

We just have an Amazon FireStick plugged in to it so we can watch Prime, Netflix and Kodi content and I have to say its worked out brilliantly.

Its only 1280 x 720 native resolution so I'll get run out of town for mentioning it on here ;) but its actually pretty decent and at €200 was by far the cheapest and painless way to get a 70" TV in there!

As its so portable (and has an internal rechargeable battery too) we throw it in a bag and take it with us if we are going somewhere for a while or, like tomorrow, going to my brother's for a barbecue and a DIY movie under the stars night. I hope his grandkids are keen on WW2 films as we are planning on that particular movie being Where Eagles Dare !

Its a noisy bugger though but its a discontinued one (hence the price) that was released in 2014 so I'm sure the later generations will be better, cheaper, quieter and support bluetooth. Our one has a line out that I just connect to a £10 bluetooth transmitter.

As you say, with families all spending so much time watching content on their own screens, it does seem superfluous to have the traditional big TV in a family room these days and I think the projector is a good solution because it does make it a bit more special to kill the lights and have the cinema experience when you actually are going to watch something together.

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

It took about 10 minutes to go through all the settings and turn off all the crap enhancements on my TV; about one quarter of the time it took to program my new camera

The same here. 

I'm not sure why some people get so bent out of shape about this. The default settings are what they are because market research shows that's what your average consumer wants. If you don't like them, then change them.

4 hours ago, Dan Sherman said:

market research shows that's what your average consumer wants. 

What they want or are least likely to complain about?  

Manufacturer's strategy is to make IQ in the showroom look as engaging as possible.  So, they apply that mode by default.  Most consumers are too ignorant to understand why their movies now all look a bit different.  They're not aware enough to think about it.

But, if Netflix has a bit of code in their streaming signal that actively tells the TV what settings to adopt....well then, problem solved.

Remove the opportunity for stupidity.

8 hours ago, Dan Sherman said:

The default settings are what they are because market research shows that's what your average consumer wants. If you don't like them, then change them.

I may be nit-picking, but there might be a difference between what the customers want at home and what will make it sell on the shop floor.

There's a thing with hifi speakers about treble - manufacturers deliberately turn the treble up too high because on the shop floor it makes them sound 'detailed' and so they out-sell the other speakers in the line-up,  Of course, at home, in a quiet, much more absorbing environment, the speakers sound bad and will be fatiguing.  Tests show that more treble is preferable when doing a quick test, but when doing a longer test more balanced speakers win out.

13 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

What they want or are least likely to complain about?  

9 hours ago, kye said:

I may be nit-picking, but there might be a difference between what the customers want at home and what will make it sell on the shop floor.

I'm going to stick with what they want!

Imo, your average consumer is clueless when it comes the details of tv technology. For tvs all they know is HDR is the "must have" right now, and to a lot of them that just means the brighter the better. When I purchased my 4k Samsung on black Friday 2016 I had to spend about 2 hrs waiting on customer service in my local Best Buy. From all the conversations I heard, brightness, size, and "smartness" were the primary factors going into what tv someone purchased.   

afaik, most people are consuming content on smartphones and tablets with tiny little displays, poor blacks, inaccurate color gamut, low resolution, with reflections that wash out saturation and contrast and listening with tinny sounding earbuds, if at all. and it doesn't bother me in the least. anymore than I care about the crap movies and music videos they're watching on those devices; or the horrible cat whiskers they apply when taking selfies with same.