Nikon FF Mirrorless

Aussie Ash

The way I see it is that adapters suck, obviously nikon will make an adapter, maybe even with a motor for those nice old af-d lenses, but honestly, holy shit, this new camera looks so damn good, I wouldn't want to use "old crap" on it.

That fat mount is going to make for some really interesting optics, I really hope the shutter is very compact and doesn't has too much housing so they can get very close with the glass and make the best wideangle lenses we have seen until now.

Obviously Sony fan boys have their ass on fire, this camera looks like what most people in the dslr world have been waiting for, the emount looks like a child's penis in comparison.

Canon has to make a difficult choice, they have the "industry standart" EF mount, will they cannibalize it? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

The way I see it is that adapters suck, obviously nikon will make an adapter, maybe even with a motor for those nice old af-d lenses, but honestly, holy shit, this new camera looks so damn good, I wouldn't want to use "old crap" on it.

That fat mount is going to make for some really interesting optics, I really hope the shutter is very compact and doesn't has too much housing. 

Obviously Sony fan boys have their ass on fire, this camera looks like what most people in the dslr world have been waiting for.

Canon have to make a difficult choice, they have the "industry standart" EF mount, will they cannibalize it? 

Who the hell Needs a f0.95 lens that is as big as a house, and weighs as much , and cost as much, when we have cameras that go to a Million ISO on FF! That is just plain stupid, and yeah the AF, even MF ought to work keeping people in focus at that Aperture, yeah right. Nikon is just doing the same dumb crap they have been doing. Living in the past.   Lets make a big, heavy ass Mirrorless camera, with big fat, fast lenses on it. Yeah that ought to work out!

5 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Who the hell Needs a f0.95 lens that is as big as a house, and weighs as much , and cost as much, when we have cameras that go to a Million ISO! That is just plain stupid, and yeah the AF, even MF ought to work keeping people in focus at the Aperture, yeah right.

That's not what a large mount is about.You don't need a big mount to make f0.95 lenses, that's only true for long register distances.

A big mount gives you stable support for larger lens weight, and you can make large optics close to the sensor that fix the problems digital sensors have with very low angle rays.

Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

That's not what a large mount is about.You don't need a big mount to make f0.95 lenses, that's only true for long register distances.

A big mount gives you stable support for larger lens weight, and you can make large optics close to the sensor that fix all the problems digital sensors have with very low angle rays.

Time will tell.

Well I do hope there is more than those 4 screws in the flange for those long lenses I am sure Nikon will want to make, or adapt. That was a problem on the first Sony A7 series bodies. I changed my mount on my A7r, and when the mk II ones came out they improved the mount strength using basically the same aftermarket type..

Just now, webrunner5 said:

Well I do hope there is more than those 4 screws in the flange for those long lenses I am sure Nikon will want to make, or adapt.

The screws in a large mount actually will have to do less work than in a smaller one. 

2 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

The screws in a large mount actually will have to do less work than in a smaller one. 

Yeah but you can't believe how small those screws are. I about had a Heart Attack changing my mount out LoL. They are some tiny ass things.

I’ve no doubt the Nikon will be ergonomically far superior to Sony, but seriously -  when’s the last time anybody inadvertantly changed the mode dial without a lock? Never happened once in my uneventful life!

Additionally, a larger body and lens mount will necessarily mean no longer being able to use the original Crane, a dramatic two pounds lighter than the costlier, over-hyped DJI - which makes a huge difference when you’re carrying around a gimbal all day - and if I were into mountain climbing or hiking, I know which one I’d prefer to bring along.

As far as kit lenses on flagship ILCs go, in the past I’ve found nobody in these forums objects to them, but I am loathe to be coerced into purchasing them with the body, since I’ve got no use for them at all.

Higher bit rates will be welcome, but I struggle to see a difference and would really have to pixel peep to discern an iota of improvement between say, the 200Mbps files of the X-H1 vs. the meager 100Mbps of the X-T2. 

Many Nikon users want a high performance adapter and not for the old MF lenses but for the current range of Nikon lenses (and there are several different types there as well).

Adapters for old MF lenses will be fun to use for many people but they can just be dumb types possibly for a lot less cost.      They MIGHT need a few different adapters just for more recent lenses.     Being able to use whatever lens YOU want is something I like a lot and I am sure I am not on my own there.

Then there are third party adapters like the Sigma one that allows auto focus with manual focus lenses.       

This camera SHOULD be very good and the lenses SHOULD be as well but there will not be many to start and adapters will form a necessary requirement for many and a lot of fun adapting other lenses for others.

I still think I will prefer the ergonomics of the first  E mount FF cameras and certainly will regards the lens release button but that doesn't mean I would not want the camera.

Oh no doubt Nikon fans are going to be happy as hell to use just about any lens you can think of. But how many Nikon fans are there left that are willing to basically start all over?

Surely most people realize by now that any real gains in Video, and hell None in Photography, are going to be by leaps and bounds that you Really need with this new camera now, and down the road. It is more skill now than camera. Hell the original BMPCC is still a killer camera. I see Nikon bringing nothing new to the game. Why shell out the cash for a dead end system, at least on the video side? There is No upward mobility. Just a little dribble here, a little 2 years from now, not worth it for me.

Did someone say ‘video’? ?

Video implementation will be an afterthought. No mention of 4K in the official press release - though of course we’re expecting it if it is to have any chance at all. For sure, Nikon’s got no cinema line to protect, but neither do they have the combined decades of experience of the heavyweights or the expertise of broadcast and cinema divisions to rely on as does Sony. Not only that, but Nikon’s R&D budget is miniscule cf. to Sony’s.

Sony has literally ‘stretched’ the boundaries. ?

8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Video implementation will be an afterthought. No mention of 4K in the official press release - though of course we’re expecting it if it is to have any chance at all. For sure, Nikon’s got no cinema line to protect, but neither do they have the combined decades of experience of the heavyweights or the expertise of broadcast and cinema divisions to rely on as does Sony. 

Yeah and to think they were the first ones to have it in the D90. Boy did they piss away a good head start.

2 hours ago, Nikkor said:

A mockup with the 44x33sensor.

fcc90344524dd992bf10ca7b699e6616b5841c29

Eventually it's going to happen, but I don't think the first version will get it.

tenor.gif?itemid=8904080

No posts about this at SAR, lololol

I understand the new mount is only around 2mm bigger than Sony's.

The Fuji mount is a lot bigger than the new Nikons I think so I doubt very much that will ever happen.

I would love to see it if it did though.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

No mention of 4K in the official press release - though of course we’re expecting it if it is to have any chance at all. ?

Speaking of 4K. This is one funny, interesting video.  It is long but worth it. About a little over a year old.

9 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

I personally don't think Nikon is the sharing type, where they have an opportunity that arise every 50 years to sell many more lens than they usually do with the whole Nikon usserbase migrating to the new lens mount. They are taking a risk alienating a lot of their user base who have multiple thousand dollar of Fmount lens that they have acquired sometimes for decade. It is a risk they are taking and I think they want to be rewarded for that. The thing is that I think one of the reason they have taken so much time is to have a good upgrade path trough a very good adapter for existing lens. They cannot come out with flagship Level camera (rumored pricing) with only 3 usable lens.

Yes, I doubt Nikon will work closely with third party lens makers. 

As Nikon would rather grab most of the pie for themselves!

However working with others I feel would be the less risky strategy, as it would make the entire Nikon mirrorless ecosystem much stronger and more likely to win out as #1 in the long run. 

Just like why Micro Four Thirds is so strong, because they have so many manufacturers backing it, this is arguably it strongest point in its favor. 

And sometimes rarely Nikon has worked closely with others, like at the dawn of digital when they worked with Kodak to make DSLRs. 

But yeah, don't think this will happen now. But I can hope they make it an open mount! Or at least widely share it with approved partners. 

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Sort of worked for Sony on the original A7 series. And they had the adapter for the Alpha lenses, just like Nikon will have for their existing F mount stuff.

That happened in a different era. When a new mirrorless could take baby steps. 

The competition is hot now, Nikon must hit the ground running. 

4 hours ago, noone said:

That is why I think they need more than one adapter or at least one high end one.

I predict this as well to happen within the first year. 

A general mass market affordable adapter which can do 90% of what people want, then a high end adapter which has compatibility with all the many many many weird and wonder variants of lenses that Nikon has made over the decades. 

There might even be a third adapter, which is the cheapest and lightest of them all, which only works with their modern E series lenses. 

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

when’s the last time anybody inadvertantly changed the mode dial without a lock? Never happened once in my uneventful life!

Yes I have A7riiis and I hate the mode lock. What for?

My theory is that there were suggestions for putting a lock on the EV dial (which I rarely use for photos) and they simply put the lock on the wrong dial.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, jonpais said:

Video implementation will be an afterthought. No mention of 4K in the official press release - though of course we’re expecting it if it is to have any chance at all. For sure, Nikon’s got no cinema line to protect, but neither do they have the combined decades of experience of the heavyweights or the expertise of broadcast and cinema divisions to rely on as does Sony. Not only that, but Nikon’s R&D budget is miniscule cf. to Sony’s.

Sony has literally ‘stretched’ the boundaries. ?

To be fair there were NO specs in the press release not even megapixel count.

It was just Nikon saying "we're making a full frame mirrorless camera".

So that's no-way an indication of lack of 4K, which is in all the leaked specs present and correct. Video has not been an afterthought at Nikon since the D750. They woke up. Sony see the demand for 4K enough to do a separate model for us - A7S - which has sold well - and Nikon see the same market demand and same data as Sony do - so they will provide the video specs we need... Maybe not to the extent of a dedicated model, but certainly building on the D850 spec.

There's a lot of speculation that it will be a damp squib vs the mighty Sony benchmark.

Well actually the benchmark for a full frame mirrorless camera is the Leica SL in some respects - best EVF on the market, best ergonomics, largest grip, highest build quality.

Some of that photographic heritage is there at Nikon as well.

And they will bring it to an A7R III-like body, what's not to like about that?

I say give it a chance, because I know a lot of people are deeply indebted to Sony and invested balls deep in Sony gear, so it's hard to get your head around the fact there may be a second choice that wasn't there previously.

If the Nikon ends up outperforming the A7R III, I am sure Jon will switch like he did from GHx to A7x and change his mind entirely about his previous kit.

Just imagine IF... The IBIS is as good as Olympus/Panasonic... The EVF is as big as the Leica SL... The 4K is as good as the D850 but with extra options like HLG and Nikon LOG... And the AF is Dual Pixel... That would mean the Sony A7R III would be beaten and it would leave the A7 III to win on price but not much else.

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, I doubt Nikon will work closely with third party lens makers.

They already are though! Sigma for one.

Given the Sigma lenses for Sony FE-mount are as large as the DSLR mount versions, you may as well use the Nikon F mount adapter and the existing versions on the new camera.

Given the way the autofocus on the latest Sony cameras, it bodes well for the Nikon in video mode.

20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Just imagine IF... The IBIS is as good as Olympus/Panasonic... The EVF is as big as the Leica SL... The 4K is as good as the D850 but with extra options like HLG and Nikon LOG... And the AF is Dual Pixel... That would mean the Sony A7R III would be beaten and it would leave the A7 III to win on price but not much else.

...plus 4k 60p, HD 240p,  internal 12 bit prores raw and a global shutter....