Nikon FF Mirrorless

Aussie Ash

46 minutes ago, kye said:

Ted from Art of Photography weighs in..  More discussion of what is required instead of predictions, but also has some discussion about the other players and overall industry.

Sensible guy gets overexcited and dissolves into cliches....

home run
game changer
24 bit
hit it out of the park 
revolutionary
WOW factor

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I guess we will find out soon, but I just don't see how Canon or Nikon can fit in this space and really move the ball down the road. Sony has such a lead on them.

Sony doesn't have the years of experience that Nikon has, it took a while for Sony to figure it out? 
I reckon Nikon has a better chance to hit the ground running, and be able to build off both their own photography experience and also the years of watching the mirrorless market develop with what does/doesn't work. (without first stumbling and making the early mirrorless mistakes that others did?)

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

Sensible guy gets overexcited and dissolves into cliches....

home run
game changer
24 bit
hit it out of the park 
revolutionary
WOW factor

This can happen to all of us if you cherry-pick the words you don't like out of a 12 minute video of us talking about basically anything?

On 8/14/2018 at 8:45 PM, kye said:

Ken says that ~6MP is enough, even for billboards!  https://kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

But seriously, he has a point that there's a level that is good enough for most things, and 24MP is probably beyond it.  In a sense this applies to video too, but 4K video is only 12MP and in consumer products is highly compressed in comparison to even JPG images, let alone RAW, so a few extra MP isn't ridiculous.

From my own analysis, image resolution for photo and video should never be compared. Yours eyes can analyse a photo for hours if you want, while video is just superposition that moves perpetually. That's why true 2k looks so good in cinema image that are much bigger than any photograph, the first thing as it is moving so fast you cannot scan it (eyes brain) and secondly it is like those smartphone that stack image just move half or quarter pixel and a 12 mp image becomes a 36 etc. Another test is when you look a a freeze frame of a video it looks so much less detailed that when it moves.

6395040bba4b547d54375e96776c5cf64ef4f035

Latest image (mock up) from a true sample NR cannot show. The 16.9 screen bodes well for Nikon emphasis on video in this new Camera.

7 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

From my own analysis, image resolution for photo and video should never be compared. Yours eyes can analyse a photo for hours if you want, while video is just superposition that moves perpetually. That's why true 2k looks so good in cinema image that are much bigger than any photograph, the first thing as it is moving so fast you cannot scan it (eyes brain) and secondly it is like those smartphone that stack image just move half or quarter pixel and a 12 mp image becomes a 36 etc. Another test is when you look a a freeze frame of a video it looks so much less detailed that when it moves.

Your argument is a good one - 1080p stills are never sharp even if the footage looks like it was - I've played that game before!

I'm not sure that photo and video resolution should never be compared in a general way, but I agree that they shouldn't be compared in a like-for-like sense.

8 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

6395040bba4b547d54375e96776c5cf64ef4f035

Latest image (mock up) from a true sample NR cannot show. The 16.9 screen bodes well for Nikon emphasis on video in this new Camera.

Looks pretty good to me. The control and button layout looks remarkably A7x to me but that isnt a bad thing.

I much prefer Nikon's placement of the PASM on the left shoulder compared to Sony's placement.

The LCD looks very nice and doesnt seem to suiffer from the massive Sony bezels.

I find the absence of a control wheel on the back rather strange.

• Super Members

If that is legit then the lack of an image lock button is surprising considering it is on every other Nikon FX and many DX cameras too.

And by surprising I mean a bit daft, particularly as it not only lock the image but initiates the wireless/network transfer of it in the background so you dont have to go into a menu and can carry on shooting.

Maybe the lock is on the top off/on lever  like the original 5D (off/on/lock) or maybe the mock-up missed it.. or maybe it’s just absent?

Hadn’t thought of that before but does any mirrorless camera even have a lock switch/mode?

By the way, the 16.9 lcd is an interesting remark and a positive one indeed for video specs!

• Super Members
32 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Those are a bit confusing, says adapter more or less free and lens will have some kind of Fresnel making them work faster than their actual Fstop.

I think they have confused themselves about the type of difference a fresnel element will provide.

I have the Nikon 300 f4 PF which has the fresnel element in it.

It enabled Nikon to make it roughly a third smaller and half the weight of the previous version and it is a hell of a lens.

But its still an f4.

My suspicion is what they actually meant its that it can make an f1.4 lens have the weight/size that you would expect of an f1.8 just as the 300 f4 PF has the sort of weight/size that you would expect of a 300 f5.6 lens.

So, fast primes that are smaller than you'd expect is the headline there rather than slower primes which are faster than you'd expect ;) 

29 minutes ago, Aussie Ash said:

Here is a pic of the new lens adaptor,rumors say it has a motor in it for the older AF lenses

Nikon lens adaptor .jpg

This looks very deep to me - certainly a lot deeper than the mirror in the DSLRs it is emulating.

For our lens experts - does this mean there is glass inside it?  and what implications does that have?

It's certainly not a compact setup then, to use the new body and a small pancake lens!!

4 minutes ago, kye said:

This looks very deep to me - certainly a lot deeper than the mirror in the DSLRs it is emulating.

For our lens experts - does this mean there is glass inside it?  and what implications does that have?

It's certainly not a compact setup then, to use the new body and a small pancake lens!!

It thought the pic was the new lens adaptor but it is the 180-400mm with built in x1.4 Teleconverter

weighs only 3.5kgs  !!! will she take the strain   ????

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, kye said:

Don't be fooled by that picture. 

The lens is the 180-400 so what might appear to be a big clunky adapter at the rear isn't but is an integral part of that particular lens as it has an in built switchable tele converter (hence the 1x graphic) and a slot for drop in ND filters.

Here it is for context on a D5

450_1000.jpg