Anamorphic Super 8mm (Baby isco)

MRSEAN

Hello all, long time reader here posting for the first time.

My question is in regard to shooting Super 8mm with the Iscomorphot 8/1.5x

The cameras I have are:

Canon 310 XL, Eumig 128 XL, Nizo S560

I'm using a redstan clamp, and when I attach the Iscomorphot to each of the cameras I see vignetting through viewfinder at all focal lengths. Will this vignetting be visible on exposed footage to the same extent as that seen through the viewfinder?

Is the aim to get the rear element of baby isco as close to taking lens as possible? Redstan clamp has thread which can position it either very close or a little further away depending on which way round it is mounted.

Any advice on shooting Kodak Vision 3 200t and 500t with the above cameras would also be very welcome.

A thousand thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, MRSEAN said:

Hello all, long time reader here posting for the first time.

My question is in regard to shooting Super 8mm with the Iscomorphot 8/1.5x

The cameras I have are:

Canon 310 XL, Eumig 128 XL, Nizo S560

I'm using a redstan clamp, and when I attach the Iscomorphot to each of the cameras I see vignetting through viewfinder at all focal lengths. Will this vignetting be visible on exposed footage to the same extent as that seen through the viewfinder?

Is the aim to get the rear element of baby isco as close to taking lens as possible? Redstan clamp has thread which can position it either very close or a little further away depending on which way round it is mounted.

Any advice on shooting Kodak Vision 3 200t and 500t with the above cameras would also be very welcome.

A thousand thanks in advance!

The vignetting experienced is normally to do with the focal length of the taking lens being too wide. So, when you say that you've tried all focal lengths, what have you tried?

The other thing, have you set your taking lens to infinity - as with this tiny anamorphic, this is what you do, then you use the focus ring on the anamorphic.

And to you question about the rear element - Yes, you should ideally try to get it as close to the taking lens, but this has more to do with reducing internal lens flares, than vignetting (but it can help with this too).

I had this lens ages ago, but only used it on a DSLR, so taking lens was 58mm & above. Dreamy soft wide open, but stop the taking lens down a little to f4 & it should be sharpish (I say sharpish, as it won't be modern lens sharp, but sharp for this anamorphic).

Thanks for reply. Yes have set taking lens to infinity etc. I have tried all focal lengths on the Super 8 cameras stated above. (I.e. Canon: 8.5-25.5mm, Eumig: 7-56mm and the Nizo: 7-56mm) Vignetting appears via the prism/viewfinder but am unsure about whether this is an accurate reflection of how the exposed footage will look. Guess I'll know once I get a roll developed! 

Pretty sure the iscomorphot was made for 8mm projectors/cameras and therefore would have assumed it worked quite easily with Super 8 cameras. Guess one needs to find a camera with a taking lens that has a small front diameter in order to minimize vignetting.

If anybody else has any info please chime in! Cheers

On 7/28/2018 at 1:38 PM, MRSEAN said:

Thanks for reply. Yes have set taking lens to infinity etc. I have tried all focal lengths on the Super 8 cameras stated above. (I.e. Canon: 8.5-25.5mm, Eumig: 7-56mm and the Nizo: 7-56mm) Vignetting appears via the prism/viewfinder but am unsure about whether this is an accurate reflection of how the exposed footage will look. Guess I'll know once I get a roll developed! 

Pretty sure the iscomorphot was made for 8mm projectors/cameras and therefore would have assumed it worked quite easily with Super 8 cameras. Guess one needs to find a camera with a taking lens that has a small front diameter in order to minimize vignetting.

If anybody else has any info please chime in! Cheers

That is strange. Have you tried attaching to a camera that isn't Super8 & then seeing if it isn't the lens.

Still think it might need a longer taking lens.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been filming Super8 with anamorphics a lot. The Iscomorphot is the grand daddy of Iscoramas and from the 8mm area. Maybe you could try the cheap Cosina/Revue pocket camera. They were sometimes sold with Baby Hypergonards (rarely) when I remember right. I have seen footage from that combo (hurt my eyes). I recommend using stock with very little grain: Kodak 50D. The grain will be stretched and become more prominant.