Nikon FF Mirrorless

Aussie Ash

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Very interesting how there is a Z6 and Z7. But I wonder if there will be a Z8 planned for next year. I'm just going by Nikons current FF nomenclature we have the 600,700 and 800 camera range. 
If the Z6 and Z7 are parallel to D600s and D700s, I'm wondering if Nikon is keeping the Z8 for something they plan, if they're keeping their options open, or maybe Z8 already had too many brand with conflicting names in the market. 

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/13/breaking-nikon-z6-and-z7-full-frame-mirrorless-cameras-and-three-lenses-coming-on-august-23rd-z-noct-nikkor-58mm-f-0-95-lens-to-be-announced-later.aspx/

33 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

The Z7 seems it will be very different to the D700/D750, as it is a high resolution camera, more like the D800/D810/D850

The Z6 will be more like a D750/D610/D600.

I thought about that, of course. But I'm wondering if Nikon is thinking of higher-end model in the future. Maybe a sports version for the 2020 olympics that might get the designation of Z8. Maybe a 45MP sports camera that can shoot like 15-20 fps. That would also might mean the cpu inside might be able to take a 8K video and downsample to 4K or something at 24 fps.

18 minutes ago, salim said:

I thought about that, of course. But I'm wondering if Nikon is thinking of higher-end model in the future. Maybe a sports version for the 2020 olympics that might get the designation of Z8. Maybe a 45MP sports camera that can shoot like 15-20 fps. That would also might mean the cpu inside might be able to take a 8K video and downsample to 4K or something at 24 fps.

Sport shooters (especially those in Olympics) deal with massive number of image files.. they're not asking for higher resolution, which means bigger files. 

20 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

Sport shooters (especially those in Olympics) deal with massive number of image files.. they're not asking for higher resolution, which means bigger files. 

Yeah, even a very casual stills person like myself would rather have a 24 megapixel camera

Ken says that ~6MP is enough, even for billboards!  https://kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

But seriously, he has a point that there's a level that is good enough for most things, and 24MP is probably beyond it.  In a sense this applies to video too, but 4K video is only 12MP and in consumer products is highly compressed in comparison to even JPG images, let alone RAW, so a few extra MP isn't ridiculous.

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah, even a very casual stills person like myself would rather have a 24 megapixel camera

I felt the same way until I started shooting with the a7r2 a few years ago. Now for landscape/cityscape shots, I don't want to go back to 24mp. The extra resolution comes in handy with wildlife shots too since there's always some cropping going on - at least for me. Oddly enough, full res uncompressed raws from the a7r2 are faster to process in Lightroom than any raw option with Fuji's 24mp files.

chris

16 hours ago, Mokara said:

Storage is cheap. Even if you take thousands of shots, high res sensors are not going to be a problem. If a pro can't afford a 256 GB or 512 GB card then frankly they are not a pro, even if they are selling some pictures.

Storage is cheap, but transferring is not, because it takes time, and time is pure gold in Olympics.

• Super Members

Its predominantly jpeg usage in sport because of the buffer depth and clearing and to keep the overall pipeline speed up.

Network transfer off the camera to the edit computer and then onward transmission to agency servers through the internet are a bigger bottleneck than the processing inside the editing app (which will primarily be cropping rather than image manipulation) so raw even off 20-24mp cameras like D5 etc is too slow.

I do sometimes use a D800/D810 alongside my 'real' sports cameras for some jobs and you can feel the workflow slow down even with jpegs.

That will change over time with faster network transmission but for now thats the reality of it if you're shooting for live editorial.

The point about whether someone not buying 256 or 512gb cards is 'frankly not being a pro' is a moot one though as the images aren't actually on the cards long enough to warrant needing that size of storage.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The point about whether someone not buying 256 or 512gb cards is 'frankly not being a pro' is a moot one though as the images aren't actually on the cards long enough to warrant needing that size of storage.

Plus the old "don't put all your eggs in one basket" thing also.

5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Our company adds 8tb hdd every year.. so it can chew a bit in the long run, we are thinking of going cloud storage as our file server is running out of rack to host new hdds 

Trusting all your stuff to someone else is not my idea of a good idea. What if they go Bankrupt, get hacked from hell. Nah.

31 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

Plus adding 8TB every year is and will be cheaper. Electricity bill included. 

Ahh there is no Easy decision no doubt. I guess to be safe a person Needs to do both at the same time. But that is big money.

But heck a 8TB hard Drive is only like 170 bucks. Stuff is crazy cheap anymore. https://express.google.com/product/17697717364890046230_17918466569124146972_6136318?mall=Rockies1&directCheckout=1&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx

Now a SSD 8TB that is a different story!  .https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1345668-REG/glyph_technologies_bbplssd7600_blackbox_plus_7_6tb_bus_powered.html?ap=y&gclid=CjwKCAjwns_bBRBCEiwA7AVGHqzVdEkoHh8meP22Fx2nWxmpt6gLVoIunRB_n11RGfQEo9_yarDvzhoCoQsQAvD_BwE&smp=y

Now this would be they way to go if you have the money.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1399612-REG/g_technology_0g10188_g_speed_shuttle_thunderbolt_3.html