Nikon FF Mirrorless

Aussie Ash

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This pretty much looks like an NX1, I hope they went a similar route, instead of trying to please the hipsters of this world with minimalistic - but uncomfortable to hold and work - designs.

In anyway it is good that it is here so early. Remember, the rumors were talking for spring next year.

If some of the patented lenses are true, Nikon will make extra sensitive lenses and iso performance their selling point.

Pretty epic teaser! 

Looks like NR was accurate with the scheduled announcement info, big budget marketing campaign etc. Here is the recap:

We are one week away from the rumored new Nikon full-frame mirrorless camera announcement. I have received some new pricing information, this time from Europe (I assume the prices are for a lens kit):

Nikon 45MP full frame mirrorless camera: €4,000 (around $4,670, 20% VAT included in price)

Nikon 24MP full frame mirrorless camera: €2,500 (around $2,900)

One possible (rumored) scenario is that 45MP Nikon mirrorless full-frame camera will be announced first (at the end of July) while the second 24MP Nikon mirrorless full-frame camera could be announced at Photokina. The shipping of at least one of the new Nikon mirrorless full-frame cameras is rumored to start at the end of August or in early September.

The upcoming mirrorless full-frame camera is rumored to be the most expensive Nikon marketing campaign ever with bloggers meetups in exotic locations and maybe even some celebrities involvement.

Here is a recap of the already rumored Nikon mirrorless full-frame camera details:

Two Nikon full-frame mirrorless cameras expected: one with 24-25MP and one with 45MP (48MP is also a possibility) - I reported the two sensors configurations in October last year. BSI sensors (supposed to be a new tech with advanced AF).

Similar body size to the Sony a7 camera but with better ergonomics and a better grip. Nikon is putting a lot of emphasis and effort into the shooting experience of the new mirrorless camera. The camera was designed with ergonomics in mind.

5-axis in-body stabilization

9fps

New mirrorless mount. We already knew that,  but the number I was given this time is 55mm. The Z-mount dimensions I reported a few months ago were 49mm for the actual opening and 65.4mm for the entire mount diameter.

The new mirrorless mount will allow for f/0.95 lenses - remember the NOCT trademark and f/0.9 lens patents?

Memory cards: XQD and CF Express - now this is a surprise for me, but it is what I have heard (ProGrade is coming with a CF Express card).

EVF resolution: 3.6MP (update: I am not sure if this is MP or million dots, the translation could be wrong since the specs originally came from Asia)

Initially, three lenses will be announced: 24-70mm f/4, 35mm and 50mm (I think the 35 and 50mm will be f/1.4). There is also talk about a 24mm, but it may come later.

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/15/one-week-away-from-the-rumored-new-nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-announcement.aspx/#ixzz5M4GIElBq

1 hour ago, Aussie Ash said:

The glowing ring makes the mount look huge but if you look close it is smaller than the glowing ring

I don't mind if the mount is MASSIVE! Always them to put a crop Medium Format sensor into the body in the future?

Light starts as photons and goes through the mount at 23 seconds is focused and hits a prism of some sort at 31 seconds... 

31 - 23 = 8 seconds

With some more maths about what we know of the speed of light.... we can calculate the body size of this new Nikon camera!

1 minute ago, Django said:

Pretty epic teaser! 

Looks like NR was accurate with the scheduled announcement info, big budget marketing campaign etc.

Bang on! NR said 23rd of July

NikonRumors is much better than many of the other rumor sites in my opinion, been a reader of them for many years. 

22 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

31 - 23 = 8 seconds

With some more maths about what we know of the speed of light.... we can calculate the body size of this new Nikon camera!

To save everyone else the math, it takes light 8 seconds to travel 2.3 million kms.

I guess that's written the camera off for me - there's no way I can hand-hold something that size, even if it does have IBIS!

2 hours ago, kye said:

To save everyone else the math, it takes light 8 seconds to travel 2.3 million kms.

I guess that's written the camera off for me - there's no way I can hand-hold something that size, even if it does have IBIS!

You know how bigger cameras give more stability to the image due to their mass than small little shaky point and shoots?

Well bingo!

Bet you won't need IBIS with a camera this big

I'm excited to see what Nikon has to offer.  I've already switched from a 5DIII to an a7III, at least partly because I wanted to divest some DSLR gear before these new Nikon and Canon systems hit.  Imagine...a full featured mirrorless camera with proper weather sealing! ;)

6 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I have to say, I’m more excited about this camera than the BMP4K. Especially if This is the work of a collaborative effort with Samsung. Nikon has no dog in the fight where video is concerned, so this might be the camera that properly addresses that shortcoming. 

I bid 5000 qautloos!

BMP4K is the camera that I want to use.  The a7III (and presumably whatever Canon and Nikon are cooking up) is the camera that makes the most sense for me to carry everyday...true hybrids with tons of useful functionality and a reasonably good image/codec (at least we can hope in the case of CaNikon).

22 minutes ago, salim said:

Haha love how big that mount looks! I think Nikon are desperately trying not to make the same mistake they did with the F-mount size :)

Hoping they are going for a 5x7 ratio rather than the typical narrow 3 x 5. It would still be full frame so all the legacy glass will work but would give a larger image area.

This guy apparently has an opinion about the possible Nikon auto-focus adapter for this camera:

Interesting that the linked patent drawing seems to indicate a mirrorless mount that has a smaller throat diameter than the F-mount.

Smart move on Nikon's part to beat Canon to the mat. They've said the focus was with things like ergos and AF, other than the gargantuan mount it doesn't look any larger than the Gh5.

Looks like they've learned from the Sony junkets too, get max attention from bloggers and youtubers for preorder hype.

The next few months are really going to shake things up, should be interesting.

Chris