External power options for the Zoom F8/4 ?

Dan Sherman

In a few days an F4 is going to show up on my door step, and while I won't need an external solution immediately, I know a few months down the road i will. With that in mind I'be been doing research into what my external power options are.  Most small monitors and lights support NP-F batteries, so I'm strongly leaning towards a system that uses them, as that will limit the types of batteries and chargers I need. Not to mention I think it allows for greater flexibility.

Hawk-Woods make several adapters that let you go from NP-F directly to hirose (DV-SQNR for example). IndiPro tools makes some more general solutions that also leverage NP-f batteries.

can anyone recommend anything else that doesn't involve going to a full on v-lock or NP-1 style system? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I got one of these Talentcell power banks:

https://www.amazon.com/Talentcell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-Battery-Portable/dp/B00MF70BPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532111479&sr=8-1&keywords=talentcell+6000+mah

It powers my F4 for several days of shooting on a single charge. It can simultanteously provide power and charge from an AC outlet, which saved me once when I forgot to charge it the night before. I have my battery mounted to the top of the F4 with a custom clamp, but you could probably use a cell phone tripod adapter to hold it on the F4. You could also use gaffe tape if all else fails.

2 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

I got one of these Talentcell power banks:

https://www.amazon.com/Talentcell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-Battery-Portable/dp/B00MF70BPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532111479&sr=8-1&keywords=talentcell+6000+mah

It powers my F4 for several days of shooting on a single charge. It can simultanteously provide power and charge from an AC outlet, which saved me once when I forgot to charge it the night before. I have my battery mounted to the top of the F4 with a custom clamp, but you could probably use a cell phone tripod adapter to hold it on the F4. You could also use gaffe tape if all else fails.

That's a really good option.

I use Sony BP-U60 batteries as I have a battery plate for that with D tap and Hirose on it, along with heaps of BP-U batteries that I already own. 

But there are tonnes and tonnes of other options out there as well. 

NP-1 batteries has been the stock standard way most pros have been doing it for years. 
But in more recent years smart batteries have been rising in popularity (I suspect NP-1 is on the way out?! But still will be seen in use for many more years to come), such as Remote Audio  Hi-Q or Audioroot eSMART batteries. (I'd probably go with one of these if starting over again from scratch)

Personally I also additionally have a NP-F to V mount converter with D tap on it, that I have on stand by as an emergency back up option for use with NP-F batteries should I ever need it (almost did today! When I thought I'd lost my BP-U battery plate during my previous shoot..... :-o Until I found it again, in my mixing bag! lol, I'm such a moron sometimes)

17 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Personally I also additionally have a NP-F to V mount converter with D tap on it, that I have on stand by as an emergency back up option for use with NP-F batteries should I ever need it (almost did today! When I thought I'd lost my BP-U battery plate during my previous shoot..... ? Until I found it again, in my mixing bag! lol, I'm such a moron sometimes)

Can you share the components of your system?

On 7/22/2018 at 6:10 AM, IronFilm said:

Just got back from a shoot and is late, but perhaps I'll do tomorrow a more detailed video for you of both my power supply options?

Sorry i was unable to respond sooner ive been held up in a hospital while my first born came into the world.

Id definetly be interested in that video.

I've had time to do some more research, and I've come to the conclusion that while more expensive, a v-mount system will offer greater flexibility in the long run.

For mounts I'm looking at these.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1100249-REG/lanparte_vbp_02_v_mount_battery_pinch.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839207-REG/Movecam_MOV_306_0209_BATTERY_BRACKET_FOR_V_MOUNT.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1142049-REG/wooden_camera_wc_204700_d_box_v_mount_base_unit.html

The Lanparte unit is the cheapest and comes with most of the cables I would need. The movecam unit seems more versatile, but cables could be hard to find.  The wooden camera unit seems the most flexible, but would be really expensive to get up and running. Right now I'm leaning towards the Movcam unit as all the outputs are regulated except one, and the locking lemo connectors mean one less thing to worry about.

to mount the NP-F batteries  I'll most likely use a cheap adapter like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Battery-V-Mount-Converter-Alternative/dp/B075R8DMKF/

Thoughts or opinions?

How are you using your F4? Are you using it as a sound recordist in a bag?

As if so I'd be very anti towards using V mount batteries (even though it seems the majority of my friends locally are doing that approach?!?! Crazy....). as got to keep that weight down!

This is what I love about how lightweight a small BP-30 battery is, in that it can power my F4 for almost an entire day.

The battery plate I used years ago seems to not be available any longer, but it is very almost identical to this one:

http://www.hawkwoods.co.uk/Prods/Product/HB-C1

2 hours ago, Dan Sherman said:

to mount the NP-F batteries  I'll most likely use a cheap adapter like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Battery-V-Mount-Converter-Alternative/dp/B075R8DMKF/

That is my emergency back up plan (as I own plenty of NP-F batteries a well), which thankfully I've never needed to do (although I've tested it out, and does work as I'd expect).

Although I'm not using the Neewer model, but some other cheap chinese knock off which does have a D tap built in (that the Neewer lacks), thus I can run that D Tap straight to Hirose without needing any of those other V mount products you listed. (they'd be good for a cart build, but not a bag!!)

5 minutes ago, buggz said:

I got the Fotodiox battery solution found on Youtube.

This one mentioned by Saturday Sound Guy?

Cheap USB powerbanks are another good low budget path to take, but I already have plenty of BP-U and NP-F batteries. 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

How are you using your F4? Are you using it as a sound recordist in a bag?

I'll be using it in a custom camera rig like this one I made for my old pre-amp.

5.thumb.jpg.b7145c9829d8afb5191d16b95a782f65.jpg

I was thinking a v-lock sysyem would give me the abillity to not only power the f4 but also the camera and a monitor.

1 hour ago, Dan Sherman said:

I was thinking a v-lock sysyem would give me the abillity to not only power the f4 but also the camera and a monitor.

Fair enough. Although by this in point it is going to be getting VERY bulky for the whole set up! 
You'll be making my Sony PMW-F3 look like a slim and compact set up. 

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Fair enough. Although by this in point it is going to be getting VERY bulky for the whole set up! 
You'll be making my Sony PMW-F3 look like a slim and compact set up. 

This would only be used like a studio rig mounted on a tripod so not much of an issue. In other circumstances various comments would be stripped off.

I came across another possible solution over my lunch break.

SmallRig makes a np-f to 12v mount/adapter for the BMPCC, all you would need is a cheap adapter cable. It has a 1/4-20 mount so you can attach it directly to a cage or rig.

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-dv-battery-plate-adapter-for-bmpcc-bmcc-bmpc-1765.html

https://timeinpixels.com/2016/09/battery-solution-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera/

23 hours ago, IronFilm said:

This one mentioned by Saturday Sound Guy?

Cheap USB powerbanks are another good low budget path to take, but I already have plenty of BP-U and NP-F batteries. 

Yeah, that's the one I got quite a while ago, last year?  Can't remember...

• 11 months later...

After a bit more web surfing, I see that Zoom included the DHC-1 cable with the F4, but not with the F8n.  Fortunately, the DHC-1 is available for purchase.  Curiously, the Zoom web page about the F4 and DHC-1 shows the AD-19 adapter as being used with the DHC-1, making one wonder why not just use the separate DC input and avoid using the DHC-1 cable.  Yes, I can understand how some users like the idea of a connector that can't get accidentally yanked from the device.  But it's beginning to look like the Talentcell solution could be used both via the DC input and via the Hirose input, if the DHC-1 cable is used.

Does the power cable included with the Talentcell have the correct inner and outer diameters on the plug to fit in the F8n DC input and/or the DHC-1?  In the video above about the Fotodiox solution, the point was made about the DC in and DC out connectors having different sizes.

The Talentcell linked above says 12 volts and 6000 mAh.  That's 72 Wh, comparable to laptop batteries that sell for several times the price, and also comparable to some of the NP mount battery solutions that also sell for several times the price (and do not include a charger), which makes me a little suspicious.  Can others vouch for the quality of the Talentcell power banks?