C100 Mark ii in 2018

sqm

On 7/12/2018 at 12:24 PM, Damphousse said:

GH5s is a totally different camera.  Personally I see plenty of situations where I would go with the C100 mk II over a GH5s.  They are both nice cameras but I see each having strengths in different scenario.  C100 mk II's APS-C sensor, DPAF, and native use of EF lenses to name a few make it a natural over the GH5s for certain jobs.  Also what is the low light comparison between the two?

GH5S low light is better than C100 mkii

Honestly, I disagree with you guys. The GH5/5S are video cameras trapped in a stills form factor. Only thing missing is the built in ND. You get XLR and TIMECODE which the C100 doesnt even have. 

If 1080p is all you need, there is a 10bit option (which the C100 doesnt have)

ONLY reason I still shoot on 1DC is because there isn't any full frame stills camera that also gives me AT LEAST 8bit 4:2:2 4k internally. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Django said:

True. I remember this interview i shot on XT2 where this mid-aged corporate geezer was like "when are you done shooting stills and setting up the video camera so we can get started" ?

Can't imagine on a real set with actual talent. There is certainly confidence that only a big boy cam gives you even though you always get the snarky assistant/sound-engineer/tech that'll go "oh you're shooting this with a C ONE hundred" "when did that cam come out again?" "does it shoot RAW/4K?" "we had a RED/ARRI on our last shoot".. but then usually when they see the end result they'll be back with "is this cam still for sale? how much does it run for?" ?

Had someone nosey ( a friend of the guy who is financing the film, who was visiting the set for the day) ask me if we're shooting in 4K, without skipping a beat I replied  "Yes we are shooting from a 4K sensor" ?

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Honestly, I disagree with you guys. The GH5/5S are video cameras trapped in a stills form factor. Only thing missing is the built in ND. You get XLR and TIMECODE which the C100 doesnt even have. 

ONLY reason I still shoot on 1DC is because there isn't any full frame stills camera that also gives me AT LEAST 8bit 4:2:2 4k internally. 

Yeah definitely the Canons only win on personal preference for the look and ergonomics, I won't argue for them based on specs and the lack of timecode is super frustrating. That's one area where I 100% believe they're crippled by design.

@Django

You seem to be the only one here regularly shooting C100/C300 and C200, or with experience with both. I have a lot of experience with C100, C500, C300, not C200....

For something sort of old school, like a Back to the Future look or 80s-90s film look, which camera do you think is better? I'm going Canon on the basis of ergonomics fwiw, I know the GH5S etc. are good options but they're not in the running for me for this project at all for ergonomic reasons, etc.

The C200 looks really noisy to me. The C300 is too but the grain structure is very fine, no banding like with the newer genreration. Has this been a problem or is online footage merely underexposed? I would think the C300 is TERRIBLE based on most online footage, but when metered correctly it's pretty great. Just narrow DR. So I don't trust online footage too much... the Cinema5D C200 review footage is hideous, for instance. Do you find the skin tones worse or better on one or the other? The "look" has changed entirely. Thanks.

5 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Honestly, I disagree with you guys. The GH5/5S are video cameras trapped in a stills form factor. Only thing missing is the built in ND.

You are literally quoting a post that mentions APS-C sensor size, native EF lens support, and DPAF.  GH5/5s is a fine camera.  It has its uses but it is way different from a C100.  Do you ever wonder why so many rental shops and pros have C100s and not anywhere as many GH5/5s?  Why do you think people are willing to pay more to rent the C100 than the GH5s?

People can have their preferences but to say the only difference is lack of ND on the GH5/5s is a heck of an exaggeration.

8 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

ONLY reason I still shoot on 1DC is because there isn't any full frame stills camera that also gives me AT LEAST 8bit 4:2:2 4k internally

Isn't the GH5s on certain aspect ratios using a Speedbooster close to FF?  I know it is not really FF but kind of close. And it does shoot 10bit 4:2:2 4k internally doesn't it?, not 60p I do know that much. Yeah other than DPAF the GH5s is crazy modern compared to the Canon C100 stuff.

Well the OP has already said he doesn’t like the GH5/s so...

And I’d rather have a C100 any day of the week over a GH5/s. Nothing against the camera... I just prefer the C100 image over the GH5/s and timecode isn’t changing that. 

I will also shoose a C100 than a GH5/s any day of the week, the cinematic image is everything to me, I will not even choose a Sony camera, don´t like them ether, but the pocket 4K has the mojo I like, after the M50 I will certainly choose that camera.....

I'm sure some folks would think it's crazy but I recently sold both of my GH4's and lenses and went back to Canon. Bought a couple of C100 Mark II's and couldn't be happier. We also use a couple of 80D's for C and D cams when needed. We shoot C-Log and we now also use an X-rite chart to keep colors and white balance in check. I like 4K and 10 bit - a lot, but I like color science, organic images, ergonomics, built in ND, XLRs, waveforms, etc better. So far, haven't needed an external recorder but will probably grab a couple of Atomos Ninja Flames to help with banding and artifacts (although we have yet to encounter that problem). Looks like a DJI Ronin S is in our future too.

You C100 people All need to go see a Physiologist LoL. My daughter is nearly one. I'll give her a call. And yeah she gave up helping me! ? You are living in the past, even an old turd like me see's the handwriting on the wall.

Now I can see getting rid a a GH4. Never my favorite camera, even me would not buy the GH5, now the GH5s, sure, hell yes over a boat anchor C100.. ?

Regardless, the OP doesn’t want a GH5/s, so why are we still talking about it? 

And I thought you loved the C100 @webrunner5 ?

The fact is this, the C100 series are workhorses that will pay for itself with a few jobs. 

This site is full of Canon naysayers, but when you go to weddings, trade shows, events, etc... the bulk of videographers use Canon cameras. And they use them for a reason. But you go to a forum full of “professionals” and Canon cameras are the worst...

Well I did like The Canon C100 a few years ago. It, along with the Sony PMW F3, Panny AF100 etc., were the Only Cine camera a average Joe Blow could afford well used.

Now you have the GH5s, the P4K, etc. coming that to me the Canon stuff is looking Damn long in the tooth. Sure they Were great, but 4K, even 2k are a powerful tool to have. The Anamorphic alone is a No brainer on the GH5, GH5s. And you are not going to be able to put the original C100 on a Gimbal, not one we can afford. With the GH5 you don't even need a Gimbal a lot of times.

And the reason there is so much Canon stuff is they were the Only ones, gimped as they are, that even thought about Video and Color Science.  And there is an amazing amount of lenses around for them. Nikon shit around and still has with video. Panasonic is the one that has really pushed this stuff hard. And only now has got a decent Color Science. And Sony is well crazy good with it, but has a camera system that you either love the form factor or you hate it.  Sort of like the menus or hate the thing. I like it because the reason it is complicated is there is 100 features in Sony cameras that Canon could only dream about having. Sony could have a menu like BM  if it had 6 options to pick from.

@webrunner5 you’re all over the place lately. You hate the GH5, you love it. The C100 is amazing, it’s an old turd. Which is it? That’s the problem with forums... there are too many choices and new ones are released every day. If you’re the type of shooter that wants the newest gadget, then you should probably sell your a7s and buy a GH5s. Although I like the image out of the GH5s better than the GH5, its lack of IBIS is a deal breaker for me... even if I was interested in one of those cameras. The P4K should be an amazing camera but not one I would choose for event work. I’d definitely go GH5 over a P4K for those types of jobs.

So back to the topic at hand...

I would never use the C100 on a gimbal, so that’s irrelevant as well. I know this is a dirty word around here, but the C100 just has some mojo to it. And since we learned from JB that a lot of network television is still broadcasted at 720p, 4K downscaled in camera to 1080p on the C100 makes it a viable production camera for lots of scenarios. And for the price they are going for now, you’re getting a lot of camera.

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

@webrunner5 you’re all over the place lately. You hate the GH5, you love it. The C100 is amazing, it’s an old turd. Which is it? That’s the problem with forums... there are too many choices and new ones are released every day. If you’re the type of shooter that wants the newest gadget, then you should probably sell your a7s and buy a GH5s. Although I like the image out of the GH5s better than the GH5, its lack of IBIS is a deal breaker for me... even if I was interested in one of those cameras. The P4K should be an amazing camera but not one I would choose for event work. I’d definitely go GH5 over a P4K for those types of jobs.

So back to the topic at hand...

I would never use the C100 on a gimbal, so that’s irrelevant as well. I know this is a dirty word around here, but the C100 just has some mojo to it. And since we learned from JB that a lot of network television is still broadcasted at 720p, 4K downscaled in camera to 1080p on the C100 makes it a viable production camera for lots of scenarios. And for the price they are going for now, you’re getting a lot of camera.

Well I dont like to do events. But im buying a pocket 4k for events. Because it will match my ump, but the ump on a ronin is really hard work. So im buying a ronin s for the pocket for event shooting. I never used ibis or autofocus, so I dont care about them as im not spoiled by this lazyness haha. 

Well play with one before you buy one though. As I owned the c100 and the c300, but never really loved working with them(lcd and bulkyness). Now I hear you saying the ump is way bulkier, thats true. But I can use the lcd screen on the ump. Where on the c series you need an external monitor. + the ump packs a lot more punch where I can forgive the bulkyness. 

Yeah but if you buy one with the DPAF in it, which I think is a no brainer, it is still not cheap. To me if you want a good look go back and re buy the BMPCC. Heck I have seen them for 450 bucks as of late. Now that is a image. And No I said I would not take a GH5, a GH5s yes. But I can't afford a GH5s and a Speedbooster that you sort of need to make it great. I will be doing good to buy the PK4. I have given thought to selling all my Sony stuff, lenses and all.  But I do like the FF look it gives. For what I do I think the P4K might work out well.

The C100 would just draw to damn much attention in this day and age for me. The Panny AF100 I had taught me that. I look like a dirty old man, well I guess I am, so I am tired of people thinking I am shooting their kids, etc.. It is damn hard to shoot video in this day and age as a old man by themselves in a public place. Damn near impossible now for me. I now have a Pony Tail damn near to my ass. So I look like either a Biker, or a Pedophile LoL Take your pick.  Hell both at the same time, how about that! ☹️

12 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Well I dont like to do events. But im buying a pocket 4k for events. Because it will match my ump, but the ump on a ronin is really hard work. So im buying a ronin s for the pocket for event shooting. I never used ibis or autofocus, so I dont care about them as im not spoiled by this lazyness haha. 

Well play with one before you buy one though. As I owned the c100 and the c300, but never really loved working with them(lcd and bulkyness). Now I hear you saying the ump is way bulkier, thats true. But I can use the lcd screen on the ump. Where on the c series you need an external monitor. + the ump packs a lot more punch where I can forgive the bulkyness. 

Well, the P4K makes sense for you since you shoot with UMP as an A-cam. I saw people use the Pocket for events too, so I guess it will work... just not first option for ease of use IMO.

But yeah, I am lazy and as a solo shooter, I’d love to use DPAF. As far as the screen, I’ll make do. I did with the original Pocket, so the C100 couldn’t be worse than that. I may not even get a C100 but for less than $2000, I’d be getting a lot of camera. In all honesty, I’d probably be better off with an 80D for the level of “event” work I am thinking of doing... the quicker the thing is paid off, the quicker I can find short films and put away money toward a C200B... which would be my ultimate camera purchase in the next couple of years. 

14 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but if you buy one with the DPAF in it, which I think is a no brainer, it is still not cheap. To me if you want q good look go back and re buy the BMPCC. Heck I have seen them for 450 bucks as of late. Now that is a image. And No I said I would not take a GH5, a GH5s yes. But I can't afford a GH5s and a Speedbooster that you sort of need to make it great. I will be doing good to buy the PK4. I have given thought to selling all my Sony stuff, lenses and all.  But I do like the FF look it gives. For what I do I think the P4K might work out well. The C100 would just draw to damn much attention in this day and age for me. The Panny AF100 I had taught me that. I look like a dirty old man, well I guess I am, so I am tired of people thinking I am shooting their kids, etc.. It is damn hard to shoot video in this day and age as a old man by themselves in a public place. Damn near impossible now.

Idk, Don... I think a G85 is probably the most sensible choice for you. IBIS, the newer Panasonic color science, mic input, CineLikeD and V. For your type of shooting, what more do you need?

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well, the P4K makes sense for you since you shoot with UMP as an A-cam. I saw people use the Pocket for events too, so I guess it will work... just not first option for ease of use IMO.

But yeah, I am lazy and as a solo shooter, I’d love to use DPAF. As far as the screen, I’ll make do. I did with the original Pocket, so the C100 couldn’t be worse than that. I may not even get a C100 but for less than $2000, I’d be getting a lot of camera. In all honesty, I’d probably be better off with an 80D for the level of “event” work I am thinking of doing... the quicker the thing is paid off, the quicker I can find short films and put away money toward a C200B... which would be my ultimate camera purchase in the next couple of years. 

Haha yeah I understand your dillema, each year I set out a plan for myself I am going to shoot this and end up postboning it because I keep telling myself I need this new lens for that shot and that new toy for this and that. And honestly I should just shoot. The list is never going to stop at any point.

5 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Haha yeah I understand your dillema, each year I set out a plan for myself I am going to shoot this and end up postboning it because I keep telling myself I need this new lens for that shot and that new toy for this and that. And honestly I should just shoot. The list is never going to stop at any point.

No real dilemma for me. I am happy as can be with my 5D3. And I’ll be happy shooting ML Raw for the next 5 years on it and by then maybe they’ll figure out the Mark IV and I can go another 5 years with a Canon DSLR.

The only reason I am contemplating a C100 is to make some cash to fund my short films... these are getting awfully expensive. I could see myself buying or renting a C200 in the future for a very specific project that could benefit from the bump in resolution, but do I need one... not at all... I have plenty of stuff to shoot with what I already own.

Well I guess we will have to see, but this new PK4 if it is what it is cracked up to be will be all I want in a camera. Both features wise, and size wise, weight wise. If it even has push to focus, which I think it does, that will be fine for most of what I need. It won't be perfect but what is.

If I get something and run around on a Gimbal I would draw too much attention to myself. So that would be the same problem I have now. I am telling you every place I go lately if kids are around someone comes up, and at the least mentions if I am taking pictures of them. Well hell yes I am at times. Kids run all around in public places. It i s impossible to not shoot them. I am not a hell of a long ways from just giving it all up, photography also. Same problem. I am a tripod shooter using my 9.7" iPad as a monitor. I stand out, I am a big guy. SO I get people, most of them curious about my gear, and I am a talker, no problem,  but some of these Jack Asses make me just want to quit.  I do have a concealed carry permit and well some guns, but I don't carry them. I might use the damn things as of late LoL. It is a goofy ass world anymore. But I never was old before, so maybe it has been this way for years for old people in Ohio LoL. I sure didn't have this many problems in Florida where there is Tons of dirty old men. ?

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

No real dilemma for me. I am happy as can be with my 5D3. And I’ll be happy shooting ML Raw for the next 5 years on it and by then maybe they’ll figure out the Mark IV and I can go another 5 years with a Canon DSLR.

The only reason I am contemplating a C100 is to make some cash to fund my short films... these are getting awfully expensive. I could see myself buying or renting a C200 in the future for a very specific project that could benefit from the bump in resolution, but do I need one... not at all... I have plenty of stuff to shoot with what I already own.

Dont you miss 1080p 60fps on the 5d iii ml?