“Always Already” (Alexa Color)

Sage

Always Already

• Emotive Color 'Verde' v2.2
  • No color grading whatsoever
  • All-I 2K (24p 180d)
  • One Lens: Nikkor 35mm f2 Ai (couple shots in ETC mode)
  • Entirely using sunny WB preset (except Tungsten shots at end), no WB correction in post

*For Color Accuracy - Please watch in Microsoft Edge, Explorer, Safari, or Chrome (Mac Edition Only) - *Avoid Firefox! (Or download 'Original' file for total fidelity)

2.thumb.jpg.a9a8a7774dd517fd21efce60e7aea3d1.jpg4.thumb.jpg.9bcb91150317452c1d69861b3474869e.jpg9.thumb.jpg.8495fe0579f978cfb9a86ece45f6fa1c.jpg3.thumb.jpg.d95dcefcd650a97e2e5565b55a83e814.jpg10.thumb.jpg.c556c9919ad192fdb4796e9754c1767c.jpg5.thumb.jpg.c43e6203afc4cebc22feae849acff20b.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, Sage said:

*For Color Accuracy - Please watch in Microsoft Edge, Explorer, Safari, or Chrome (Mac Edition Only) - *Avoid Firefox! (Or download 'Original' file for total fidelity)

What is wrong with Linux/Windows Chrome or Firefox?

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

What is wrong with Linux/Windows Chrome or Firefox?

The color is especially off in Firefox (on W10) -

Edge

edge.thumb.JPG.a7aa033323eba46501cc7d1d89da848f.JPG

Firefox

firefox.thumb.JPG.9470b52afe387e7dfa013f6757e9c932.JPG

Chrome

chrome.thumb.JPG.d369015dd8e41743ab3f5ac5a8cd30f4.JPG

There is a dev option trick for Chrome floating around that can make it better than any of them though.

@Sage, you've definitely turned the GH5 into a different camera with this work, you're a magician, very well done! This update makes the GH5 look like a £15k + camera. 

At first, I was struggling with the Gha LUT as I was getting a lot of red in my images, but from the later version and my increased obsessive approach to better white balance, I've been getting much better results, and I'm now using it pretty much exclusively. Not been using my own LUTS at all. 

I've been making my own personal "quick looks" with extra styling using the LUT, wondered if you've thought of making some for your product? 

3 hours ago, austinchimp said:

Looks great @Sage. I'd love to see a graded version with a bit more weight and contrast. Colour looks spot on apart from that though. Is this the newest version you've released publicly?

Its not out yet, it'll be going out very soon. Its a major release, with subtle but absolutely vital changes to both LogC and EC. Both are now approaching the point of perfection.

You're right on. A cinema grade should best conform many shots (though not all) by taking the black level to below 5 IRE, per page 8 (resulting in greater contrast). For this video, I wanted to do absolutely nothing ;)

The goal being that if you just shoot without WBing (day preset only for day shots, and no post correction), and don't bother to color grade whatsoever, the new EC will deliver a rock solid internal consistency and flawless color. This is as direct & raw a demonstration of Emotive Color as is possible

2 hours ago, deezid said:

Looks great!

Thanks deezid! Present is on the way

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

@Sage, you've definitely turned the GH5 into a different camera with this work, you're a magician, very well done! This update makes the GH5 look like a £15k + camera. 

At first, I was struggling with the Gha LUT as I was getting a lot of red in my images, but from the later version and my increased obsessive approach to better white balance, I've been getting much better results, and I'm now using it pretty much exclusively. Not been using my own LUTS at all. 

I've been making my own personal "quick looks" with extra styling using the LUT, wondered if you've thought of making some for your product?

Thrilled to hear that, Oliver. The updates have been crucial overall, to the point that I think we have finally 'arrived' with Verde

Imagine if I had 'called it a day' at V1 ;)

Looks are a possibility! With Emotive Color, the core focus is to provide a neutral, refined color science base (& maintain simplicity). One day, [ POST ] looks possibly

9 hours ago, Sage said:

Its not out yet, it'll be going out very soon. Its a major release, with subtle but absolutely vital changes to both LogC and EC. Both are now approaching the point of perfection.

You're right on. A cinema grade should best conform many shots (though not all) by taking the black level to below 5 IRE, per page 8 (resulting in greater contrast). For this video, I wanted to do absolutely nothing ;)

The goal being that if you just shoot without WBing (day preset only for day shots, and no post correction), and don't bother to color grade whatsoever, the new EC will deliver a rock solid internal consistency and flawless color. This is as direct & raw a demonstration of Emotive Color as is possible

Thanks deezid! Present is on the way

You should cooperate with Blackmagic or even the Academy to provide a mathematical approach without any lut involved.
Quite happy using ACES right now (no banding and amazing primaries) but missing how your lut acts in shadows and highlights in terms of saturation.
Maybe even a version from ACEScc (or cct) to ARRI REC709 look inside ACEScc would be amazing.

BTW: Interpreting Cinelike D footage as V-Log L insided an ACES workflow using your conversion luts works perfectly fine. ?

14 hours ago, deezid said:

BTW: Interpreting Cinelike D footage as V-Log L insided an ACES workflow using your conversion luts works perfectly fine. ?

Do you use the CineD conversion before the ACES input lut?

I've played around with the idea of making a camera, and going full Jim Jannard XD