Articles without summarizing video's are annoying!

zerocool22

Hello,

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I have to say this out loud. The last few years the following has become a trend: Review websites are posting articles with youtube links without summarizing the content of the video. And this is annoying the hell out of me. Is it that much to ask to write an article summarizing the content of a video. All the big websites are doing this, nofilmsschool, fstoppers, ...

I cannot watch video's all the time because of various reasons:
1: I cannot use audio (work, school, library, public transport, ...)
2: Video's take forever, I do not have that much free time (they will have an intro, outro, jokes, ...), I rather spend my time on watching an actual film or spend my time with my family then watching several youtube video's, where the content could be summarized in a 5 min read.
3: Reading is more efficient for me at least, as you can reread faster with less distractions
4: Clickbait titles with shitty content.
5: Its making influencers the biggest contentmakers, why should I visit other websites if everything links to youtube videos.

So please if you are writing articles on photography/cinematography summarize the video's. 

I will be very thankfull!

Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Unfortunately the most succinct summary for a lot of them would be "Please click my affiliate link below".

Well in most of the cases they are linking to a youtube video of somebody else. So the one who is posting it on fstoppers/nofilmschool doesnt get payed for the link to the video either as they are the article poster not the content creator. So in that regard I dont think it would result in affiliate links. The youth is already lost to countless hours browsing youtube each night so they will still have a fanbase on youtube. If this trend continues I think nofilmschool, fstoppers, ... will have to close the website down as its just links to youtube. I can go to youtube straight away, I dont need another website to bring me to youtube.  And maybe even pushes authors to create original content.

• Super Members

Sorry, yes, I meant summaries of the YouTube videos by the YouTube creator themselves.

I think there is definitely a place for a site that acts as a curator for quality YouTube videos that aren't tainted by overtly dubious agendas though.

I've no problem with people making money from affiliate links as actually making money creates better content generally but I'd prefer them to be non-product specific.

That way you can have a review that says "actually this product isn't very good but there are others available that are that you can buy through my affiliate here

My rule of thumb is also to disregard any "reviews" that are from manufacturer product launches. The reviewers are all desperate to be first out of the gate with reviews and being invited to these product launches ensures that they will be in that position. So it's not so much a case where once you accept travel, accommodation and food being paid for then you have already been bought (though that's not a difficult case to make) but more that they can't jeapordise being in the first wave for reviews for the next product by not being invited to it.

24 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Sorry, yes, I meant summaries of the YouTube videos by the YouTube creator themselves.

I think there is definitely a place for a site that acts as a curator for quality YouTube videos that aren't tainted by overtly dubious agendas though.

I've no problem with people making money from affiliate links as actually making money creates better content generally but I'd prefer them to be non-product specific.

That way you can have a review that says "actually this product isn't very good but there are others available that are that you can buy through my affiliate here

My rule of thumb is also to disregard any "reviews" that are from manufacturer product launches. The reviewers are all desperate to be first out of the gate with reviews and being invited to these product launches ensures that they will be in that position. So it's not so much a case where once you accept travel, accommodation and food being paid for then you have already been bought (though that's not a difficult case to make) but more that they can't jeapordise being in the first wave for reviews for the next product by not being invited to it.

Yeah me too, and I may not have been clear about this, but I mean every article out there tips, tricks, tutorials not only product reviews. 

41 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

If this trend continues I think nofilmschool, fstoppers, ... will have to close the website down as its just links to youtube. I can go to youtube straight away, I dont need another website to bring me to youtube.  And maybe even pushes authors to create original content.

I already don't visit Filmschool any more and for Fstoppers, I'm subscribed to the channel but if I'm looking for information I just come here, google it or youtube search it and visit the most relevant or the newest. For example, the M50. Appart of Andrew's and Dave's I haven't found any good example of cinematic or unsharpened videos which makes me suspicious and prevents me from trusting Canon on that one, specially regarding 1080 50p.

24 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

You're one of the best examples of why I consider this place that curator.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Ivko Pivko said:

You're one of the best examples of why I consider this place that curator.

Oh I'd be shilling with the best of them if they sent me free stuff and paid for me to go on their junkets ;)

16 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I think I found your real issue. 

haha yeah always interested in good website if you got any. Agreed nofilmschool is 99% bs these days, they keep on fixating on beginner stuff. I always end up forums for more detailed or more expertised solutions. But I do like browsing sites like fstoppers, no film school and such because now and then you do pick something up. 

As much as I like video it is overused.

I much prefer to read a lot of things vs watching a video.  As people have said sometimes you don't have the time or you need to be quiet or silent.

It is also easier to understand complex topics if you can read an in depth article.  You can reread sentences if you don't get it on a first pass.  Also it is easier to find something in an article if you have to look it up at a later date.

Certain tutorials are better in video and I do enjoy watching well done video reviews.  But I always supplement video reviews with plenty of articles.

This topic is interesting.  I was astonished when I found out Donald Trump doesn't read.  The guy just watches TV!  I just can't believe how little intellectual curiosity that guy has.  I like shooting video.  I like taking pictures.  I like watching movies and looking at photographs.  But I simply could not exist if I didn't spend hours reading every day.  I see many people feel the same way I do.  Reading is just such an efficient way to acquire knowledge.

As a Fstoppers staff writer, I can give the reason behind this policy: it would be unfair for the video creator to summarize the video. Basically we would steal his/her work and content without benefits for him/her.
This type of article is called a "repost." If the video is interesting, we make a short introduction and the reader is free to watch the video. Otherwise, people would simply read the summary and skip the video while the website pockets the ads money and there is nothing left for the video creator (views and/or ads money).

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

6. Not everyone has unlimited mobile data to view videos, but they've got enough to read text. 

Yep, this is a sort of pet hate of mine. Edelkrone, for instance, only offer product manuals in video form not in text. And I can pretty much bet when I have a problem it is always somewhere with very limited internet.

This is the global trend, whether you like it or not

If you dont like it, just unsub from the website and go for the text based ones

There are also some amazing youtubers or reviewers out there like Max Yurvey / Christopher Frost , unfortunately Max no longer makes a lot of videos because youtube screwing him.

Just pick the things that work for you, we should be happy we got free information (+minor ads) from the internet.