Nikon FF Mirrorless

Aussie Ash

• Super Members

A bit more context here with it mounted on what looks like a D850 or D500 you can see how much of the rear taper behind the controls is still the lens so it suggests that the actual adapter is reasonably compact.

Again though, even if it was a native mount, that is a far, far bigger lens than you would be expecting them to be illustrating the benefits of a compact mirrorless setup with

Not to mention it being £11K !

images.jpeg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 hours ago, kye said:

Thanks @Aussie Ash and @BTM_Pix - I was definitely fooled!!

I was thinking WOW!! ??? 

I'd be thinking WOW!! if they have enough room to make a speed booster version of the adapter.

Faster versions of their back catalogue of already fast primes with full AF when shooting in Super 35 mode would be a bit of an OK thing.

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Don't be fooled by that picture. 

The lens is the 180-400 so what might appear to be a big clunky adapter at the rear isn't but is an integral part of that particular lens as it has an in built switchable tele converter (hence the 1x graphic) and a slot for drop in ND filters.

Here it is for context on a D5

450_1000.jpg

It looks big on the D5, it will be humongous looking on the new mirrorless.

HollyCow.gif

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/20/what-if-the-nikon-d3400-gets-replaced-by-a-mirrorless-aps-c-camera-with-f-mount.aspx/   

There is this last rumor coming out of nowhere about a future Nikon D3000 (lowest denominator in the Nikon lineup) camera coming soon, still with the traditional Fmount and Mirror Less. I guess if it is not competing branch in the Nikon management/engineers coming out at the same time. I always thought that Nikon would move its consumer APSC line  first to Mirrorless, because when you think about it, it is much cheaper to manufacture a Mirrorless camera than a dslr. You add and evf but get rid of the mechanical mirror mechanism, penta-mirror and AF module. You also won't be getting people complaining that the grip is too small, or where the AE button has been removed or that their 30 years old lens doesn't work well on it.

54 minutes ago, Django said:

Looks a lot less ridiculous than this imo..

[..]

There's always a next level ridiculous...

2vl4688.jpg

17 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/20/what-if-the-nikon-d3400-gets-replaced-by-a-mirrorless-aps-c-camera-with-f-mount.aspx/   

There is this last rumor coming out of nowhere about a future Nikon D3000 (lowest denominator in the Nikon lineup) camera coming soon, still with the traditional Fmount and Mirror Less. I guess if it is not competing branch in the Nikon management/engineers coming out at the same time. I always thought that Nikon would move its consumer APSC line  first to Mirrorless, because when you think about it, it is much cheaper to manufacture a Mirrorless camera than a dslr. You add and evf but get rid of the mechanical mirror mechanism, penta-mirror and AF module. You also won't be getting people complaining that the grip is too small, or where the AE button has been removed or that their 30 years old lens doesn't work well on it.

Been wishing on their D5x00 series to go mirrorless. That line-up is capable of some great results, but the traditional DSLR aspect I just find to be off-puting.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:25 PM, Danyyyel said:

From my own analysis, image resolution for photo and video should never be compared. Yours eyes can analyse a photo for hours if you want, while video is just superposition that moves perpetually. That's why true 2k looks so good in cinema image that are much bigger than any photograph, the first thing as it is moving so fast you cannot scan it (eyes brain) and secondly it is like those smartphone that stack image just move half or quarter pixel and a 12 mp image becomes a 36 etc. Another test is when you look a a freeze frame of a video it looks so much less detailed that when it moves.

6395040bba4b547d54375e96776c5cf64ef4f035

Latest image (mock up) from a true sample NR cannot show. The 16.9 screen bodes well for Nikon emphasis on video in this new Camera.

True 4K or true 8K would blow you away in cinemas though. Just because you are used to something and don't know any better does not mean that it can't be improved.

17 hours ago, Django said:

Next teaser should logically be "Videographers" ;)

I wouldn't bet on that. They're announcing the thing in two, three days, I don't know when would they have time for another video. One thing, after finally watching all the released ones, I got interested in what they don't talk about. And, as you've implied, still no mention of video and no mention of how amazing AF is going to be. Why?

But then again, I'm getting dragged into reading-the-future-from-a-crystal-ball mentality.

@Danko announcement is in 1 day 19 hours... but best believe this is only the start of their marketing campaign.. Notice the coming soon slot after "Photographers": https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/mirrorless-is-coming.page

Btw, there is no official mention of anything specific on the stills side either (AF, megapixels, DR etc).. just generic stuff like "more pictures you take the greater it is" "shooting becomes addictive" "when you zoom in you're still super sharp" lol.. 

On 8/20/2018 at 11:38 PM, Mokara said:

True 4K or true 8K would blow you away in cinemas though. Just because you are used to something and don't know any better does not mean that it can't be improved.

I was blown away when I saw the hobbit but in a bad way, the super resolution made it look like video and was very distracting, it is as if there was too much detail and your eyes or brain cannot focus as much on the subject, emotion or whatever portrait by the character. Perhaps hyper reality looses that dreamy kind of what film should look like.

A little disapointed for the size of the screen, I thought we would get a $+ inch screen for video/live view shooting and touch screen use. But perhaps it was too much to expect from a MILC that already have reputation of lower battery life. Lets hope we will get great eye, face subject auto tracking autofocus.

Interesting design. Not been amazed so far, I usually do not like the rotating dial selector at the right and there.are a few questionable decisions. I have to hold one first.

Funny that the lenses are called S.

Interesting end of August we will have, plenty releases for a usually quite period.

Comparison with the amazing D750 grip.

30867b2dcbbe516723c5e6e73d8b4dbd4d839bcf

Sony, please give us 4K60p on the lower mpx one (Z6), with IBIS and video AF as good as A7III and I will pay any price for this + a Z7 for stills. 

Those are basically A7III / A7R III with way better grip / ergonomics / menus / flat profile and colours (see D850...). 
Now because Nikon won't release a A7S competitor I hope they have put the best video features (4K60p) in the Z6 that compete with A7III. 

However I am afraid they just copied the A7III / RIII specs and did not look back.... Too bad because I will have to get an A7S III (and keep the A7III for stills to go with it) instead of those. 
Fingers crossed.