C100 Mark ii in 2018

sqm

7 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Dont you miss 1080p 60fps on the 5d iii ml?

Not really. Not a lot of reasons to shoot slow motion in narratives... other than a couple hundred frames here or there. The 720p 48p and 60p really is good enough for that. And if I really need it, I’ll just slow down the 24p in FCPX... 99% of the audience wouldn’t even notice, especially on close ups. Don’t get me wrong it would be nice, but it’s not a deal breaker.

I don’t want to be cinematographer, I just want another outlet for my writing. If anything, I am interested in directing more than cinematography, I just would consider myself a visual director.

I went from being a horrible operator to an acceptable one literally overnight by getting a 5D3... and some of my images, I’m actually proud of. So for me, the 5D3 is as good as it gets with my budget and skill set. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, mercer said:

Not really. Not a lot of reasons to shoot slow motion in narratives... other than a couple hundred frames here or there. The 720p 48p and 60p really is good enough for that. And if I really need it, I’ll just slow down the 24p in FCPX... 99% of the audience wouldn’t even notice, especially on close ups. Don’t get me wrong it would be nice, but it’s not a deal breaker.

I don’t want to be cinematographer, I just want another outlet for my writing. If anything, I am interested in directing more than cinematography, I just would consider myself a visual director.

I went from being a horrible operator to an acceptable one literally overnight by getting a 5D3... and some of my images, I’m actually proud of. So for me, the 5D3 is as good as it gets with my budget and skill set. 

Haha yeah. I started out wanting to be a director. So my first project looked so bad, that qi said to myself ok I need to learn cinematography first. And so I am learning, not quite there yet. But I feel more capable as a director because now at least I could say, I dont like this because this or shoot it more like this against a dop. I might want to learn acting, writing and audio as well soon.

32 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I guess we will have to see, but this new PK4 if it is what it is cracked up to be will be all I want in a camera. Both features wise, and size wise, weight wise. If it even has push to focus, which I think it does, that will be fine for most of what I need. It won't be perfect but what is.

If I get something and run around on a Gimbal I would draw too much attention to myself. So that would be the same problem I have now. I am telling you every place I go lately if kids are around someone comes up, and at the least mentions if I am taking pictures of them. Well hell yes I am at times. Kids run all around in public places. It i s impossible to not shoot them. I am not a hell of a long ways from just giving it all up, photography also. Same problem. I am a tripod shooter using my 9.7" iPad as a monitor. I stand out, I am a big guy. SO I get people, most of them curious about my gear, and I am a talker, no problem,  but some of these Jack Asses make me just want to quit.  I do have a concealed carry permit and well some guns, but I don't carry them. I might use the damn things as of late LoL. It is a goofy ass world anymore.

Who am I to tell anybody how to spend their money, but seriously... the P4K is like the last camera you should buy. To shoot in 4K, you are going to need expensive CFast2 cards. You are going to need about a dozen batteries or an external power supply to last you the day. You'll need a cage. You may need an external monitor. If you're getting a speedbooster, you may need rails and a follow focus. You'll need an IR filter and a good Variable ND or ND filters. If you go native, you'll need a couple fast M43 primes. You're looking at a price point that is closer to 2500 bucks when all is said and done... maybe more. At that price point, you may as well go with the GH5s, you can find them now for around $2000. For the type of casual shooting you do, go for the bells and whistles... even if it costs you about the same... you'll be plenty happier at the end of the day.

5 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Haha yeah. I started out wanting to be a director. So my first project looked so bad, that qi said to myself ok I need to learn cinematography first. And so I am learning, not quite there yet. But I feel more capable as a director because now at least I could say, I dont like this because this or shoot it more like this against a dop. I might want to learn acting, writing and audio as well soon.

That is exactly what happened to me... I just never got much better. LOL. But at my level, I can't afford, nor really want someone else to shoot my stuff. There is something organic about being behind the lens... even as a director, that you just don't get sitting on the sidelines while someone else shoots your material. If an actor misses their mark, or ignores it, I can adjust how I would want it adjusted. The devil is in the details with me. 

43 minutes ago, mercer said:

Who am I to tell anybody how to spend their money, but seriously... the P4K is like the last camera you should buy. To shoot in 4K, you are going to need expensive CFast2 cards. You are going to need about a dozen batteries or an external power supply to last you the day. You'll need a cage. You may need an external monitor. If you're getting a speedbooster, you may need rails and a follow focus. You'll need an IR filter and a good Variable ND or ND filters. If you go native, you'll need a couple fast M43 primes. You're looking at a price point that is closer to 2500 bucks when all is said and done... maybe more. At that price point, you may as well go with the GH5s, you can find them now for around $2000. For the type of casual shooting you do, go for the bells and whistles... even if it costs you about the same... you'll be plenty happier at the end of the day.

That is exactly what happened to me... I just never got much better. LOL. But at my level, I can't afford, nor really want someone else to shoot my stuff. There is something organic about being behind the lens... even as a director, that you just don't get sitting on the sidelines while someone else shoots your material. If an actor misses their mark, or ignores it, I can adjust how I would want it adjusted. The devil is in the details with me. 

Ah I will probably just stay with my Sony stuff, or heck might try the Canon 5D mk III my son has. I don't want to start over to be honest. And your point is well taken about all the cost in reality the PK4 would really cost. I guess I am just bummed out about the harassment crap from parents. It is just not fun anymore. So why even bother.

11 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Ah I will probably just stay with my Sony stuff, or heck might try the Canon 5D mk III my son has. I don't want to start over to be honest. And your point is well taken about all the cost in reality the PK4 would really cost. I guess I am just bummed out about the harassment crap from parents. It is just not fun anymore. So why even bother.

Well, don’t take video at playgrounds with your pants down and you shouldn’t have a problem...?

But seriously, this is why you should buy a camera that has IBIS, a good selection of native lenses and a good color science. Probably the E-M1 Mark II is your best bet. I’ve seen some going for $1500 or less on eBay. Get yourself a good strap and you can practically walk around with the damn thing while glancing down at your camera... nobody will even realize you’re shooting anything. Or obviously for the straight out of camera look you like, the Fuji XH-1 would be a good choice.  

8 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Another thread full of white noise and unrelated information. I hope the OP did find something useful among those.

Another comment full of white noise and unrelated information. I hope people will eventually realize that there is information pertaining to the original post within the so-called “white noise.” Conversations evolve and unless the OP is stupid he will get plenty of information from this evolved discussion, but to make you happy I will end every comment I make in this thread with C100... so...

C100

I mean seriously, if comments didn’t evolve, this thread could have been completed with one simple reply that stated, “Yes, it is still relevant.” End of discussion. 

C100

27 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Another thread full of white noise and unrelated information. I hope the OP did find something useful among those.

This thread was far more on topic than 90% of forum threads.  I wish you luck on your quest for purity on the internet.

This thread was an interesting exercise.  I'm a BMPCC man myself and I am planning on getting a BMPCC 4k once some reviews are out.  But I had to really think about what I would use as a one man band on a paying job with fast turn around.

Honestly I thought the thread went well.

Well I will write one more comment on topic to not Piss off Kisaha.

I really think in this day and age of Mirrorless cameras particularly, the the whole equation of what do I want to shoot has changed. A "C Change" as they say, and I don't mean C for Canon.

I grew up and used cameras on Sticks, ergo Tripod most of my life. Even my ENG work a heck of a lot of it was on Sticks. We even rested the camera on Sticks to be able to grab it when we needed it fast. Photography was pretty much the same for me and others my age. Sure street photography has, and is a goal every person I think has, but Very few do it, as it takes a damn special person with hide as thick as a Rhino, and balls of steel to pull it off. In this day and age I think a lot of that is over with, at least here in the USA. Probably get shot trying it now LoL.

But now with Mirrorless, and even smaller DSLR's we now look at video, photography as a Lot more of a mobile thing rather than static. Run n Gun brought on by Gimbals, whether mechanical, electronic have changed the Landscape, pun intended, and we look at it with a whole new set of eyes.

So do we, the OP want to be tied down on Sticks, Or have the option to be able to Run n Bun, Blend into the crowd, and use a monopod, tripod with what I would argue not a lot better output than he can probably get with a Canon 80D. Surely not better than a 1DC, 5D mk IV, and 1Dx mk II, you get the picture. On a Tripod do you Really Need DPAF that often compared to handheld, or on a Gimbal?? Can me, you, the OP afford a Gimbal that can Really work well with a C100 with the top handle, a external screen, microphone attached, small external recorder like has been suggested, on and on?? Ehh I doubt it. So it is on sticks pretty much.

So the question really is do you want to be chained to a Tripod, or be able to be Stealth, do Run n Gun, carry a Lot less weigh and bulk, probably cost a lot less. Well to me that is the question you need to answer for yourself. Now if you have lots of money, well have both.  I think that is the lay awake at night thinking what do I do thing. ?

7 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I will write one more comment on topic to not Piss off Kisaha.

I really think in this day and age of Mirrorless cameras particularly, the the whole equation of what do I want to shoot has changed. A "C Change" as they say, and I don't mean C for Canon.

I grew up and used cameras on Sticks, ergo Tripod most of my life. Even my ENG work a heck of a lot of it was on Sticks. We even rested the camera on Sticks to be able to grab it when we needed it fast. Photography was pretty much the same for me and others my age. Sure street photography has, and is a goal every person I think has, but Very few do it, as it takes a damn special person with hide as thick as a Rhino, and balls of steel to pull it off. In this day and age I think a lot of that is over with, at least here in the USA. Probably get shot trying it now LoL.

But now with Mirrorless, and even smaller DSLR's we now look at video photography as a Lot more of a mobile thing ranter than static. Run n Gun brought on by Gimbals, whether mechanical, electronic have changed the Landscape, pun intended, and we look at it with a whole new set of eyes.

So do we, the OP want to be tied down on Sticks, Or have the option to be able to Run n Bun, Blend into the crowd, and use a monopod, tripod with what I would argue not a lot better output than he can probably get with a Canon 80D. Surely not better than a 1DC, 5D mk IV, and 1Dx mk II. On a Tripod do you Really Need DPAF that often compared to handheld, or on a Gimbal?? Can me, you, the OP afford a Gimbal that can Really work well with a C100 with the top handle, a external screen, microphone attached, small external recorder like has been suggested, on and on?? Ehh I doubt it. So it is on sticks pretty much.

So the question really is do you want to be chained to a Tripod, or be able to be Stealth, do Run n Gun, carry a Lot less weigh and bulk, probably cost a lot less. Well to me that is the question you need to answer for yourself. Now if you have lots of money, well have both.  I think that is the lay awake at night thinking what do I do thing. ?

Well, that is an interesting argument and very well said... 

But...

I could and would argue, that my interest in the C100 is completely different now that I saw how small it is stripped down. Originally, I would have agreed with you and would have planned on using it on a tripod as you explained.

But now, I would strip the top handle off and use a lens with IS and go handheld...

Or put it on a shoulder rig with the side handle stripped off and a follow focus.

I’ve been following a production company on IG and the main shooter still uses his trusty BMPCC with a small handheld shoulder rig and counterweight. He uses the built in screen and has it rigged right at his eye... so I am sure something similar could be rigged for a C100?

37 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well, that is an interesting argument and very well said... 

But...

I could and would argue, that my interest in the C100 is completely different now that I saw how small it is stripped down. Originally, I would have agreed with you and would have planned on using it on a tripod as you explained.

But now, I would strip the top handle off and use a lens with IS and go handheld...

Or put it on a shoulder rig with the side handle stripped off and a follow focus.

I’ve been following a production company on IG and the main shooter still uses his trusty BMPCC with a small handheld shoulder rig and counterweight. He uses the built in screen and has it rigged right at his eye... so I am sure something similar could be rigged for a C100?

On the mk I you loose the microphone input with the handle off. They Sort of fixed it on the mk II. Your Stuck with 1080p, not the worse thing in the world, So am I on my A7s. But going forward is that the path you want for years to come? Buy a Sony A7 mk III and you don't need any of that silly stuff, and it can fit on your coat pocket with a small prime. This is 2018, not 2014, 4 years ago. We have tons better tools now than then. Why go back to the past, use a big, bulky outdated beast? Crazy stuff.

Would you have bought your Canon mk III if ML was never invented? It is kind of on the lines of that. They were both great at the time, but that time has passed. I am not buying one like I wanted to do, say 6 months ago..

9 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

On the mk I you loose the microphone input with the handle off. They Sort of fixed it on the mk II. Your Stuck with 1080p, not the worse thing in the world, So am I on my A7s. But going forward is that the path you want for years to come? Buy a Sony A7 mk III and you don't need any of that silly stuff, and it can fit on your coat pocket with a small prime. This is 2018, not 2014, 4 years ago. We have tons better tools now than then. Why go back to the past, use a big, bulky outdated beast? Crazy stuff.

Would you have bought your Canon mk III if ML was never invented? It is kind of on the lines of that. They were both great at the time, but that time has passed.

A nice image is a nice image... I don’t care when the camera came out. I really don’t need or want 4K right now... ESPECIALLY FOR SMALL PAID GIGS. The point of these jobs are to get in and out, bring it into the computer with a light correction and an edit. The point would be to make money with the least effort and that’s one of the biggest pluses with the C100. It’s a money maker. Throw a portrait lens on the end, and let the soft Canon color do its job and make me money. The end. 

Here are a few short films I found shot with the C100 that look pretty nice to my eyes... is it an Alexa... no. But for the money, what more do you need? If you cannot make a good image with a C100, you sure as hell won’t be able to with a GH5/s, or with an a7iii or insert whatever camera you want.

There’s also one called “Commute” that I like a lot but for some reason I cannot post it here but it comes up on a google search called “C100 Cinematic Short Film Vimeo” 

But honestly, there are dozens and these are but a few I quickly picked. As a narrative filmmaker, I’d be more than happy with that IQ. Filmmaking is an artistic craft and this camera gets the craft out of the way and lets you concentrate on the artistic element. 

You can spend all the time you want chasing the newest best camera. And when you think you find it, don’t worry, a better camera will be out in a few months...been there, done that.

For me, it’s simple... what camera will make me money so I can fund some short films... if I could also shoot a short film or two on that camera... even better.

Here’s another great looking short...

I am not saying it does not have a great look OOC, It does. It is just too damn big. And you will put a mike on it, a recorder on it, a cheese plate on it, a bigger monitor on it, on and on and it will be big as Hell. Been there done that with my AF100A.  All that stuff you actually need at times. You just stand out too damn much with a camera like that. It is a pain in the ass to set up, you need bigger everything, on and on again.

Now if you want to impress people sure, but in the town I live in that is not a very good option anymore. This is a small College town, and most people in it are highly educated, and can afford a Lawyer LoL.

On 7/12/2018 at 11:17 AM, sqm said:

Hey Guys, 

I got an offer, 2000€ for the C100 Mark ii.

You guys think its still relevant today?

I know the Pocket is right around the corner but damn, there is something about the c series.

Crazy battery life, build in ND+ XLR, ergonomics, AF and just the ease of use.

What do you think ?

Yes.  4k is NOT needed for every job and sometimes you need a workhorse to get the job done camera that can perform multipurpose duty and pull solid image.   Long battery life, NDs, auto focus, wifi browser control, XLRs, SD dual sd cards, and ergonomically a breeze to use.  

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The C100 would just draw to damn much attention in this day and age for me. The Panny AF100 I had taught me that.

You must be the one other person besides me who bought an AF100. It was the first affordable large sensor camcorder. I bought it at launch & had such high hopes of it replacing my GH3 & Canon 5D2s but unfortunately I hated it. I was so grateful when the C300 launched & I was able to replace the AF100. This really was a great large sensor camcorder with lovely image & colours & great ergonomics. The C300 was (& still is) an amazing camera. My circumstances changed & I no longer own the C300 but if I were still in the market for a camcorder it would be a C200 for 4K or a C100 for HD. The difference in ergonomics between the GH5 & Cx00 are night & day.

10 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I´m making my way through it ?

Wednesday I have a client meeting, if it going well it will be kind of instantly paid of. I know spec wise there are many other better options, but like with the 5d iii its joy tu use und I love the pictures coming out of it sooc.

Thanks for all your opinions :)

16 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

And you are not going to be able to put the original C100 on a Gimbal, not one we can afford. With the GH5 you don't even need a Gimbal a lot of times.

Body without accessories is around 200g more then the 5d Mark iii (1125g), the limit is 3,6 kg so you have plenty of room.

7 hours ago, nigelbb said:

You must be the one other person besides me who bought an AF100. It was the first affordable large sensor camcorder. I bought it at launch & had such high hopes of it replacing my GH3 & Canon 5D2s but unfortunately I hated it. I was so grateful when the C300 launched & I was able to replace the AF100. This really was a great large sensor camcorder with lovely image & colours & great ergonomics. The C300 was (& still is) an amazing camera. My circumstances changed & I no longer own the C300 but if I were still in the market for a camcorder it would be a C200 for 4K or a C100 for HD. The difference in ergonomics between the GH5 & Cx00 are night & day.

Yeah the ergonomics of the AF100 or the C100, C300 are great. WAY better than my A7s. They are the best thing since sliced bread on a tripod. And yeah they all have great outputs, they were 6 to 13 thousand dollars cameras at one time. I would hope they were good.

I am just over big cameras, let alone 1080p only ones. My back is shot, people are in my ass, I don't need all that hassle anymore.