A good zoomlens with longer reach than the Sigma 18-35

Stab

I am shooting weddings with the GH5-s and I have been using the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 since the day it was released. The lens is amazing, but I am yarning for a little more reach on the tele-end. Simply speaking, i am starting to find it too wide for my likings. 

Now, swapping lenses on a wedding is a biatch and I would really like to have a zoom lens that is as wide as the sigma, but also longer. I could live with a small decrease in performance (the Sigma is pretty damn good) and of course I could sacrifice the f1.8 but I don't want to go much lower. Is there any lens that you have used that fits the bill?

Well there is the Fujinon 18-80 f2 but it is a bit on heavy and pricey side ?

Anything else? How about the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4? Or Nikon 16-80 f2.8-f4? Any experience with that?

If anyone knows about a good lens that I might not know off, please share :)
By the way, I use a Nikon to MFT Speedbooster and all manual settings, so Autofocus or IS is not what I am after.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

The Nikon 16-80 is one of their newer E type electronic aperture control lenses so you won't be able to control the aperture with the speedbooster or any other adapter that uses mechanical linkage to operate the diaphragm blades.

Its OK if you want to shoot wide open I suppose but unfortunately with it not being a constant aperture its even more problematic.

57 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The Nikon 16-80 is one of their newer E type electronic aperture control lenses so you won't be able to control the aperture with the speedbooster or any other adapter that uses mechanical linkage to operate the diaphragm blades.

Its OK if you want to shoot wide open I suppose but unfortunately with it not being a constant aperture its even more problematic.

Oh right, thanks for that info. That is a dealbreaker unfortunately.

• Super Members

If you want to be similar on the wide end to the Sigma but with some more reach (though not as much as a 70mm) then Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 might be worth a look for you.

It is constant aperture so you won't be losing as much on the longer end as the other options and it is a very fine lens indeed.

Used examples are generally around £400 so it won't break the bank either.

Yea thanks BTM_Pix, just saw that one. I read someone saying that it probably won't work with the Speedbooster (XL), as it just barely covers the DX sensor (1.5x crop).

If anyone can tell me how that lens worked for them with a Speed Booster that would be awesome.

Alternatively, you could use a B4 mount broadcast zoom lens and adapt it to your camera. They usually only cover 2/3", but many come with a 2x extender that will make it cover MFT. Most of these lenses have a f1.7 constant aperture which drops to f3.4 with the extender activated.

Upsides: You'll have a parfocal zoom, often with enormous zoom ranges such as 8-120mm (16-240mm with 2x extender), and you can easily find them second-hand for not more than $200. (Calculate another $150 for a good adapter, for example from https://c7adapters.com.)

Downsides: Most of these lenses are specificied for SD and will not render fine detail.

(Just shot something with a Fujinon 8-120mm B4 lens on the BM Pocket and will share the footage when the edit will be done._

• Super Members
1 hour ago, cantsin said:

Alternatively, you could use a B4 mount broadcast zoom lens and adapt it to your camera. They usually only cover 2/3", but many come with a 2x extender that will make it cover MFT. Most of these lenses have a f1.7 constant aperture which drops to f3.4 with the extender activated.

Upsides: You'll have a parfocal zoom, often with enormous zoom ranges such as 8-120mm (16-240mm with 2x extender), and you can easily find them second-hand for not more than $200. (Calculate another $150 for a good adapter, for example from https://c7adapters.com.)

Downsides: Most of these lenses are specificied for SD and will not render fine detail.

(Just shot something with a Fujinon 8-120mm B4 lens on the BM Pocket and will share the footage when the edit will be done._

And not much more for the adapter cable and NP battery mount to make the zoom powered.

I think all of us who've put a B4 lens on an MFT camera have to tip the hat and acknowledge that we never went for it to quite the same extent as this guy 

https://youtu.be/E-baLc-POBM

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think my sums are right so this is what it would look like on an XL, so, yes, it would run out of road in the corners.

064.jpg.b0bfa8628e940d8109911b0e5eb15126.jpg

Verus a 0.7 Speedbooster which would be OK.

0p70.jpg.e99ab0998b95e0571b253f9986450dd9.jpg

Which, admittedly, isn't much of a help if you've got the XL ;) 

Thanks mister! Very helpful.

Which crop factor of the GH5-S did u use to begin with? I think the GH5-S has a slightly bigger sensor than the GH5 in 16:9 mode.

• Super Members

I used 2x because I never read the initial post carefully enough and thought it was the regular GH5 ?

I think it's 1.85 on the GH5S ?

Those are all 3:2 aspect ratio as they're from stills cameras so take that crop into account as well.

I'm not near a computer to do it but if you use those original source files from each post you can do it from scratch to confirm.

I suppose the story is that it will give you less margin than the 18-35 and if that is already vignetting any on your XL then you'll have a problem.

58ccc0b1c238c_IMG_10351.thumb.JPG.8b4c1f124cebcc32347839ef40211a01.JPG

Here is the first time I ever tried one, a Fujinon 19X f 1.7 with the 2x  extender on my Panasonic AF100A.  Picture of rig above. Had a 50 dollar B4 to m4/3 adapter on it. They can be incredible sharpness wise. I paid 150 bucks for it because the zoom motor was burned out from Adorama. Pretty common on them. There is a switch where you can disable the power zoom so works by hand easy. If you can find one like the picture below that says AT2 that is a newer version of the lens. It is HD. I had no problem even in 4K on my G7 with that lens.

This is Fuji description of AT2 lens. So as you can see they are pretty damn good even for HD and better.

"AT2 Aspheric Technology Many of Fujinon's HDTV and broadcast lenses feature Fujinon's AT2, which combines the company's exclusive Aspheric Technology with a new inner focusing system to greatly improve lens performance over conventional designs."

I can also say the Panasonic AF100 is a hell of a great camera for as low as 600 dollars. Amazing output using a native m4/3 mount, decent AFS AF also. Tons of knobs, buttons. A true Cine Camera for peanuts. Great learning tool.

IMG_0584.JPG

29 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

The really nice thing about the AF100 is that it outputs 10 bit 4:2:2 via HDMI. Hook it up to one of the HD Atomos recorders that you can get for little money used these days and you can get great quality footage that you can work with in post. 

Out of likes. Yeah it is one heck of a camera for the money.

Too add though to the AF100. I think you have to have the AF100A model to get the 10 bit 4:2:2. That is the one I had.

Quote from Personal View..

"The original AF100 had 10-bit 4:2:2 SDI/HDMI outputs as well. The downside, however, was that the bottom two bits were blanked out, restricting the AF100 to 8-bit resolution.

According to Jan's explanation, Panasonic has added dithering to those two blanked-out bits. This superimposes an interpolated 2-bit gradient on the camera's 8-bit output, which can make transitions between color bands look smoother. This may produce comparable results as 10-bit transcoders such as 5DtoRGB, which use similar digital signal processing techniques to enhance the conversion of 8-bit data into a 10-bit transcoded format.

The good news is that the original AF100 is far from obsolete. The sad news is that the AF100A will not have the true 10-bit output we were hoping for."