Nikon FF Mirrorless

Aussie Ash

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Trusting all your stuff to someone else is not my idea of a good idea. What if they go Bankrupt, get hacked from hell. Nah.

I doubt Google will go out of business anytime soon & G Suite for Business offers unlimited storage on Google Drive for $10/€8/£6.60 per month (the alleged 1TB limit for less than five users is not part of the T&Cs & has never been enforced).

It's not only cheaper than buying your own storage but you don't need to worry about power cost, backup, hardware failures & other tedious management stuff.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, nigelbb said:

I doubt Google will go out of business anytime soon & G Suite for Business offers unlimited storage on Google Drive for $10/€8/£6.60 per month (the alleged 1TB limit for less than five users is not part of the T&Cs & has never been enforced).

It's not only cheaper than buying your own storage but you don't need to worry about power cost, backup, hardware failures & other tedious management stuff.

One of the main issues with the cloud storage is that it takes forever to upload anything.  It says 'unlimited' but if you can't upload very fast then it's a very real limit.  My wife has been backing up her photo collection overnight to OneDrive for maybe a year now and I don't think she's done yet.  She doesn't upload every night though because whenever she starts uploading it kills the internet and everyone complains and so she turns it off again, and the app doesn't have a schedule option, so it's just a bad experience overall.

I have dropbox and sugar sync and both take a long time to upload things too.  Cloud storage seems like a good idea, but in reality is has many other issues.

Also, whenever you hear "cloud storage" you should substitute the words "someone else's computer" so that you're interpreting things correctly - it has very different connotations.

41 minutes ago, kye said:

One of the main issues with the cloud storage is that it takes forever to upload anything.  It says 'unlimited' but if you can't upload very fast then it's a very real limit.  My wife has been backing up her photo collection overnight to OneDrive for maybe a year now and I don't think she's done yet.  She doesn't upload every night though because whenever she starts uploading it kills the internet and everyone complains and so she turns it off again, and the app doesn't have a schedule option, so it's just a bad experience overall.

By definition you need decent unlimited Internet to make use of Cloud storage but in civilised countries nowadays it's only the unlucky ones who don't have reasonable network speeds. I am in the UK with the fastest generally available FTTC with 76Mbps/20Mbps. I limit the bandwidth on my uploads so as not to interfere with other Internet use but am still able to upload around 150GB/day or 1TB per week.

38 minutes ago, nigelbb said:

By definition you need decent unlimited Internet to make use of Cloud storage but in civilised countries nowadays it's only the unlucky ones who don't have reasonable network speeds. I am in the UK with the fastest generally available FTTC with 76Mbps/20Mbps. I limit the bandwidth on my uploads so as not to interfere with other Internet use but am still able to upload around 150GB/day or 1TB per week.

I am not sure what "civilised" means, but in southern EU I have 50Mbps/5Mbps, theoritically ofcourse, impossible to reach those numbers except maybe inside the service provider's main building, for 40€ per month (+landline) and I know for certain that in Canada plenty of people still have limited usage rate.

For daily and super fast use physical solutions are still King.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:20 PM, Eric Calabros said:

Sport shooters (especially those in Olympics) deal with massive number of image files.. they're not asking for higher resolution, which means bigger files. 

On 8/14/2018 at 4:40 PM, IronFilm said:

Yeah, even a very casual stills person like myself would rather have a 24 megapixel camera

You're not thinking about EVF and ability to have the option of selecting an APSC 1.5X or even a 2X crop.  The EVF will still show you full width but as a shooter you could select 1.5X or 2X crop. Instantly gaining doubling your focal length. Just imagine the combination of the new 500/5.6 lens with ability of doing 1.5X or 2X crop. It'll make a great relatively small and light combination. 

3 hours ago, nigelbb said:

We have great internet (just tested it then and got 29Mbps / 1.45Mbps), but those companies don't have great upload servers here in Australia.  I just uploaded a file to test it and got this transfer graph (red is upload):

251836676_ScreenShot2018-08-16at10_25_15pm.png.626bcd9112a7ca96d6d67b599dabc396.png

It clearly uploaded it in three bursts.  It was amazing how fast it was actually - when I'm uploading something large the bursts are often 20 or 30s apart, and this is SugarSync, which I am a paying customer of.

The rest are no different - tiny little spikes a very long time apart.

19 hours ago, kye said:

We have great internet (just tested it then and got 29Mbps / 1.45Mbps)

When discussing internet speed it's important to remember that the infrastructure varies greatly between countries. Where i live 40/40Mbits is the slowest option you can choose. 500/500Mbits is the standard if you get the TV package and you can get 1Gbits/1Gbits fairly cheap as well (if not even higher). This has made cloud storage an easy choice for me.

7 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

When discussing internet speed it's important to remember that the infrastructure varies greatly between countries. Where i live 40/40Mbits is the slowest option you can choose. 500/500Mbits is the standard if you get the TV package and you can get 1Gbits/1Gbits fairly cheap as well (if not even higher). This has made cloud storage an easy choice for me.

Where do you live? Central Seoul?!

I doubt more than 1% of the total population of humans fit this description.

Revised time of arrival Spring 2019. (not a rumor)

At the same time, Engadget reports that it could be as soon as this September - however, I see no official confirmation of this.

From an article published in The Phoblographer:

In the interview above with Japanese TV network NHK, Nikon Imaging Japan’s executive officer confirmed that the development for a new mirrorless camera is on the way, and they’re expecting to bring one to market by spring next year.

So I guess we’ll know in a few days!

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Where do you live? Central Seoul?!

I doubt more than 1% of the total population of humans fit this description.

Since this is a thread about Nikon FF, I will try not turning it into me bragging about my internet speed. But I live in a major Scandinavian city. It's 180USD a month for 1/1Gbps, so not exactly cheap, but not an issue if you're running a business in need of it. Of course the availability depends a lot on your local ISP.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Ho Chi Minh City. 34.0Mbps Download/36.9Mbps Upload

Your upload bigger than your dl?! That is crazy fast. You have to pay up to 100-200euros for such a connection (for uploading) here, and the average salary is 650euros per month. I guess Vietnam is more "civilized" than most of Europe!

2 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Since this is a thread about Nikon FF, I will try not turning it into me bragging about my internet speed. But I live in a major Scandinavian city. It's 180USD a month for 1/1Gbps, so not exactly cheap, but not an issue if you're running a business in need of it. Of course the availability depends a lot on your local ISP.

S. Korea, Japan and the Netherlands have the fastest internet connections in the world right now. I guess some big Scandinavian cities must be at the top 5-10. I am sure in the future everything will be cloud based, just is a bit early for that yet.

Sorry for the off topic.

http://www.speedtest.net/global-index

Just beware that 'fastest' is a nationwide average ranking, not defined by the max. capable speed possible in that country. Google Fiber I think would be nice to have. Sub-$100 plan/month for gigabit internet. In Austria the max seems 300/30. My plan's like 2.5x times slower than that, which is like 50 bucks a month incl. tv & phone line. Next year back to the Netherlands. Seems 1 Gbit and even 10 Gbit subscriptions are a thing there. Sub 100 bucks as well.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Your upload bigger than your dl?! That is crazy fast. You have to pay up to 100-200euros for such a connection (for uploading) here, and the average salary is 650euros per month. I guess Vietnam is more "civilized" than most of Europe!

Here in Bangkok my speed in my house is 50/15 for US$12 a month unlimited. My mobile is US$20 a month for 40GB. I could get much faster for a small premium but when I tried it, I found it less reliable.

The worst internet I have found is in France. In Paris, I stayed in a US$300 a night hotel that only had internet in the reception. In the house I was staying in the Dordogne, there was no mobile phone signal and the internet was 50kbps when it worked!!

4 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I think you missed my point - I have internet at a speed that's totally acceptable, but the upload speeds to the cloud servers is only a fraction of my internet speed - therefore it's a problem with the capacity of the cloud storage companies servers.  If you have fast internet and fast cloud upload speeds then that's great and good on you, but it doesn't mean that everyone in the world will experience the same thing.

I guess we will find out soon, but I just don't see how Canon or Nikon can fit in this space and really move the ball down the road. Sony has such a lead on them. There is hardly anything their newer stuff can't do. What FF niche that Sony isn't covering is there? And APSC, I don't see a big enough market for it anymore long term. Sony apparently doesn't either.

Other than DoF we don't Need f0.95 lenses, we can shoot at crazy high ISO's now. And we don't need that thin of DoF in reality and hope to focus right with video. Photos, well you have the time to adjust it on unless you are a action photographer, and I am not too sure that kind of lens would even be in their kit!.

It's like Nikon is going to have to invent a whole new kind of FF Mirrorless camera to make a dent. Heck I guess anything is possible but.. I wish them luck but it is going to be an uphill battle that by the time they are on even ground even Mirrorless cameras may be a thing of the past sales wise. They have to do it, but wow they have their back to the wall.