NX1 panning super jittery

Allen Smith

26 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

No, but I've seen other mentions of this glitch. My NX1 sometimes has weird color in single frames when using a Kelvin white balance. It's like I'm shooting in Gamma DR and then one frame will be in Gamma Normal. It only happens with a sudden change in exposure, like if I quickly close the aperture while shooting video. And only in Kelvin white balance mode. I never had any color issues in any white balance presets, or using a grey card, or even in AWB.

Yes! I was filming a wedding and the band had stage lights and when the light hit the lens, it went green many times. It was in the middle of the first dance and messed up everything. But these glitches happen only, when the camera has been on for several hours.  Anyway, Thanks for everything, I now know, that I`m crazy! It is so fantastic, when people give so much input on forums like this one! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, KnightsFan said:

@DaveBerg Haha, I totally understand! I once tried gaming with a 4k monitor, but it was limited to 30 fps and I couldn't stand it! It really is just that we are used to "cinema" being really slow. I sometimes shoot whitewater kayaking at 120 as well. The motion is beautiful, really a night and day difference compared to 30 or 24. Although, I'm not sure I'm ready for that smoothness in a narrative film yet.

I have issues like this too. I have an "80 MB/s" 32GB SanDisk that is too slow for 120 fps (though it works perfectly for 4k/24). Then I've got a pair of "45 MB/s" 16GB SanDisks that are somehow fast enough for 120. Doesn't really make sense to me. Actually, my NX1 is on its way out to be honest. It freezes from time to time, it even did so while shooting tests yesterday. Sometimes the screen is half black, or the menu won't come up. So far, battery pulls have fixed every problem... but I don't think I'll use it on real projects anymore.

No, but I've seen other mentions of this glitch. My NX1 sometimes has weird color in single frames when using a Kelvin white balance. It's like I'm shooting in Gamma DR and then one frame will be in Gamma Normal. It only happens with a sudden change in exposure, like if I quickly close the aperture while shooting video. And only in Kelvin white balance mode. I never had any color issues in any white balance presets, or using a grey card, or even in AWB.

Card speeds are usually read speeds, the write speeds vary considerably depending on the brand, model and capacity. Cards with smaller capacities often have much lower write speeds than the higher capacity versions, so you need to be aware of that.

The Kelvin white balance thing is likely a computational glitch. I would guess that the white balance adjustment values used by the camera internally are not linear with respect to exposure so a sudden change might throw it off briefly.

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

Card speeds are usually read speeds, the write speeds vary considerably depending on the brand, model and capacity.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

Cards with smaller capacities often have much lower write speeds than the higher capacity versions, so you need to be aware of that.

That's why surprising that at 32 GB with a max read speed of 80 MB/s has a slower write speed than a 16 GB card with a max read of 45 MB/s, both from SanDisk.

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

The Kelvin white balance thing is likely a computational glitch. I would guess that the white balance adjustment values used by the camera internally are not linear with respect to exposure so a sudden change might throw it off briefly.

It's a glitch of some kind, yes. It's strange that it is only present in that one specific white balance mode, though.

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 1:22 AM, KnightsFan said:

It's a glitch of some kind, yes. It's strange that it is only present in that one specific white balance mode, though.

Hi everyone! I am still using NX1 as well. :)

Jitter and turning green?

I have experienced both. When filming in nature I started noticing that when turning the camera towards greenery, the pic got more magenta-ish when WB was locked. Opposite happens too. This made me realize Samsung had all figured out correctly; if we lock the color on the Kelvin blue-yellow axis, it can still freely move on the tint axis. So it is not completely locked, obviously. The Kelvin is locked, tint is automatic. Very logical of Samsung ? ? .  All color is locked when all axes are locked in custom color or presets.

Jitter. I had always jitter when editing the H265 footage directly in Sony Vegas Pro, and the jitter even did remain on YouTube. With every camera setting and render settings I used.
The jitter went away once I started to use RockyMountains Movie Converter and edited with anything but H265. I am still wondering what is the reason, but probably it has something to do with H265 and how players and NLEs handle it.

On 4/8/2019 at 3:33 PM, musaire said:

Hi everyone! I am still using NX1 as well. :)

Jitter and turning green?

I have experienced both. When filming in nature I started noticing that when turning the camera towards greenery, the pic got more magenta-ish when WB was locked. Opposite happens too. This made me realize Samsung had all figured out correctly; if we lock the color on the Kelvin blue-yellow axis, it can still freely move on the tint axis. So it is not completely locked, obviously. The Kelvin is locked, tint is automatic. Very logical of Samsung ? ? .  All color is locked when all axes are locked in custom color or presets.

Jitter. I had always jitter when editing the H265 footage directly in Sony Vegas Pro, and the jitter even did remain on YouTube. With every camera setting and render settings I used.
The jitter went away once I started to use RockyMountains Movie Converter and edited with anything but H265. I am still wondering what is the reason, but probably it has something to do with H265 and how players and NLEs handle it.

you are the first person I heard mentioning setting tint/blue-yellow for color temp to avoid white balance shift. Very valuable post for those who have stated white balance shift occurs when set to a K value. Will surely be doing this.