Cheap fluidhead without kickback

Nikkor

I need a cheap fluidhead that can handle a eos m with máx 70-200 lens and a nikon d800 with the same lens.

Ideally it would be cheap (150€ :) ), light and small.

I would like to be able to do precise movements. Years ago I bought a manfrotto 500 something and it would always ruin the shot if I let go of the handle. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There is no such thing as a Good, Cheap, Fluidhead LoL. Actually any Fliudhead below 500 bucks probably does not really have any fluid in it.

I would not begine to buy a new one. ebay, Crigslist have some half decent older, better stuff for what you pay for a new Crap O Matic one. My Manfrotto 502 I paid 150 bucks used for it at a Rental House in Cincy. I think it is pretty good for they money. Is is perfect, no, but unless you want to spend 12 Grand for a top end Sachtler, which probably still is not perfect LoL, I think used is the way to go.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/327982-REG/Sachtler_7500_Video_75_Plus_EFP.html

On 7/25/2018 at 9:12 AM, Nikkor said:

I need a cheap fluidhead that can handle a eos m with máx 70-200 lens and a nikon d800 with the same lens.

I would like to be able to do precise movements. Years ago I bought a manfrotto 500 something and it would always ruin the shot if I let go of the handle

"Years ago I bought a manfrotto 500 something and it would always ruin the shot if I let go of the handle" That's because you didn't properly set the counter balance on the video head, another factor could be your camera setup is to lightweight for the head. 

No such thing as a cheap fluid head as most budget designs are not true fluid heads and just friction devices. Best entry level fluid head today is probably the EImage range esp the GH06 which some have found to be better than the Sachtler FSB range. Kick-back at the end of a pan is not caused by the head but the tripod which will twist under torsional load and then spring back when the load is removed. Again the only solution to this is a better ( twin tube not mono tube) and generally more expensive tripod. The main reason video tripods are twin tube and photo tripods are mono tube is for this very reason. The bottom line is that to guarantee repeatable smooth and precise movements you need to spend a lot of money AND the longer the lens you use the better the quality has to be to ensure smoothness. Not forgetting that smooth camera movements with even the best kit also require user skill from lots of practice. 

On 7/25/2018 at 6:12 AM, Nikkor said:

I would like to be able to do precise movements. Years ago I bought a manfrotto 500 something and it would always ruin the shot if I let go of the handle. 

At this price you're going to have to decide what shortcomings you can live with. I would say nothing in that range won't have some backlash, as others have mentioned its friction crap vs. a true fluid head. Manfrotto's stuff is rubbish below about $800 for the head alone (so is pretty much everything else). The E-Image from Ikan is just rebadged cheap Chinese generic heads you can get from Amazon for less. I'd spend some time on youtube watching reviews to find the best of the worst in that price range, and until then use the old rubber band trick to help with the backlash. Cheap heads also have a lot of stepping when tilting and panning at the same time. A video head is one of those areas where its difficult to find low cost/high performance gear. 

Chris

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

At this price you're going to have to decide what shortcomings you can live with. I would say nothing in that range won't have some backlash, as others have mentioned its friction crap vs. a true fluid head. Manfrotto's stuff is rubbish below about $800 for the head alone (so is pretty much everything else). The E-Image from Ikan is just rebadged cheap Chinese generic heads you can get from Amazon for less. I'd spend some time on youtube watching reviews to find the best of the worst in that price range, and until then use the old rubber band trick to help with the backlash. Cheap heads also have a lot of stepping when tilting and panning at the same time. A video head is one of those areas where its difficult to find low cost/high performance gear. 

Chris

I suggest you read some reviews of the GH06 before condemn it. The rubber band trick only helps with smoothing motion and does little for bounce-back which as I said is a result of torsional weakness in the tripod and nothing to do with the head.

I have never used a very expensive fluid head I can only imagine it would be like a finger in a pie. But he "only" wants to put a d800 on it. I tested this amazon travel tripod for 100 bucks once and also no fluid head smooth enough to do a straight forward pan on it.