Attaching SSD to 5D Mark III?

JORSLUK

About Andrew said... some brave? ;)

What about attaching an SSD to the 5D Mark III?

5d3-cf165.jpg

There is actually a way to connect an SSD drive to the 5D Mark III’s card slot, but it is currently untested. The adapter in question is the Sycard CF Extend 165. This goes from the CF card slot on your camera to a PCIExpress interface with ExpressCard slot on the end. However as it is a very niche hardware developer’s tool, I’m having a hard time finding one in Europe.

Various options exist for ExpressCard slots. There are ExpressCard SSDs like this one which top out around 256GB, though whether it will be any faster than the best CF cards remains to be seen. There’s also the question of power draw and whether the CF card slot can provide enough power to the SSD.

You can even attach the super fast 2.5″ SSDs for PCs and Macs to the ExpressCard slot via an E-Sata adapter and caddy, though I very much doubt the CF card slot on the 5D Mark III can power it all. You’d very likely need an external power source for that and a E-Sata adapter that would allow you to connect one.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 5D3 powers off if the CF card door is opened. So you need to find a solution for that as well.

The speed is not only determined by the media, also the CF card controller in the camera has a maximum. What it is, I don't know. Maybe it can do the full UDMA-7 speed (167MB/s), but that is not guaranteed.