Rode VideoMicro Worth It On Canon?

Snowbro

4 hours ago, kye said:

In a way it's like filming in RAW and then saying the camera footage looks "too grey - not even usable!!".

Yes. And the problem is broader than that, just in general people just don't give any time into sound post or bother finding or respecting the skills needed to it 

Too many directors/producers just leave it up to their visual editor to do it, just doing a tweak here or there to the levels if that. 

Or nearly just as bad, they *do* attempt to take sound post "seriously" and find someone different dedicated just to the task of sound post. But many producers/directors seem to think just because someone is an expert musician / DJ / music producer / whatever, then they'd be good at sound post! Nope, they're radically different fields.

On a proper budgeted film they might have a team of just sound dialogue editors and assistants as part of the wider sound post team. (just look at the credits for the size of the sound post teams, often bigger than for the visual edit!! If you exclude CGI etc. Just out of my own curiosity I thought I'd go double check my gut feeling on this by looking at half a dozen of the most recent on IMDB's top 100. And yup, in every case the post sound department is a little bit larger than the editorial department! Of course I'm not counting VFX people here, which is a HUGE number on modern films!! But then again I'm not counting the music department either, which can be a length credit list for some films)

It is like thinking a photographer would be a good cinematographer! lol. Or visa versa. Yes, they have some overlap with their skills, but in the end they're each their own deeply specialized fields and are totally different to each other overall. And you're just taking a pot luck random shot at luck as to if one will be competent at the other (and you're extremely unlikely either will be great at the other's job, but until they get some experience under their belt first).

Unfortunately I've lately been hit over and over again with experiencing crap craptastic sound post, quite demoralizing when I put all this work into crafting the most golden possible sound files I can under the conditions of the shoot. But of course at wrap I then must hand them over, and it is out of my control. Only to much later on see and hear the final product, which leaves me wondering wtf happened??

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yes. And the problem is broader than that, just in general people just don't give any time into sound post or bother finding or respecting the skills needed to it 

Time to get into post sound too?

15 minutes ago, kye said:

It certainly can't hurt! Even learning just the basics is a good skill to have. It will help get the most out of the tools and resources that are available to you, especially if you use something like the TAKSTAR so it sounds nicer. 

It's something I've personally been working on, and have spent the most time learning. 

40 minutes ago, kye said:

I'd rather stick to crew work. And not specialize in post. 

I feel I can never focus when at a PC

(This forum sure doesn't help...)

But Yes, I'm starting to dabble in it now a teeny bit to explore this area too. 

On 7/20/2018 at 5:32 AM, IronFilm said:

Too many directors/producers just leave it up to their visual editor to do it, just doing a tweak here or there to the levels if that. 

Or nearly just as bad, they *do* attempt to take sound post "seriously" and find someone different dedicated just to the task of sound post. But many producers/directors seem to think just because someone is an expert musician / DJ / music producer / whatever, then they'd be good at sound post! Nope, they're radically different fields.

On a proper budgeted film they might have a team of just sound dialogue editors and assistants as part of the wider sound post team. (just look at the credits for the size of the sound post teams, often bigger than for the visual edit!! If you exclude CGI etc. Just out of my own curiosity I thought I'd go double check my gut feeling on this by looking at half a dozen of the most recent on IMDB's top 100. And yup, in every case the post sound department is a little bit larger than the editorial department! Of course I'm not counting VFX people here, which is a HUGE number on modern films!! But then again I'm not counting the music department either, which can be a length credit list for some films)

It is like thinking a photographer would be a good cinematographer! lol. Or visa versa. Yes, they have some overlap with their skills, but in the end they're each their own deeply specialized fields and are totally different to each other overall. And you're just taking a pot luck random shot at luck as to if one will be competent at the other (and you're extremely unlikely either will be great at the other's job, but until they get some experience under their belt first).

Unfortunately I've lately been hit over and over again with experiencing crap craptastic sound post, quite demoralizing when I put all this work into crafting the most golden possible sound files I can under the conditions of the shoot. But of course at wrap I then must hand them over, and it is out of my control. Only to much later on see and hear the final product, which leaves me wondering wtf happened??

I was forced to take an art appreciation class in college, it actually made me understand how important the scores to movies are. The sound design is massively important, I just doubt I will have time to become a master at it. Hopefully I will still have time to make stuff I find interesting once I finish school & get into a career.  

7 hours ago, Snowbro said:

I was forced to take an art appreciation class in college, it actually made me understand how important the scores to movies are. The sound design is massively important, I just doubt I will have time to become a master at it. Hopefully I will still have time to make stuff I find interesting once I finish school & get into a career.  

Absolutely..  sound design is massively important, and we can tell that because Silent Movies are not common, but Blind Movies (aka, music) is a $17B industry!!

But, to be a bit less tongue-in-cheek, it's a hell of a lot harder to make people cry or jump around (dance) with a silent film than with music :)