Nikon FF Mirrorless

Aussie Ash

5 hours ago, noone said:

Given the long lead in times in developing new cameras (and I would imagine even longer for a new mount/system), and given that they seem to be aiming at the Sony A7 higher MP pair, I wonder if they were aiming at the A7Rii and A7ii or the iii's?        If the ii's I could see Nikon engineers getting a lot closer than if the iii's or at least it would be a lot easier for them to achieve.

What reasons could they have for such a say nothing announcement?      Stopping some switchers seems most likely to me though I would have thought most would have done already (given Nikon DSLRs are great it isn't for better image quality really with Nikon right now).

I am sure Nikon is going to try and make a Mirrorless D850. Will they try first time around, not sure? If so that would be aiming at the A7r mk III I would think? But I doin't see how Canon or Nikon can make a "Better" Mirrorless than the Sony A7r mk III, A7 mk III on their first try. I think if they make a camera close to a A7 mk II or a A7r mk II they will be going crazy good..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, tupp said:

Of course, all camera  manufacturers would like to sell their own lenses, but there can be no doubt that Sony, Canon, Panasonic and Olympus benefit greatly from all of the other lenses, adapters, focal reducers, etc. that can work with their shallow mounts.

If Nikon puts an even shallower mount on their new camera, they will additionally enjoy the possibility of using even more lenses than Sony, Canon, Panasonic and Olympus.  Like I said, if Nikon is smart, it recognizes such an advantage, and it will offer such a shallower mount.

That is probably why the rumor is it will be a very shallow 16mm

19 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I am sure Nikon is going to try and make a Mirrorless D850. Will they try first time around, not sure? If so that would be aiming at the A7r mk III I would think? But I doin't see how Canon or Nikon can make a "Better" Mirrorless than the Sony A7r mk III, A7 mk III on their first try. I think if they make a camera close to a A7 mk II or a A7r mk II they will be going crazy good..

Ibis is one of the question marks,if they don't include it they aren't even matching Sony on a feature for feature basis.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Clear as mud!

But yeah, I think it will be beefier with the ergonomics that NX1 users liked rather than the awkwardness of the early Sony products

It will be interesting to see how successful this approach will be. Personally, I have my doubts.

Afterall, the problem 'with ergonomics that NX1 users liked' was that there simply wasnt enough NX1 users. The Leica SL - with its even larger than a DSLR approach - has not been a much of a success either. And even the Fuji X-H1 doesnt seem to have caught on with the digital stills crowd.

I tend to think that the 'superior ergonomics' crowd tend to really mean 'its mirrorless but feels like a DSLR'. I guess that is fine to appeal to Nikon core 'existing' customer base but I think it will have less appeal to the faster growing demographics which is women and under 40s.

Still it is probably the right approach for Nikon - it doesnt make a lot of sense for them to 'copycat' Sony and there is clearly demand out there for a mirrorless with a 'more pro body' (and hopefully it will be the end of demands for Sony to make their A7 bodies bigger.)

A mockup from Nikon Rumors. A few things stand out from the teaser that I like - two top dials, the grip that looks to be taller than Sony's (my pinky curls under the grip without the extension) and the grip appears to be a little further from the lens mount so hopefully its not as tight with fatter lenses.

Also that 24-70 in the new teaser image looks quite large, I'm betting it'll be good.

Lastly, Thom Hogan is saying to FX cameras at launch followed by two DX cameras down the road. 

Chris

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 8.07.05 AM.png

56 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

It will be interesting to see how successful this approach will be. Personally, I have my doubts.

Afterall, the problem 'with ergonomics that NX1 users liked' was that there simply wasnt enough NX1 users. The Leica SL - with its even larger than a DSLR approach - has not been a much of a success either. And even the Fuji X-H1 doesnt seem to have caught on with the digital stills crowd.

I tend to think that the 'superior ergonomics' crowd tend to really mean 'its mirrorless but feels like a DSLR'. I guess that is fine to appeal to Nikon core 'existing' customer base but I think it will have less appeal to the faster growing demographics which is women and under 40s.

Still it is probably the right approach for Nikon - it doesnt make a lot of sense for them to 'copycat' Sony and there is clearly demand out there for a mirrorless with a 'more pro body' (and hopefully it will be the end of demands for Sony to make their A7 bodies bigger.)

Considering that these are all mainly photography cameras and photographers like ecosystems and lens choice and stuff, we have to say:

NX1 -> the first really good Samsung NX camera, but lens choice limited. Basically the 16-50, 50-150 and 85mm were the only pro lenses.

Leica SL -> Leica. It's silly expensive for what it is/does. It's just not a mass market product. Barely native lens choices.

Fuji X-H1 -> Exact copy of the X-T2 with IBIS and better ergonomics. Price difference and timing issues therefore... you also get exactly the same picture quality with the smaller models (X-E3, X-T20).

26 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

A mockup from Nikon Rumors. A few things stand out from the teaser that I like - two top dials, the grip that looks to be taller than Sony's (my pinky curls under the grip without the extension) and the grip appears to be a little further from the lens mount so hopefully its not as tight with fatter lenses.

Also that 24-70 in the new teaser image looks quite large, I'm betting it'll be good.

Lastly, Thom Hogan is saying to FX cameras at launch followed by two DX cameras down the road. 

Chris

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 8.07.05 AM.png

For someone my size that is a nice body. But it is, if true to specs, nearly as big as a D850 DSLR. I t may be too big for the mass market. Even the lens looks pretty huge. Hmm.

14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Remember it's just a fake picture.

Very true Maybe LoL. Hmm is that wording possible? I kind of hope Nikon makes a bigger body to be honest. For most men, especially in the USA it is on the cramped side. My RX10 is so small grip to lens wise I can't even use it at all.The aperture ring on the lens is like a Bastard File on my finger! My A7s seems to Just barely fit size wise.

So Clearly Sony didn't think this country was their main market I guess? I am sure it was sized for the Japanese market and it works great for them. I really think with 4K 60p Sony is going to have to come up with a bigger body. Probably Nikon sized to be honest like that picture.

But yeah that is the exact looking battery grip on both. Highly doubtful that is real. ?

yea those mockups were done before the grip side was revealed this AM (notice they're missing the red swoosh).

here it is superimposed with D850:

ecaf2539686f8c08725a9d7809c19b3ab3efccbf

a strong advantage of a big grip, aside from ergonomics should be excellent battery life which is always a concern for mirrorless video shooters..

Yeah but bigger grip, bigger body, bigger battery = bigger weight also. You reach a point you might as well stay with a DSLR. I know that is not the Only advantage of a Mirrorless, but I don't want a 1DX mk II sized mirrorless. I like how I can strip down my A7s with just a small prime on it, and I can stick it in a light jacket pocket. Or a man bag on your side. Ehh, not too popular here in the US! It can be a damn small package.

I use this neck strap below a lot and just tuck it under my arm on the side and it is almost invisible, with this 55mm lens on it. https://www.ebay.com/i/273336114732?chn=ps

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1169303-REG/peak_design_sll_1_slide_camera_sling_strap_lite.html