Another victim of the Joke Police - James Gunn

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

This wasn’t some type of super villain character he was trying to build. This was his thoughts, his personalty.

Oh and you know this for sure... Ricky Gervais on stage, he's playing an extreme version of himself - a prick - and Gunn was doing the same here - a creepy perv - it's an act.

It's not real.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Oh and you know this for sure... Ricky Gervais on stage, he's playing an extreme version of himself - a prick - and Gunn was doing the same here - a creepy perv - it's an act.

It's not real.

He was “playing” a perv for 3 years ? These tweets ranged from 2009-2012 im sure there was a reason why he stopped playing “the creepy perv”. We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one cause these tweets are clearly indefensible. Either way it was REAL ENOUGH to get him removed from a multi million dollar contract, tell you that much

• Administrators

12 tweets over 3 years?

It's easy to lose talent if you're a politically correct corporation anyway.

Corporations and politicians set such unrealistically perfect moral standards for behaviour, that Clinton can be brought down by emails.

Trump on the other hand has set no such high bar for behaviour so can get away with anything.

Disney can't tolerate the slightest thing from their employees, at any level.

John Lasseter's gone too.

For hugging!

I don’t know, the facts are this... James Gunn made some off color jokes on Twitter 10 years ago. When Disney was forced to deal with the situation today, they chose his jokes and him weren’t right for their brand. Going forward, another production company may be fine with it, that is also their right.

I don’t believe James Gunn is a pedophile. I believe he was trying way too hard to be edgy and now he has to deal with the consequences of his actions.

In the US, our brand of liberty is based upon individual freedoms but also individual responsibility... This is the perfect example of that. 

20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

As for "In a society where everyone has rights the best course of action is to offend as few people as possible."

That is right out of a dystopian novel.

It's not a novel.  It's called reality.  If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.  I have clients from all walks of life.  Some are Trump voters and some are Hillary supporters.  I can't just go around the internet posting Trump supporters are idiots, or Hillary supporters are babies.  No one will organize a boycott of my business or picket my offices.  But I will quietly lose contracts.  99% of businesses know this.  That's why when a business attacks Trump or Hillary or one of their voters they make the news.  Most business owners know they service a diverse population and strive not to piss anyone off.

The customer is always right.

First thing you learn when dealing with the public.  It has nothing to do with PC, Trump, freedom of speech, etc.  If the customer says it is offensive... it is offensive.  That's how free market capitalism works... perhaps you prefer communism?

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, mercer said:

In the US, our brand of liberty is based upon individual freedoms but also individual responsibility... This is the perfect example of that. 

How about collective responsibility?

34 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Corporations and politicians set such unrealistically perfect moral standards for behaviour, that Clinton can be brought down by emails.

Trump on the other hand has set no such high bar for behaviour so can get away with anything.

Again Andrew you don't know anything about our election system.  And these throw away statements are offensive.  That simply is not the way things work in my country.

When a recent Economist/YouGov poll showed that 42 percent of self-identified Republicans still believe that Democratic President Barack Obama was born in Kenya, it wasn't a statistical blip or the result of a sampling error.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/zorn/ct-polling-ignorance-facts-trump-zorn-perspec-0106-md-20170105-column.html

I assure you PC culture is not why elections go a certain way in my country.  What the FACTS are are often irrelevant.  Often times it doesn't matter what you do or what you say.  The voter will vote a particular way for reasons completely beyond your control... like say the color of your skin or what is/isn't hanging between your legs.

• Administrators

I think what this topic is telling me, is that the house of forum is due a spring clean. Damphousse was nearly banned in 2014 for his complete disregard for any form of respect for mods including myself as the site owner, and I let him stay... 4 years later, I think I'm out of any more tolerance. Maybe it is time to invite some new blood to post on the forum and find out who is the driftwood and isn't contributing.

6 hours ago, Damphousse said:

Kind of like how you and Andrew didn't read the sentence that clearly states it is the Trump supporters you guys are beatifying that led the online attack that took down Gunn?

It doesn't matter who led the online attack that took down Gunn. The point is that whatever you do, you gonna have people (Trump, anti-trump, SJW, alt-right, liberals, conservatism, ultra-religious, atheist, etc.) launching personal Vendetta against you. In this case, it may have been Trump supporters but tomorrow it will be someone else.

2 hours ago, Damphousse said:

I never said Trump.  I said "Trump supporters".  There is a difference.  I think there is something clinically wrong with Trump.  I don't think there is something clinically wrong with everyone who voted for him.  You could run an old shoe on the Democratic or Republican ticket and get close to 40% of the votes.  That's just the way it works.  Our elections are about 10-15% of the population at most.

Trump supporters helped to put the guy in the office so there is a relation. However I agree with you, I don't think that all the Trump' voters are dumb. Sure, there are a bunch of KKK guys and rednecks in the mix but many people are just regular folks who were tired of the endless political hypocrisy of Washington and decided to "kick the hornet nest" by supporting Trump or Sanders.
That's the problem, the debate is completely polarized, there is no middle ground and reasonable discussion. Now it's all about extreme positions, taking offense, and online hysteria spread on internet by some keyboard warriors, calling for “murder” and other festivity to whoever falls under the outrage of the day. It seems that the era of Roman games and public stoning is not so far behind us after all. I think that this is a dangerous trend for our society.

I'm out. Cheers

rrrr.jpg

• Administrators

Gervais on the Gunn situation. Right as always.

Also see Humanity, on Netflix.

It will be educational for quite a lot of people!

41 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

rrrr.jpg

Disney and even JK Rowling have no problem with Johnny Depp, who has been accused of worse things than making bad jokes or hugging in an office environment.

None of them proven though, I might add.

Do we really now have to go through our entire social media history dating back years and delete any jokes, for sake of our careers?

Seems yes, we do, it's the new world we live in.

Of course the situation is ridiculous, nobody should be fired for some crass jokes they made a decade ago, but so far as i'm aware it was the radical left who instigated this ridiculous culture of trial by social media and now the right are using their own weapons against them.

As sorry as I feel for Gunn as an individual case, like far too many top-tier Hollywood types he comes across as incredibly opinionated and pompous on social media. Generally speaking these types should probably learn to tone it down a bit with the pontificating to us mere mortals and pushing their half-baked ideological agendas when they have skeletons in their own closets.

Anyone take into consideration that Disney's reasons for firing is simply an ulterior motive, and they just want to get someone else in the director's chair?

I'm not convinced that Disney/Marvel really wants true creatives in the hot seat. 

1 minute ago, mb6079 said:

tone it down a bit with the pontificating

Is there anyone in the USA who has cultural prominence that doesn't do this?

Yeah but Disney has to maintain probably the most Pristine image of it's self of any corporation in America. You rock the boat you are out I don't care who you are. It is in this day and age almost impossible to recover from a dumb ass move you ignore, and try to sweep under the rug.

Is it fair, well the more times you open your pie hole the more fodder you have for the people to go back to and point a finger and say hey this person was a, Fill in the Blank........ and then your Goose is Cooked.

Also, look at it this way, if any one of us decided to post twitter jokes about performing sexual acts on children, the tweets would be flagged and we would probably be investigated... so just because he is a Hollywood writer/director he is supposed to get a free pass and just because Selma Blair wants him to be rehired, then Disney should negate their entire business model?

With that being said, I agree that there is an issue with the PC police and sadly comedy as we know it will eventually die... I mean when was the last time you heard a good polish joke? The entire culture has changed so much since Twitter and Facebook became the soapbox for the masses. 

Now if Gunn had just used the word Republican to describe the 3 year old’s political leanings, nobody in the media would have cared.

Politics is a fools game. It turns people against each other whom otherwise may have been good friends. It reduces people to charactertures. The longer you play the game the more you see it everywhere and the more it affects the way you think. Suddenly, it is in comedy and art and those arenas, once for enjoyment, become hostile and combative.  

People on here who are here to discuss something they love and are passionate about become enemies. It is sad to see.

Blessed are those who are able to ignore it and not let the hate seep into their hearts. I don't follow politics so i don't care what you think. I will not reduce you. I will see you as a person and if we are able to have a conversation about something we love, then perhaps even a friend.

Lets try to focus on what we are all here for. 

5 hours ago, mercer said:

With that being said, I agree that there is an issue with the PC police and sadly comedy as we know it will eventually die... I mean when was the last time you heard a good polish joke? The entire culture has changed so much since Twitter and Facebook became the soapbox for the masses. 

Now if Gunn had just used the word Republican to describe the 3 year old’s political leanings, nobody in the media would have cared.

Is even worse at colleges, it makes me wonder what will the world be like in a decade or two as more of them have moved out of college and into positions of prominence? 

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think what this topic is telling me, is that the house of forum is due a spring clean. Damphousse was nearly banned in 2014 for his complete disregard for any form of respect for mods including myself as the site owner, and I let him stay... 4 years later, I think I'm out of any more tolerance. Maybe it is time to invite some new blood to post on the forum and find out who is the driftwood and isn't contributing.

Did you actaully ban Damphousse from this forum based on this discussion? 

Gunns tweets were completely out of line. Sorry, but 'fucking little boys' is not comedy and talk like that should not be normalised. The number of Paedophilia 'jokes' he makes is also quite alarming.