Wide angle lens for Panasonic GX85 | Help

JackHorror

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, JackHorror said:

@sgreszcz I see vignette with Laowa, is there any way to avoid that with that lens on GX85?

@homestar_kevin Does the SLR Magic 8mm f/4 vignette also on GX85?

No, there’s no way to avoid vignetting with the Laowa - it persists even through f/11. That’s the price you pay with such a fast, tiny wide angle. 

On 8/6/2018 at 6:37 PM, JackHorror said:

@sgreszcz I see vignette with Laowa, is there any way to avoid that with that lens on GX85?

@homestar_kevin Does the SLR Magic 8mm f/4 vignette also on GX85?

I've just picked the SLR magic 8mm up last month and haven't tested it extensively, but there's no vignetting that I've seen

It's actually a really cool little lens if you can deal with the  F-stop and less than stellar handling.

3 hours ago, ShaunC said:

And the SLR magic 8mm is on sale at B and H right now. $129. I’ve read mixed reviews but at that price I’ve just grabbed one. 

Came in here to share this actually. hahaha

This is how I grabbed my copy, from a b&h sale in June.

Definitely worth it IMO. I actually really like it on the Pocket Camera because it's tiny and is around 24mm FOV on there.

4 hours ago, ShaunC said:

And the SLR magic 8mm is on sale at B and H right now. $129. I’ve read mixed reviews but at that price I’ve just grabbed one. 

I just placed my order as well. 
Actually, it cost me nearly twice ish as much though! Because I couldn't resist picking up a few other things as well..... 

image.thumb.png.2bdcb5165e4fc9ecd333f676071ffc6c.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 6:52 AM, IronFilm said:

Yup, the only time I've had a sizeable order just disappear ? 2nd time lucky this time I hope! At the very least it should be a great lens to vlog with my BMPCC

Mine arrived. Hope yours did too. Only shot a few seconds with it so far (on a gx85) but I like the couple of clips I got. For the price I reckon it’s a bargain.

20 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

So close to picking it up for $89 but I have a lot of experience with new Chinese lenses and the copy variation is not worth the risk, probably why it is so cheap. It probably wont have a flat focal plane. Actually, that's not really an issue with such a wide lens. I think my 12-32mm with Ricoh GW6 wide converter will be better as a 9.5mm f3.5 lens. 9.5mm is plenty wide enough for me, but it's only $89. Its gonna be snapped up fast, need to decide ??

15 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well you get what you pay for. You are not going to get a Leica lens for even the list price LoL.That is like 50% off the list. You will not find one cheaper. And if you don't like it they will take it back.

I am in Asia so its not worth sending back as postage is $36. Just filled everything in to pay then bottled it when I got to PayPal. ?

I will stick with what I have (which is surprisingly good at the right aperture) and then get a 10mm or 10.5mm when I can afford the SLR Magic at $599 at B&H. Saving for the BMPCC 4K at the moment (or maybe even the Nikon Z6 if it has the video specs). I wish they sold the SLR Magic for $599 locally as I am not comfortable spending that much on the other side of the world. Or if Laowa (more likely a 9mm zero distortion f2.8) or someone else makes one. Its a gaping hole in M43 lenses at least for autofocus primes. A Sigma 10.5mm f2.8 would be the perfect ultra wide angle M43 lens for me. Would be too big at f1.4 and an f2.8 would be cheaper.

Still might re-open that Adorama tab...