Sony A7 III or Fujifilm X-H1?

aaa123jc

I've been working as a part time photographer and videographer for 1 year. But I always rent my camera and lenses, depending on the work that I need to do. 

Recently, my girlfriend wants to make a YouTube channel about cooking and finding good restaurants in Hong Kong. So I purchased a fuji X-H1 and a 16-55mm because it was a very good deal. Apart from helping her to make videos, I planned to use it for my professional shoots as well.

However, I've found it not very impressive and kinda want to sell it and buy the more expensive Sony A7 III instead.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1. I actually prefer the A7 III more for stills. The new Sony cameras I've rent before (A9 and A7 III) have better color and AF IMO.

2. Surprisingly I love the F-log. And I enjoy using the Eterna film stimulation as well.

3. The ergonomics of the X-H1 is better, IMO.

4. The Fuji lenses are usually much cheaper at least in the place I live.

I will be very grateful if you guys can give me any advice. Thank you.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I'll save another poster the hassle. Get the Samsung nx1 ;)

Thank you.

I am actually very interested at the NX1. But the lenses are really hard to find here. ?

Is the AF reliable on the NX1? Does it have a clean HDMI output (so that I can use an external recorder)? 

Thanks again.

32 minutes ago, aaa123jc said:

Thank you.

I am actually very interested at the NX1. But the lenses are really hard to find here. ?

Is the AF reliable on the NX1? Does it have a clean HDMI output (so that I can use an external recorder)? 

Thanks again.

If you buy a NX1 you will join a select few crowd on here of Maybe 2 people crazy enough to still have one, let alone use it LoL!  ?  Buy the A7 mk III. ?

And

"Unlike some cameras, there is no Intra frame (ALL-Intra) mode, however the NX1's HDMI port can stream clean, uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 4K video. You cannot however internally record and stream 4K simultaneously. When recording 4K to the memory card, HDMI output is limited to 1080p, and when streaming 4K you cannot record internally". Imaging Resorce.

Photography and videography are creative pursuits.  Creativity is an emotional task, and if technology gets in the way of that, making us angry or frustrated or even disappointed, then we're not going to be as creative, or enjoy ourselves as much.

Buy the camera that supports your creativity the best.

I use the Sony a7 iii actually. Previously I was thinking about the XH1 but im glad I went with the Sony.

Just some of the benefits of the Sony:

• Bigger battery
  • Video record button so you can start video recording in any mode
  • Better 1080p (XH1 has a bit of moire/aliasing)
  • Adapt vintage full frame glass without crop factor
  • More dynamic range and better low light capability (not that the XH1 is really lacking in this respect)
  • Native lens selection, for example: The Fuji 18mm f2 and 35mm f1.4 are quite loud and slow lenses. The Sony 28mm f2 and 50mm f1.8 are much better in this respect, whilst being around the same price. The Sony also has a 24-70mm f4 which is equivalent to Fuji's 16-55mm f2.8, but is cheaper and lighter. You also have the option of getting a 24-70mm f2.8 if you can bare the price and size.

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

If you buy a NX1 you will join a select few crowd on here of Maybe 2 people crazy enough to still have one, let alone use it LoL!  ?  Buy the A7 mk III. ?

And

"Unlike some cameras, there is no Intra frame (ALL-Intra) mode, however the NX1's HDMI port can stream clean, uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 4K video. You cannot however internally record and stream 4K simultaneously. When recording 4K to the memory card, HDMI output is limited to 1080p, and when streaming 4K you cannot record internally". Imaging Resorce.

Thank you for your input.

I can live with 8-bit 4:2:2. I don't usually do a lot of color grading anyway. As long as there's a clean signal so that I can record a whole performance with an external recorder, I am fine. 

And the NX1 is so much cheaper than the A7 iii...

11 hours ago, kye said:

Photography and videography are creative pursuits.  Creativity is an emotional task, and if technology gets in the way of that, making us angry or frustrated or even disappointed, then we're not going to be as creative, or enjoy ourselves as much.

Buy the camera that supports your creativity the best.

Thanks.

In this case I probably should go for a Sony A7 iii. I've used it multiple times and really enjoy using it. The X-H1 didn't really get in the way, but I just find the AF system not as reliable as the Sony. 

4 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I use the Sony a7 iii actually. Previously I was thinking about the XH1 but im glad I went with the Sony.

Just some of the benefits of the Sony:

• Bigger battery
  • Video record button so you can start video recording in any mode
  • Better 1080p (XH1 has a bit of moire/aliasing)
  • Adapt vintage full frame glass without crop factor
  • More dynamic range and better low light capability (not that the XH1 is really lacking in this respect)
  • Native lens selection, for example: The Fuji 18mm f2 and 35mm f1.4 are quite loud and slow lenses. The Sony 28mm f2 and 50mm f1.8 are much better in this respect, whilst being around the same price. The Sony also has a 24-70mm f4 which is equivalent to Fuji's 16-55mm f2.8, but is cheaper and lighter. You also have the option of getting a 24-70mm f2.8 if you can bare the price and size.

Thank you.

Yeah the X-H1 indeed has quite a bit of moire in the 1080P. I don't think there are as much in the 4K mode. I shoot mostly events and performances so I don't have any control of the clothing my clients will be wearing. So less moire is definitely better.

Weird, I never thought of that before reading your post.?

4 hours ago, Robin said:

Sony for all the reasons that make sense. Fuji for everything else 

I'm using an Xh1 for taking pretty pictures

Thanks for your input.

I've seen so many great photos taken by the X-H1. Maybe I still have to learn about how to use this camera properly. 

10 minutes ago, aaa123jc said:

Thank you for your input.

I can live with 8-bit 4:2:2. I don't usually do a lot of color grading anyway. As long as there's a clean signal so that I can record a whole performance with an external recorder, I am fine. 

And the NX1 is so much cheaper than the A7 iii...

Oh I was kidding about the NX1, it is a great camera. But it is not really supported anymore, probably will Never be a followup to it, so it is sort of a dead end system. I really don't think a person should put much money into it. So yeah if you can buy one cheap with the lens cheap, heck sure it will make some beautiful stuff at lower ISO's. It has some really nice features and the output is darn good. I mean you can take really great video with a Canon EOS Rebel T2i. It is about skill more than gear. And the only way you gain skill is going out and shoot, no matter the camera used.

Now one thing I am not sure about is can you adopt say a old Nikon MF lens, a EF lens, Pentax, on and on like you can on the Sony A7 stuff?? The NX1 users will have to chime on on that question. If you can't that is a Hell of a negative over the Sony stuff.

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Oh I was kidding about the NX1, it is a great camera. But it is not really supported anymore, probably will Never be a followup to it, so it is sort of a dead end system. I really don't think a person should put much money into it. So yeah if you can buy one cheap with the lens cheap, heck sure it will make some beautiful stuff at lower ISO's. It has some really nice features and the output is darn good. I mean you can take really great video with a Canon EOS Rebel T2i. It is about skill more than gear. And the only way you gain skill is going out and shoot, no matter the camera used.

To be honest, I've never actually seen one NX1 in action. ?

In Hong Kong, most people are either using Canon or Sony. It is very hard to get the Samsung lenses (used or new). The used market just isn't there. 

The only deal I can find here is a body with the 18-55mm kit lens which cost about 600 USD in total.

4 minutes ago, aaa123jc said:

To be honest, I've never actually seen one NX1 in action. ?

In Hong Kong, most people are either using Canon or Sony. It is very hard to get the Samsung lenses (used or new). The used market just isn't there. 

The only deal I can find here is a body with the 18-55mm kit lens which cost about 600 USD in total.

Holly crap that is really cheap. That would be tempting for even me. But the best lens to have for them is the 16-50mm f2.8, but is is expensive as heck, no surprise.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-16-50mm-2-0-2-8-Camera-Black/dp/B00HV6KMQ8

9 hours ago, Inazuma said:

• Native lens selection, for example: The Fuji 18mm f2 and 35mm f1.4 are quite loud and slow lenses. The Sony 28mm f2 and 50mm f1.8 are much better in this respect, whilst being around the same price.

Sony FE 50mm 1.8 is POS.. slow AF and loud noise, I think you mistaken for the Zeiss 55mm 1.8 which is slient and fast.. for just 4X the price.

Sony FE 28mm f2 is also pretty crappy imo.. terrible barrel distortion (masked by sony bodies internal correction), CA & cheap plastic construction. The Fujinons, expecially aforementioned 35mm f1.4 is a jewel in comparison with all-metal made in japan construction and sharpness & lack of distortion that place it close to utterly more expensive Leica equivalent lenses..

No with Sony you've got to spend loads for upper-tier GM or Zeiss if you wanna compete with Canon L, Nikon G ED, or even fast Fuji primes. 

As for OP i would advise to wait until Photokina in September, which is right around the corner. Canikon might just change the MILC game if they play their cards right.

Now is not the moment to switch systems.

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Holly crap that is really cheap. That would be tempting for even me. But the best lens to have for them is the 16-50mm f2.8, but is is expensive as heck, no surprise.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-16-50mm-2-0-2-8-Camera-Black/dp/B00HV6KMQ8

I know right. But I've found a new deal. For 1200 USD I can get the body and this 16-50 (used)! ?

2 hours ago, Django said:

Sony FE 28mm f2 is also pretty crappy imo.. terrible barrel distortion (masked by sony bodies internal correction), CA & cheap plastic construction. The Fujinons, expecially aforementioned 35mm f1.4 is a jewel in comparison with all-metal made in japan construction and sharpness & lack of distortion that place it close to utterly more expensive Leica equivalent lenses..

No with Sony you've got to spend loads for upper-tier GM or Zeiss if you wanna compete with Canon L, Nikon G ED, or even fast Fuji primes. 

As for OP i would advise to wait until Photokina in September, which is right around the corner. Canikon might just change the MILC game if they play their cards right.

So you are advising a guy to pass on a NX1 with a 18-55mm kit lens which cost 600 USD!! That is half price!

6 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Sony FE 50mm 1.8 is POS.. slow AF and loud noise, I think you mistaken for the Zeiss 55mm 1.8 which is slient and fast.. for just 4X the price.

Yeah, the 50mm 1.8 is pretty noisy. The 55mm 1.8 is probably going to be first prime that I'm gonna buy. 

2 hours ago, Django said:

Thank you for the input.

I agree the better Sony lenses are pretty expensive. That's why I have to rent them. ?

I have owned quite a few decent Canon lenses including several L's and while Sony does have some very expensive (but very nice) lenses, the equivalents for other mounts are not that much cheaper or in some cases are not cheaper.

There are fewer good cheap E mount lenses as yet because the system is a lot newer but there are some.

The FE 85 1.8 for instance, is I think, the biggest bargain going in photography for ANY brand.       Not too expensive but very sharp with great bokeh.

The Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 IS expensive for a 1.8 normal prime lens but it is anything but a "normal" lens and if it was made by Canon it would have an L ring on it.

The 28 f2 and 50 1.8 FF E mount lenses have their fans and are not too bad optically (the 50 especially seems to be ok optically but it is other things that it often gets pinged for).

That said, the 55 1.8 Sony Zeiss can often be had at quite reasonable prices - I got mine early on and even then didn't pay anything like MSRP though even at its MSRP it isn't overpriced for what it is.     Has put me off wanting any other normal primes after using a great many over many years.

There are other bargains now like the 28-75 2.8 Tamron too and even Samyang auto focus lenses with more all the time.

34 minutes ago, noone said:

I have owned quite a few decent Canon lenses including several L's and while Sony does have some very expensive (but very nice) lenses, the equivalents for other mounts are not that much cheaper or in some cases are not cheaper.

There are fewer good cheap E mount lenses as yet because the system is a lot newer but there are some.

The FE 85 1.8 for instance, is I think, the biggest bargain going in photography for ANY brand.       Not too expensive but very sharp with great bokeh.

The Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 IS expensive for a 1.8 normal prime lens but it is anything but a "normal" lens and if it was made by Canon it would have an L ring on it.

The 28 f2 and 50 1.8 FF E mount lenses have their fans and are not too bad optically (the 50 especially seems to be ok optically but it is other things that it often gets pinged for).

That said, the 55 1.8 Sony Zeiss can often be had at quite reasonable prices - I got mine early on and even then didn't pay anything like MSRP though even at its MSRP it isn't overpriced for what it is.     Has put me off wanting any other normal primes after using a great many over many years.

There are other bargains now like the 28-75 2.8 Tamron too and even Samyang auto focus lenses with more all the time.

The only big edge to me Canon, Nikon have on lenses is that there is a Lot of used ones out there. But good lens, L type ones are expensive as hell even used. They is no free lunch on late, AF top end lenses, none. Sure the 17-40mm f4.0 L lens is not bad price wise, but it is Very long in the tooth in this day and age. But it is one of a few bargains out there. But a lot of the old ones don't have Image stabilization in them at all, and are noisy focus motor wise, on and on.

love the nx1, and nx500 (x2) , just got the 16-50mm S lens, saving up for the 50-150mm,  if you have any doubts about the video quality out of this camera, just look at this 1080 sample:

i use the nx1 with : tokina 28-70mm, 24-70mm L, sigma 18-35mm,  all the cheap pancakes (16, 30, 45) ,  i think you can adapt fuji lenses as well.   the NXL speedbooster is a must with the nx1.  The only thing that may replace my nx1 is pocket4k, but that remains to be seen.  Sony is heck of a camera which can also adapt lenses easily. 

here is NX1 autofocus test with samsung lens

9 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I haven't mistaken it. I have it right here. In AF-S mode where the camera uses contrast detection it is a piece of shit but in AF-C mode where it uses phase detection the autofocus is decent.  And it's quieter than the Fuji 35mm F1.4

@Django talking about equivalent lenses here. The 28mm may have a cheaper construction than Fuji lenses, but compared to the fuji the 18mm f2, the focus ring is much better on the Sony and optically much better too. The Fuji is comparatively quite soft in the centre. At least my copy is.