Rode VideoMicro Worth It On Canon?

Snowbro

Hey guys; so I was telling a little story and used the Rode VideoMicro for the first time on my 1DX the other day. I know Canon doesn't have great preamps, but I didn't realize how bad it can be. I am not great at sound (just use Premiere cc), I tried fix the whooshing sound the best I could, without sounding like a robot haha. Can you tell me if it sounds ok? Or if you think I need to use a better mic..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I only watched on my phone without headphones, but it doesn't sound... Terrible... But it doesn't sound great either, ha ha.

The micro is really great for Sony and Panasonic cameras, but not so much for Canon. You're going to want to get a mic that can add +20 dB so that you can turn your camera audio levels down as far as possible. I've been using my friend's Azden SMX-15 and I really, really like it. 

21 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I only watched on my phone without headphones, but it doesn't sound... Terrible... But it doesn't sound great either, ha ha.

The micro is really great for Sony and Panasonic cameras, but not so much for Canon. You're going to want to get a mic that can add +20 dB so that you can turn your camera audio levels down as far as possible. I've been using my friend's Azden SMX-15 and I really, really like it. 

Yeah, that's what I was kind of thinking. I'll look into that mic, thanks! I was contemplating the videomic pro +. I heard that a few of the new Canon cameras do decent with the videomicro (m50). Hopefully the full frame Canons will follow the trend!

55 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Hahahaha!

"Are you sure you're supposed to have that thing on?" (pointing at microphone)

Love it when the grandma thinks she is more of an expert than you!

Haha I know, she is so funny! 

3 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Hey guys; so I was telling a little story and used the Rode VideoMicro for the first time on my 1DX the other day. I know Canon doesn't have great preamps, but I didn't realize how bad it can be. I am not great at sound (just use Premiere cc), I tried fix the whooshing sound the best I could, without sounding like a robot haha. Can you tell me if it sounds ok? Or if you think I need to use a better mic..

Nice video, especially the funny bits from Grandma!

I did a bunch of research before I ended up with RVMP+ and the TAKSTAR SGC-598 and Pixel MC-50 seemed to get positive reviews, and at $40 or less are HUGELY cheaper than the Rode or the Azden.

However the reason I went with the Rode was that those two mics are quite large and I'm trying to fly under the radar with my setup, so that matters to me.  I'd watch a bunch of reviews to see if there's a reason to pay more than $40...

31 minutes ago, kye said:

I did a bunch of research before I ended up with RVMP+ and the TAKSTAR SGC-598 and Pixel MC-50 seemed to get positive reviews, and at $40 or less are HUGELY cheaper than the Rode or the Azden.

However the reason I went with the Rode was that those two mics are quite large and I'm trying to fly under the radar with my setup, so that matters to me.  I'd watch a bunch of reviews to see if there's a reason to pay more than $40...

Thanks man, she is always funny lol. I see lots of good videos with that mic, seems to work awesome for these cameras. I think I will probably get one, I just don't usually record too much audio, but I think I will need to in the near future. Audio stuff can get really expensive for studio stuff, I keep putting it off haha. 

Am thinking if you export to an OMF (how big is it?) then maaaaybe (no promises! I'm a total n00b at post audio, but willing to take a shot at it) I might do some audio tweaks for you? Clean up a little bit of some spots of dialogue. As I've been thinking AATranslator might be worthwhile for me to spend on.

10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Am thinking if you export to an OMF (how big is it?) then maaaaybe (no promises! I'm a total n00b at post audio, but willing to take a shot at it) I might do some audio tweaks for you? Clean up a little bit of some spots of dialogue. As I've been thinking AATranslator might be worthwhile for me to spend on.

That could be cool man! When I do some commercial stuff that has on location audio, I will get a better mic and hit ya up! Thanks

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Oh I'm just offering specifically because this is non-commercial. 

Ah, np. I will likely have to pay someone to fix my audio when I do commercial haha. Learning all this stuff has honestly taken more time than many of my college courses lol. 

3 hours ago, cantsin said:

The VideoMicro is great and offers bang for the buck like no other video microphone. It even surpasses Røde's more expensive models:

You just need to learn how to properly place it (which is: not on the camera):

While this is true, you're fighting an uphill battle using it with most Canon cameras because of the lousy preamps. Using it for dual audio is an option, but for many, especially those doing personal / non-commercial work, that just adds an unnecessary extra step. 

9 hours ago, kye said:

The TAKSTAR might be a viable option for you @Snowbro, if you're on a budget. There are a lot of videos out there on YouTube showing how decent it is for such a cheap mic. You're not going to get out of this world build quality, but you can get usable sound from it and it has a gain switch so you can lower your preamps. I have one that I use as a 3rd mic/backup and I feel it's well worth the money, though I've become quite the Azden convert :)

8 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

While this is true, you're fighting an uphill battle using it with most Canon cameras because of the lousy preamps. Using it for dual audio is an option, but for many, especially those doing personal / non-commercial work, that just adds an unnecessary extra step. 

The TAKSTAR might be a viable option for you @Snowbro, if you're on a budget. There are a lot of videos out there on YouTube showing how decent it is for such a cheap mic. You're not going to get out of this world build quality, but you can get usable sound from it and it has a gain switch so you can lower your preamps. I have one that I use as a 3rd mic/backup and I feel it's well worth the money, though I've become quite the Azden convert :)

I think I actually had seen that vid, or one similar awhile back. I will give it another look! Thanks

One thing I noticed about YT microphone reviews (from people who don't know much about audio) is that they tend to be judging the EQ of the microphone instead of the quality of the sound overall.  I'd hear a microphone and think it would be fine with a bit of EQ and then the person would say something like "it sounds thin and hollow - not even usable!" and I'd just roll my eyes.

@IronFilm is this something you also see across lots of reviews?

In a way it's like filming in RAW and then saying the camera footage looks "too grey - not even usable!!".

15 minutes ago, kye said:

One thing I noticed about YT microphone reviews (from people who don't know much about audio) is that they tend to be judging the EQ of the microphone instead of the quality of the sound overall.  I'd hear a microphone and think it would be fine with a bit of EQ and then the person would say something like "it sounds thin and hollow - not even usable!" and I'd just roll my eyes.

@IronFilm is this something you also see across lots of reviews?

In a way it's like filming in RAW and then saying the camera footage looks "too grey - not even usable!!".

The best is the people that purposely grade their footage to look like log & post it to YouTube as cinematic footage : ) haha. I see a lot of this now. 

8 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

The best is the people that purposely grade their footage to look like log & post it to YouTube as cinematic footage : ) haha. I see a lot of this now. 

Low contrast looks sure can look gorgeous - one of my favourites is Peaky Blinders on Netflix.  It just looks spectacular!

6 minutes ago, kye said:

Low contrast looks sure can look gorgeous - one of my favourites is Peaky Blinders on Netflix.  It just looks spectacular!

If you have a cinema camera! But not 8 bit Sony 1080p on an A series imo. I really wish Sony would make their 1080p better in their non cinema cameras.