Spin camera 360 to follow a kickflip

zerocool22

Hello,

You all have probably seen the gif where a guy spins his camera 360 degrees and follows a kickflip so when playing the video out the camera follows the movement of the deck. Which is a cool in camera trick but would it not be easier and smoother to just do this in post these days shoot +4K resolution. And just spin the image 360 in post? Or would that not result in the same effect?

Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Hello,

You all have probably seen the gif where a guy spins his camera 360 degrees and follows a kickflip so when playing the video out the camera follows the movement of the deck. Which is a cool in camera trick but would it not be easier and smoother to just do this in post these days shoot +4K resolution. And just spin the image 360 in post? Or would that not result in the same effect?

Cheers

I think it was more the idea that he did it handheld in a line that made it cool. Vx looks awesome.

I can't tell if this was done in post or not, definitely done way before the Colin Reed video though.

If you ever done a trick on a skateboard, timing is everything. A single flatground trick lasts less that a second and the duration of the clip.

The degraded IQ (zoomed in?) and Ty Evans' general affliction of all new gear, I would imagine he used a Phantom camera. Spinning that beast with exactly the same speed as the skateboard, triggering the spin at the exact same moment (we are talking miliseconds here), while nailing the manual focus seems highly improbably.

There is the 1% chance it was done this way, just because a professional skateboarder would be able to a few hundred takes with such a basic trick if needed.

1 hour ago, JurijTurnsek said:

If you ever done a trick on a skateboard, timing is everything. A single flatground trick lasts less that a second and the duration of the clip.

The degraded IQ (zoomed in?) and Ty Evans' general affliction of all new gear, I would imagine he used a Phantom camera. Spinning that beast with exactly the same speed as the skateboard, triggering the spin at the exact same moment (we are talking miliseconds here), while nailing the manual focus seems highly improbably.

There is the 1% chance it was done this way, just because a professional skateboarder would be able to a few hundred takes with such a basic trick if needed.

I have seen similar shots in camera with just a handheld move, just spin the camera on your arm. Not as great as the Lakai video offcourse, which is indeed a phantom camera with a bolt probably.

6 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Good call. I’m not sure you’d see a huge difference if they did or didn’t do it that way - the lines are so straight. Like you said, it would take a ton of tries to trigger at the right time. 

The super wide fisheye is what really makes the clip from Colin Reeds video look cool. 

You can also add that 4:3 is much better for this effect, since the rotation is nearly symmetrical and center focused, rather than the slightly awkward 16:9 rotating frame. 

15 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I think it was more the idea that he did it handheld in a line that made it cool. Vx looks awesome.

I can't tell if this was done in post or not, definitely done way before the Colin Reed video though.

Definitely done in post, look at camera movement near the end of the camera flip. This was shot wide and cropped into. 

• 4 years later...