Nikon FF Mirrorless

Aussie Ash

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

For those reasons, I believe Panasonic can no longer remain in the sidelines of the FF battles.

Well obviously someone from Panasonic’s product development team reads this forum and learned that the FF look doesn’t exist.

If only Sony, Nikon, Canon and Pentax had better engineers, they could have come to that conclusion as well and wouldn’t have wasted so much time and money in R&D, production, marketing and distribution.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

This cheap lens discontinued two decades ago, a lens that even Ken put that in Nikon 10 worst lenses list! I put this on D7500, an almost 6k DX sensor, equivalent to 8k FF sensor, and resolution was pretty good. Sure you find many optical shortcomings in these things, but thats not all because they are old! They're designed for film, which has a slight curve, not for perfectly flat digital sensors, so corners are softer that what they looked in 1980. AND they're designed to be compact, suitable for FM2 style cameras. when you prioritize the size, you have to make compromise in optics. 

SSS7538-2-Edit-01.jpeg.e25c41a2fff79ffaab14de855993df0e.jpeg

Here is frame from 4k file with D7500 (which has a heavy crop)

5_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.209ae1ad35cec952a4b58007c2e38c65.jpg

And %100 crop. Remember mini star? ?

IMG_20180811_140224.thumb.jpg.d49e258124758d85fc040216042731b9.jpg

6 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Here is frame from 4k file with D7500 (which has a heavy crop)

5_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.209ae1ad35cec952a4b58007c2e38c65.jpg

And %100 crop. Remember mini star? ?

IMG_20180811_140224.thumb.jpg.d49e258124758d85fc040216042731b9.jpg

That looks nice. I had the ai-s version and I bought it, despite Ken Rockwell’s review, brand new for 60 bucks and let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised. I ended up selling it for a profit but I may get another one. 

Btw, how do you like the D7500? How are you managing with the crop and your F mount options?

23 hours ago, mercer said:

Btw, how do you like the D7500? How are you managing with the crop and your F mount options?

24mm equivalent is the widest I need, so its not such a deal breaker for me.. found a used 17-35 and it shines on DX.

18-35 is also good for people who don't need f/2.8, and the crop hides those messy distortions this lens make on FX. Its cheap, sharp, and underrated. 

Body gets hot quickly while recording, in any resolution/frame rate. So I think its caused by the processor, not the sensor. Hope Nikon use a more efficient one on its upcoming mirrorless. Not that it has made a problem so far, but I get nervous fearing something bad happen in there ?

I also tried 18-55 AF-P. God, Nikon's fly by wire focus ring is best in the world in feeling, and its just a kit lens. Expect amazing experience from their Z mount lenses. 

14 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

24mm equivalent is the widest I need, so its not such a deal breaker for me.. found a used 17-35 and it shines on DX.

18-35 is also good for people who don't need f/2.8, and the crop hides those messy distortions this lens make on FX. Its cheap, sharp, and underestimated. 

Body gets hot quickly while recording, in any resolution/frame rate. So I think its caused by the processor, not the sensor. Hope Nikon use a more efficient one on its upcoming mirrorless. Not that it has made a problem so far, but I get nervous fearing something bad happen in there ?

I also tried 18-55 AF-P. God, Nikon's fly by wire focus ring is best in the world in feeling, and its just a kit lens. Expect amazing experience from their Z mount lenses. 

Was that 1080p? I thought the 4K crop is 2.5x on the D7500?

A few months ago I was in Target waiting for my GF, so I wandered over to the camera section and they had a D3400 on display. I had read they put the Flat Profile in the 3400 so I wanted to check it out. I had the 5500 a couple years ago and loved it... anyway it obviously had the 18-55mm kit lens on the camera and I was blown away by it. The zoom and focus rings felt great and the VR worked surprisingly well. Pair it with the 35mm 1.8 for dialogue scenes and you have a great 2 lens set up for any film.

However, I’m not sold on the Z mount but it is what it is, hopefully they do right by the F mount while expanding the Z lens line up. 

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Was that 1080p? I thought the 4K crop is 2.5x on the D7500?

Yes, to get 24mm in 4k you need something like Tokina 11-16mm. But I don't want to buy another F mount third party lens.. the last one I got was Sigma Art 135mm cause I couldn't resist its insane sharpness. 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, Eric Calabros said:

This cheap lens discontinued two decades ago, a lens that even Ken put that in Nikon 10 worst lenses list! I put this on D7500, an almost 6k DX sensor, equivalent to 8k FF sensor, and resolution was pretty good. Sure you find many optical shortcomings in these things, but thats not all because they are old! They're designed for film, which has a slight curve, not for perfectly flat digital sensors, so corners are softer that what they looked in 1980. AND they're designed to be compact, suitable for FM2 style cameras. when you prioritize the size, you have to make compromise in optics. 

SSS7538-2-Edit-01.jpeg.e25c41a2fff79ffaab14de855993df0e.jpeg

To  be fair, Ken put the manual focus version in his worst ten list though the AF has the same optics (he put the AF a bit better for reasons other than optics).

I had one of those (AF) and used it on a 6mp DSLR and it was ok but nothing special.

So from latest rumor, as I predicted it has a much bigger screen that traditional cameras. It would be at least 4 inch or even bigger which bodes well for video and touch screen use. Since they showed the first video and that it was obvious it had that gigantic mount, I knew they were going completely out of the box.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/12/this-is-how-the-back-of-the-nikon-mirrorless-camera-looks.aspx/#more-124550

Cool - if you are designing a new product (and indeed a product in a new category) then it makes sense to start with a blank sheet of paper and question all the 'normal' decisions.  Good stuff.  I think this bodes well for it not being a 'same same' performer.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

So from latest rumor, as I predicted it has a much bigger screen that traditional cameras. It would be at least 4 inch or even bigger which bodes well for video and touch screen use. Since they showed the first video and that it was obvious it had that gigantic mount, I knew they were going completely out of the box.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/12/this-is-how-the-back-of-the-nikon-mirrorless-camera-looks.aspx/#more-124550

I have been waiting for the step to 4" screens for ages. A slightly bigger body to facilitate 2x better focussing abilities. Not so difficult.

Samsung AMOLED as well please!

A larger and higher resolution LCD would be awesome, why we're stuck in the 3" range - especially with mirrorless makes no sense beyond the fact nobody else is doing it and its a copycat industry. Make the LCD larger and get rid of the buttons to the left of the EVF, instead put a couple custom function buttons on the unused space front of the body. The NX1 had a front button that could be customized. 

Hopefully they get the touchscreen right too. I was on safari with my Sony's and envious of a woman shooting a 5d4 every time she used the pinch zoom on her LCD to quickly check focus.

Chris

3 hours ago, Dean said:

I hate fully articulated screens !!!

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I love them! Perfect for vlog filming, or just in general when setting up a shot

Just like everything I guess - the flexibility of the fully articulating screens makes them less attractive for people that only need a tilting screen not a front-facing one.

My XC10 has a tilting but not front-facing screen (like the Sonys) and if you're always behind the camera it's brilliant.  My 700D has a fully articulated screen and it's a PITA if you want to tilt it because you have to flip it out to the side and then rotate it 180 degrees, making it much slower to tilt and almost impossible during a shot, much more vulnerable to knocks or hand positions, and making the setup far less compact.