50mm

macnerd

whats the difference between the nikkor nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI-S,  AI and AI'D ?. I see people always talk about getting the ais version, its KING

I have the option of getting the

Yashica 50mm F/1.4 ML C/Y Mount Lens

Contax 50mm F/1.7 Planar T* C/Y Mount Lens

50mm F/1.4 canon FD

Nikon Nikkor 50mm F/1.8 Series E AIS Manual Focus Lens

Nikon Nikkor 50mm F/1.8 AIS/Late Manual Focus

Nikon Nikkor 50mm F/1.8 AIS/Early Manual Focus Lens..

WHICH SHOULD I CHOOSE IF THE AI-S IS NOT IN STOCK BY NEXT WEEK?

I film dance projects on a sony a6500 with the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens for Sony

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The difference between Nikkor AI and AI-S lenses seems to be primarily in the action of the rear aperture lever for auto-exposure.  I think AI'd lenses are non-AI lenses that have been converted to AI, merely by changing the aperture ring.

All of the lenses that you list are excellent, but the Nikkors have the longest flange-focal distance.  Consequently, the Nikkors will work on more cameras, adapters and focal reducers.  The speed of a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 could be helpful when shooting darkly lit dance performances, and you'll get an extra stop (and a full-frame look on your a6500) with the addition of a focal reducer.

I have a  non-AI Nikkor 50mm 1.4 and it has a lot of nice character.

Also ai-s lenses tend to have a shorter focus throw than ai versions. So if you shoot handheld without a rig and follow focus, you may prefer the shorter focus throw (I do) but longer focus throws are usually easier to get more accurate focus.

If you choose against the Nikkor ai-s lenses, then your next best bet would be between the Zeiss 50mm or the Canon FD. The Zeiss will be more adaptable if you ever move to other systems but if you choose to expand your set, the Zeiss lenses will be more expensive, but in the end probably a better investment.

With that being said, I prefer the Canon 50mm 1.4 FD over the Zeiss 50mm 1.7. But I may be in the minority with that opinion.

Unfortunately, none of them will match perfectly with the sigma you already own, so the Sigma 30mm 1.4 contemporary may be a better choice for consistency. 

The nikkor 50mm f2 ai is probably the best one, instant cinematic. Pairs pefectly with the nikkor-o 35 f2 PRE-ai. Both have very special bokeh,and smooth rendering.

The zeiss is the best in your list,very good lens, but too contrasty and nervous for my taste. This lens will sort of match with modern lenses.

4 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

The nikkor 50mm f2 ai is probably the best one, instant cinematic. Pairs pefectly with the nikkor-o 35 f2 PRE-ai. Both have very special bokeh,and smooth rendering.

I love the 50mm f2. I have the “K” version and an HC... unfortunately both have really dry focus rings. Is there a major difference between the O and the OC versions of the 35mm?

Honestly, I’m probably going to buy another 35mm 1.4... that lens is as cinematic as it gets, wide open, with its nasty coma and distortion. Love it. 

Just now, mercer said:

I love the 50mm f2. I have the “K” version and an HC... unfortunately both have really dry focus rings. Is there a major difference between the O and the OC versions of the 35mm?

Honestly, I’m probably going to buy another 35mm 1.4... that lens is as cinematic as it gets, wide open with its nasty coma and distortion. Love it. 

I'm not shure, there are different revisions. My nikkor-o version has the 3D pop and the oilpainting bokeh. The only problem is blooming in highlights

28mm f2 and the 35 1.4 are some nikkors I should have, but I stopped putting money into small format.

I just gave away a Nikon 50 1.8 AF non D (different meaning D) made in Japan.       Probably the best of many 50 and near 50s I have had (other than the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8, FD 50 1.2 L and Pentax 50 1.2 K all of which are much dearer).     It can be used just like any other manual focus 50 and has a decently recessed front element.

Honestly though, if just after a 50 1.4 and not one based on a specific lens, I would just go to Ebay and search lens, 50mm 1.4 and go of ending soonest as they are all pretty good and a condition and life of each lens will be a much bigger factor.

I got a pre-AIS Nikon 50mm f1.4 recently but it was poor on one side so went back. Wide open it was quite poor, as you would expect (newer versions will be better because of the coating and whatnot). Amazing at f5.6 though. Then got an old M42 Yashica f1.7 50mm but it is not good at all wide open (OK center but terrible edges).

Just got a Canon 50mm f1.4 FDn today and it is awesome wide open. Never seems to get as good as the Nikon did, but being so good wide open means it gets my vote. But for filmic its nowhere near my Super Takumar 55mm f1.8, so next on my list is to get a 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar. My M42 lenses are all quite poor wide open so have a focal reducer on the way so I can stop them down a bit.