The official Canon DSLR raw footage thread

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

raw-footage.jpg

OK let's see what you've got.

You are welcome to post footage in this thread.

I have also made a group at Vimeo which has the rather catchy URL of https://www.vimeo.com/groups/raw

Thank you Vimeo!

You can add any of your Vimeo clips to that group as long as it is shot with the Magic Lantern raw module on a Canon DSLR. If embedded video in this thread please use your original Vimeo URL not the Group one.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can i put in a request for someone to try to get something looking like this on the MKIII? So something with soft natural light and low saturation, with realistic skin tones.

vimeo.com/groups/raw/videos/66667784

The above video was shot on the MKII btw.

Thanks

Music video for the teen group EMKE.  Shot over the weekend, my first time using a RAW workflow.  I was totally unprepared for the amount of post work, but in the end the quality of the picture, both resolution and color, is outstanding!  Thanks again to the Magic Lantern Team for making it all possible!  And thanks Andrew for making the Vimeo group, please add this video to the it.

https://vimeo.com/66681135

Music video for the teen group EMKE.  Shot over the weekend, my first time using a RAW workflow.  I was totally unprepared for the amount of post work, but in the end the quality of the picture, both resolution and color, is outstanding!  Thanks again to the Magic Lantern Team for making it all possible!  And thanks Andrew for making the Vimeo group, please add this video to the it.

https://vimeo.com/66681135

Great video , I have a question buddy !

Me when I shoot in raw mode, my rushes are so dark but when I shoot in livewiew the exposition its ok but after the rushes in photoshop is so dark !

do you have the same thing ? 

Great video , I have a question buddy !

Me when I shoot in raw mode, my rushes are so dark but when I shoot in livewiew the exposition its ok but after the rushes in photoshop is so dark !

do you have the same thing ? 

I think you have to check that your LCD isn't on Auto.  I have mine one click to the right of middle for LCD brightness.  That could be the discrepancy.

I don't use Photoshop, I use After Effects to process all the files.  In order to automate the process I make a preset and just use that.  Makes it way easier to modify all the clips.  I think I shot 65+ clips, processing each one was difficult.  I wish raw2dng had a batch process, the conversion was painful.  In time I think all of this will get easier.  But I tell you what, it's an eye-opener.  I've gotten lazy being able to sync using audio with PluralEyes.  In any sense, it's best to be organized for any shoot.

And sorry, to answer about the yellow color, yes it is way off when you bring it into Photoshop or After Effects.  I believe the Tint slider is +77 on magenta.  You need to bring it down between 0 and +15.  Color temperature isn't recorded either and is usually around 6500+K.  I have to bring it way down depending on the scene.  For example my video was around 4200K.  Saturation is way down, so you have to bring saturation up +10 or more depending on your look.  The video will look soft too, so bringing up Clarity to +10 helps too.  As far as highlights, well you can use the Recover slider.  I suggest you play with the picture.  That is the key to RAW.  You don't get a "set" picture and none of the built-in Picture Styles work - those are only for JPEG and H.264.  RAW you can make any type of picture you want.  I suggest you make your look, then create a Preset in ACR.  That way you can duplicate it for any similar shots.

And sorry, to answer about the yellow color, yes it is way off when you bring it into Photoshop or After Effects.  I believe the Tint slider is +77 on magenta.  You need to bring it down between 0 and +15.  Color temperature isn't recorded either and is usually around 6500+K.  I have to bring it way down depending on the scene.  For example my video was around 4200K.  Saturation is way down, so you have to bring saturation up +10 or more depending on your look.  The video will look soft too, so bringing up Clarity to +10 helps too.  As far as highlights, well you can use the Recover slider.  I suggest you play with the picture.  That is the key to RAW.  You don't get a "set" picture and none of the built-in Picture Styles work - those are only for JPEG and H.264.  RAW you can make any type of picture you want.  I suggest you make your look, then create a Preset in ACR.  That way you can duplicate it for any similar shots.

Hello, ok thank you so much for your answer !!

I try right now :-) thank's again man -:)

• 2 weeks later...

Testing RAWMagic and DaVinci Resolve 9 Lite for the first time.  Shot with the June 3rd Build.  I did get some purple fringing, I get this in Resolve but not in ACR/After Effects.  But this is a test mainly for Resolve.

https://vimeo.com/68189110

https://vimeo.com/68256958

Done on the 60D with 1280x720 which stops at about 350 Frames.

Love the image (except the moire/aliasing issues which are horrific!) and the felxibility in post! But shooting and post is a real PITA...shoot, buffer full, wait for it to unload while constantly wanting to film sth...really anoying.

But still, the image is 1000 times better than the standard h264 one!

First time shooting Anamorphic with my Canon 5DMKIII.  Using the different recording aspect ratios, I made it 4:3 1600x1200.  I then converted the video to 1080P in After Effects.

https://vimeo.com/68611134