Another victim of the Joke Police - James Gunn

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
8 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Andrew Reid and you probably don’t even know why the brand is called “kidz r evil”. Its a metaphor for how the older generation doesn’t even try to understand the younger generation. They demonize and vilify them instead. Sound familiar ? ?

I must take it at face value I am afraid!!

Kids R Evil!

You think kids are evil. Clearly.

I am OuTRAGEd.

You BETTER delete your past tweets!!

?

there’s depth to me

Is there?

I'm not that surface level of a person you know ? Look deeper ; THIS is artistic expression not jokes about touching kids. You see jokes about touching kids are not only creepy they’re corny and despicable in addition to violating the rule of law. This is what happens when people try to be edgy but end up looking really stupid

Edgy jokes don't violate criminal law. Fact.

try mentioning how artsy & hillarious that guys tweets about kids were at a dinner date. Especially the one about “fcking the little boy next to me” That’ll go over well.

Do you think I am in a Larry David sitcom or something?

I do understand social etiquette.... in real life.

On the internet it doesn't work the same way.

In real life, we don't do things like we do on Twitter.

Twitter isn't a real life dinner date - do you think it is?!

people aren’t virtue signalling here. If a Canon,Fuji,Sony,Nikon,DPreview etc rep was out here with tweets like that they would be gone. No argument about it because we actually have laws in the states that protect kids

You have laws that protect people from jokes?

Name one.

And finally a reminder for late comers to the topic... I am not defending the content of his jokes at all. Easy to confuse, as I said from the beginning. No - I am defending James Gunn, the human being... and the artistic license we have to make jokes, sometimes shit ones, free speech, a huge filmmaking talent, the concept of edgy humour, jokes on twitter, and most of all the ability to grow as a person in the course of 10 years and not to have past errors hung around your neck for all eternity with no ability to move on from the past... Gunn stopped making stupid tasteless jokes a long, long time ago.

Stephen Fry articulates it far better than I ever could...

Go to 10m:00sec

"Self pity is the ugliest emotion"

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The double Republican Standard...do as I say, not as I do....I am not going to defend Gunn's tweets, I think he should have moderated his jokes, but the only reason he was fired and we are having this conversation is because Gunn is a Trump's Critic and Trump fan boys like Cernovich were looking a way to destroy him. But if it is true they are all concern about Pedophilia then why trump supporters, GOP, the so called "christians" conservatives WERE ALL IN FULL SUPPORT OF ROY MOORE FOR THE SENATE RACE...a child molester, a fu..ng ass-h0le who went to malls in order to find little girls....and supporting a LIAR LIKE TRUMP WHO HAS BEEN ACCUSED OF RAPE, there are videos of him saying" grab them by the pussy...", if Gunn was a crazy trump supporter they were cheering for him....HYPOCRITES!!!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

@Andrew Reid you win, I was never that invested in this topic nor your personal life. I hope thats not what I was alluding to when you wrote that long response so no need to defend yourself You don’t need to go looking for anymore youtube videos to prove your point.

SEE... You are the disease. You have to make it personal. The whole topic is about idiots like you, in fact... Who cannot tell the difference between targets of jokes and subject material, or even the difference between reality and fiction, personal life (real life) and defending a film director's right to carry on working despite being an absolutely terrible comedian.

Are you truly thick or something?

50 minutes ago, tigerbengal said:

I think he should have moderated his jokes, but the only reason he was fired and we are having this conversation is because Gunn is a Trump's Critic and Trump fan boys like Cernovich were looking a way to destroy him.

True, true. It happens a lot from Trump's side - liars with abhorrent opinions on how to run a country...  they turn the tables in self defence. Trump will label CNN "fake news" because he knows full well the power of fake news. "Fake news" from rival Fox got him elected! When he lies, all he has to do is accuse the other side of lying. It's like some kind of yin and yang strategy.

Of course I expect Cernovich to have outspoken and controversial opinions as well... guess how he attacks... 360... He'll call out the same behaviour in the opposition and get them into a lot of trouble. This is where we find ourselves with Gunn... And those who think it's unfair get labeled pedophile sympathisers by idiots like KidsRevil, because in the first instance he can't tell the difference between an act, and a real person, then to compound that, in second instance he equates defending James Gunn's character, with endorsing the content of his act.

ROY MOORE

The bar has been lowered so much by people like this, it is why we are having conversations about rape and child molestation in a discussion about a film director.

It's why you can't defend another artist if he's made bad jokes on taboo subjects, which presumably look bad when taken out of context and misunderstood by idiots.

I can't continue to defend Gunn.

I am going to tar myself with the outrage brush and bring all sorts of angry confused accusations onto my shoulders from idiots who can't tell the difference between actual pedophiles and film directors who joke about taboo subjects.

Has Lars Von Trier been interviewed recently? Maybe I should go back to talking about a director who maintains his edge and yet remains relatively unscathed - he's only been labelled a Nazi for his jokes - which is far less worse than being branded a pedophile.

Would love to know KidsRevil's simplistic view of the John Lasseter situation as well!! just for laughs... Let's hear it!

@Andrew Reid see the personal attack was unneccessary cause I guess both me & disney couldn’t separate the art from the artist. I will never stoop as low as you have shown you are willing to go in this thread nor do you personal attacks on myself and others change my opinion about myself or the other posters in the forum. You would think you’re on trial w/ Gunn the way you are acting right now. You don’t have to be a dick to get your point across you know ? Especially since no one called YOU a pedo sympathizer we’re just saying those kind of jokes aren’t worth defending because they are tasteless and offensive. You speak about the bar being lowered but look at your responses *shrug* peace

• Administrators

A comedian walks on stage and tells a joke.

He plays an act, where he is a serial killer with a stammer and silly walk.

Does that make him a murderer?

6 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@Andrew Reid disney couldn’t separate the art from the artist.

According to Disney they actually couldn't.

Walt Disney Studios chairman said: ‘The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible

That's an interesting way to describe an edgy fictional comedy act... as a real life attitude?!

A statement?!

Give me a fucking break.

we’re just saying those kind of jokes aren’t worth defending

Yeah but, Einstein, I'm not defending the jokes. I'm not defending the content. I'm defending the person and the concept of making edgy jokes 10 years ago without them being dug up by a right wing fanatic in order to end a top filmmaking talent's career.

Have you even listened to what he had to say upon being fired?

"My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since – not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.’

I'd argue they didn't even represent who Gunn was 10 years ago, because it's fiction.

An act.

You speak about the bar being lowered but look at your responses *shrug* peace

Yeah, I always have to lower the bar when talking to idiots

*SHRUG*

@Andrew Reid you TRYING to berate me with child like name calling...doesn’t add validity to your statement. Doesn’t make you sound smarter neither its counterproductive to what you’re trying to achieve here by labelling me an “idiot”. Like I said, peace. Don’t stress yourself out I’ve checked out of this conversation.

save that hostility for someone else who doesn’t share your sense of moral equivalency. No one is calling you a pedophile supporter you can calm down now. 

13 minutes ago, Aeon said:

I think kidzrevil should be banned.

disrespectful and doesn't even understand the argument.

Close the door on your way out mate!

I clearly don’t understand what’s going on here & I agree my behavior was out of character. My apologies, I will remove myself from participating in the thread as promised earlier.

• Administrators

kidzrevil, you did not contribute much interesting in over 2000 posts anyway, and it's high time for new blood to have their time in the spotlight instead. I am bored of it.

Some of the innuendo about me in the Gunn thread is grounds for a ban on any forum no matter what.

I still remember from a few days ago the Catsin situation when he posted an extreme nazi video amidst our argument, claiming anti-semantic abuse. I don't accept him playing that card, and his ridiculous linking of the word 'rat' to that video, and I don't accept kidzrevil's nonsense drivel on this topic either. Stop playing the victim card. You're not a real victim. You just lost an argument, that's all.

If you are both gone by tomorrow you know why.

From today's Guardian 'One 4Chan user justified sharing the video created by Harmon – who has been a vocal critic of the US president, Donald Trump – as retribution for the downfall of Roseanne Barr: “If they get to take scalps for someone making racist jokes, we get to take scalps for them making paedophilia joke.

Most of this has nothing to do with PC culture, it is more to do with the internet giving every keyboard warrior access to a loudspeaker.

When I grew up, Morally Outraged from Essex would write a letter to the BBC where it would be politely put in the waste paper bin...

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Wow... a couple of the most helpful and talented members (squig and kidzrevil) banned within a few days of one another for having an opinion... that’s a shame.

"kidzrevil, [an idiot] you did not contribute much interesting in over 2000 posts anyway, and it's high time for new blood to have their time in the spotlight instead. I am bored of it."

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

When I grew up, Morally Outraged from Essex would write a letter to the BBC where it would be politely put in the waste paper bin...

I agree 100%. Wouldn't that be nice to get a piece of feedback and be able to physically drop it in a bin. With the internet you're lucky if you can delete it at all, let alone ignore it. And if I prune the trash from my own website, it's called "censorship"!

The BBC is almost in thrall to Morally Outraged from Essex today with VOX pops, live Tweet-ins, etc. It's just popularism... it seems to be driving the whole democracy. The corporations give people what they ask for (more Star Wars, more infantile comic book heroes), the politicians can't do anything without asking us what we want (more Brexit!) and even state TV can't ignore destructive criticism from Morally Outraged from Essex via Twitter.

I think this thread has run it's dreary, depressing, disappointing course. Will lock it.

• Administrators

Actually will keep it open.

8 hours ago, mercer said:

Wow... a couple of the most helpful and talented members (squig and kidzrevil) banned within a few days of one another for having an opinion... that’s a shame.

If the forum is "getting worse lately", you must surely see it is the user generated part of the site. So if you want it to be more interesting, maybe post something that's more interesting and provocative? Or make something? Or contribute original content not just opinion soup?