Greetings from Mediterranean... or please share vacation clips

anonim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sorry that you had such overcast weather & not the vivid blue skies that are more normal for the region. Nice night shots but to stop this forum turning into a Travel forum it would be more useful if you gave us the technical background e.g. camera, lens, exposure etc etc

BTW Strictly Montenegro is on the Adriatic Sea not the Mediterranean Sea.

@nigelbb

Thanks... I'm personally little bit tired of endless discussion of the same technical tips - so I thought it would be more interesting to see them in some unpretentious, uncontrolled actions with artistic touch, at least in the season of vacation... Actually, it was interesting weather for me, being able to filming during all day with diffuse light and without ugly harsh shadows - while I was not occupied wiht long swimming :) ... As I wrote in youtube comment, it was GH5 with Voigts 17.5 and 42.5, maybe just to add that all was in HLG with ISO 400, just in the night shots ISO800... Of course, all handheld, even just at 24p with Atomos recorder (it happened to be that I had no enough space for 60p). Actually, I had also and Contax Zeiss S 60mm with me, but there's no need/time for its usage... besides, that Voigts have plenty enough macro capabilities and power to "see in the dark"... What maybe suprised me the most is - how low is color fringing even at f0.95 (maybe I'm lucky with lens samples).

@jonpais

Thanks, I appreciate your comment. It is really great and encouraging if night shots look clean even at your big monitor/resolution!

And yes - for these shots I played (and will and further on play) with reconstructed @Sage Alexa lut... I didn't bought it, but I inspected his process and results and tried to reconstruct... so, IMO, he really did marvel and I'm ready to take totally serious what he said about how close GH5 with cleverly tweaking channels/colors could be to, say, Alexa!  Great time for artistic shooters...

@webrunner5

Yes, it would be challenge even for me-fanatic (once upon a time I swam for national swimming team)... but maybe you still have some pirate boat around the corner... or forgotten in the your old full photo storeroom...

On 7/11/2018 at 12:14 PM, anonim said:

@nigelbb

Thanks... I'm personally little bit tired of endless discussion of the same technical tips - so I thought it would be more interesting to see them in some unpretentious, uncontrolled actions with artistic touch, at least in the season of vacation... Actually, it was interesting weather for me, being able to filming during all day with diffuse light and without ugly harsh shadows - while I was not occupied wiht long swimming :) ... As I wrote in youtube comment, it was GH5 with Voigts 17.5 and 42.5

I really liked the vibe of your video and the feel with the diffuse light.  Seems like more of an autumn/winter scene than summer :).  I'm Spain right now with my travel kit (GX80 + 15mm/1.7, 7mm/2.0 and 45-175mm powerzoom), although most of the video will be of my kids doing stuff - not sure how artistic I can make it - ha ha.  I should try as people like Martin Wallgren do (linked) so I guess I need to try harder.

How do you handle the outdoor/bright daylight scenes to get the shallow depth of focus with the Voigtlanders?  Do you just up the shutter speed or use NDs?  I have the same combo, but don't travel with them because of the wight and since I don't do much night stuff (small kids that get up early) I don't really need the large aperture.

I concur Jon's comments. Kudos to Vasha : ) Not only night footage (to prove with the right settings, this camera can be a low light killer : P) but also daily footage. To those used to bash this wonderful piece of technology to infer it as too videoish, here you have what a pilot or competent shooter means. Coupled to the proper glass under control to know the limits of your acquisition tool, why do we need another capture device BTW?  ; )

@webrunner5 you are on the spot, Don... my 8 years of Montenegro can only confirm you that : -)

I quite like the image quality in both these videos but the pacing is killing me.. in the first one with all the slow focus pulls from static background to a static foreground object (rock or piece of paper, etc.) are just too much of a snooze for me.. sorry, I couldn't finish.  I feel like for shots like that to hold interest they need to have at least some interesting motion going on (camera or subject), or just phenomenal composition / framing / color / etc., like gallery-quality landscape photography.  My suggestion would be to hold all the shots for way less time and try and tell a bit more of a story from the sequencing at least in terms of a progression between spaces or time frames. 

In the kid video I quite liked the tree climbing section at the beginning because it's all shot so tight and there's a huge 3D feel because of all the parallaxing of the branches and the body, but then it got pretty boring with just walking through fields and stuff so I couldn't finish it.  I'm sure it's an awesome video for a parent though, since watching your kid play is endlessly entertaining.

Sorry, don't mean to sound negative, I'm a total amateur here so not trying to come across as some kind of expert.  And just so this post is not all critique I'll put some of my own vacation stuff out here to be cut up :).  This video is from a trip to Granada, Spain a couple years back:

There's lots of static backgrounds in this video too, which can be pretty boring, so I tried to keep the visual interest with a lot of camera motion, probably too much in fact (most of it is walking with the camera on a gimbal, hence the title), and trying to find some interesting people scenes in the environments.  Tech specs: Sony A7R2, Zeiss 24mm f/1.8, Sony FE 55mm f/1.8, Sony 10-18mm f/4, PilotFly H2.

In terms of making static landscape shots visually interesting, I'm a big fan of Camille Marotte's stuff (example below).  He captures a lot of beautiful details in a travel context and often does a great job composing with very simple elements - e.g. the opening shots of this video with an out-of-focus arm resting on a boat, framing an ocean sunset or the sun flaring into the lens as it moves across the ripped edge of a tarp.  And of course there's the people.. in travel videos I find we all yearn to see the people since so much of what defines the flavor of a location is the people themselves.

14 hours ago, sgreszcz said:

How do you handle the outdoor/bright daylight scenes to get the shallow depth of focus with the Voigtlanders?  Do you just up the shutter speed or use NDs?  I have the same combo, but don't travel with them because of the wight and since I don't do much night stuff (small kids that get up early) I don't really need the large aperture.

Thanks - yes, I always use ND filter for the bright outdoor scenery, keeping aperture value around f2 or less. As it is known, Voigts can focus at near proper macro distance, so shallow depth is easy to achieve for some effects... Actually, I find that voigts are pretty small - but that, of course, depends of the other camera/lens combination we are used to work with (I kept comparative Contax Zeiss lenses for the case of potential usage of other, S35 or FF camera). Unfortunately, although I had all m43 AF lenses except new Olympus pro primes - I was not satisfied with their image - for my eyes they all look near the same with difference only in max aperture value, to much software corrected... Voigts, contrary - which I have everyday opportunity  to compare with Zeisses and Leica Rs, looks to me even better than this classic favs...

@Emanuel

Thanks, it was fast little work but filled with emotions...  Yes, modern cameras, especially these with greater dynamic latitude are extremely capable - if they go in pair with appropriate lenses... As always, mention of Upstream color, GH2 and Voigts is the must... 

5 hours ago, tellure said:

with all the slow focus pulls from static background to a static foreground object (rock or piece of paper, etc.)

Thanks for comments, although you admit that you didn't see it :) Actually, quoted open shot is pretty large continuous lateral and focus motion and I had to repeat it several time with handheld limits - it started with infinity, than move to the close focus  of cemetery monument, than closer to ash pot, than to the (for me) interesting piece of paper on which one child wrote message to its late grandfather, than knife etc... And thanks for addition!

37 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@anonim You’ve got much better dexterity than this caffeined up guy, that’s for sure!

If you think so...

Btw ... must to admit that I miss a little new casting adventures with Huang... I don't know why, her and your efforts looks to me so lovable and always bring me a smile... breeze of unexpected encounter and unpretentious creative convergency.. as an writer, I greatly appreciate such spontaneous moments in our life...

Hi, I've been a longtime lurker on this forum but never had a reason to contribute as I have next to zero experience in film making and cameras despite being quite interested in them. I guess you could call me an armchair enthusiast; I watch and read a lot of stuff online but haven't really acted on any of it. That said, last year I went on a trip to Japan and set myself the task of recording a bunch of footage with the intent to produce some kind of edited video clip. I soon realised that the process wasn't as easy as I initially thought it was going to be as I struggled to get any smooth stable shots. Just about everything I shot was marred with micro jitters and vomit inducing shakes (I was travelling light and did not bring a tripod). In an attempt to salvage my barely usable inconsistent clips, I did what all good amateurs do and threw on an excessive amount of overlays and light leaks to try and create the overly used "old school vintage film look". I know it's probably below the standards of this forum but here is the result.

Hi, I've been a longtime lurker on this forum but never had a reason to contribute as I have next to zero experience in film making and cameras despite being quite interested in them. I guess you could call me an armchair enthusiast; I watch and read a lot of stuff online but haven't really acted on any of it. That said, last year I went on a trip to Japan and set myself the task of recording a bunch of footage with the intent to produce some kind of "travel" video clip. I soon realised that the process wasn't as easy as I initially thought it was going to be as I struggled to get any smooth stable shots. Just about everything I shot was marred with micro jitters and vomit inducing shakes (I was travelling light and did not bring a tripod). In an attempt to salvage my barely usable inconsistent clips, I did what all good amateurs do and threw on an excessive amount of overlays and light leaks to try and create the overly used "old school vintage film look". I know it's probably below the standards of this forum but here's the result.

3 hours ago, stv said:

Hi, I've been a longtime lurker on this forum but never had a reason to contribute as I have next to zero experience in film making and cameras despite being quite interested in them. I guess you could call me an armchair enthusiast; I watch and read a lot of stuff online but haven't really acted on any of it. That said, last year I went on a trip to Japan and set myself the task of recording a bunch of footage with the intent to produce some kind of "travel" video clip. I soon realised that the process wasn't as easy as I initially thought it was going to be as I struggled to get any smooth stable shots. Just about everything I shot was marred with micro jitters and vomit inducing shakes (I was travelling light and did not bring a tripod). In an attempt to salvage my barely usable inconsistent clips, I did what all good amateurs do and threw on an excessive amount of overlays and light leaks to try and create the overly used "old school vintage film look". I know it's probably below the standards of this forum but here's the result.

Thanks! I like your core concept very much - actually, I found it quite inspiring... continuous train-traveling transition and than stop to pay attention to something new and important. Filckering damage effects and vigneting are so nice incorporate in global fluidity; leaks, I'd say, in less extent but also are often adding some mysterious mood as, say, connecting flash holes in memory (?) Micro jitters are enough controlled and even contribute to effects... All in all, for my eyes and taste, I can say just: thanks and bravo, nice concept and inspiring, very consistent exercise.

Hi @anonim, thanks for your kind feedback! I'm really glad you liked it. Overall, I think the vintage look worked out ok in this case. I'd like to go back to Japan later this year and hopefully get some clean footage like yours (beautiful place and shots by the way). Do you find the IBIS in the GH5 good enough for getting smooth footage? I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading from the G7 or getting a gimbal instead.

50 minutes ago, stv said:

@anonimDo you find the IBIS in the GH5 good enough for getting smooth footage? I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading from the G7 or getting a gimbal instead.

I always hesitate to comment something that is so widely explored... so, as my best (and nothing special clever) I'd say that maybe the best answer is to try as much as possible solutions. It really depends of type of shots, usage, scenario, possible control over circumstances, monitoring solution, decision about AF or MF etc...  Except for walking shots, I think that GH5 IBIS is safely enough for near all creative tasks if you have ultra wide lens in front (I had no it in above case – but I found that in some other occasions I had success even with running with 10mm m43 lens). Although gimbals are so popular, and with the reason, they are, of course, clumsy... I think that we have to have at least two cameras for comfortable usage of gimbal, one of which might be permanently tied with gimbal - constant putting on/off camera with balancing is not something that I enjoy.

Actually, I'm in process of selling my Zhiyun Crane 2... Even if I have no prospect of usage of gears just for, say, two months, I'm selling without regret such expensive and fast-loosing-value technical adds... Who knows what will be the next... Olympus with even better Ibis? Or DJ Ronin S mini? 

What I find the most important is - impression that you have imagination to resolve tasks and problems in the creative way, which is power that is impossible to buy!

Nice stuff stv, I thought the film effects and leaks were well done.  Especially when the leaks were timed to the little bursts of static in the music (unless those were added in post?).  I agree with anonim about the structure of the train travel breaking up the stops for travel moments was really effective.  There were a few train station shots that lasted a bit too long IMO but overall well done.

Yeah I enjoyed this very much. I love a good vintage look so that was also appreciated. What kind of overlays did you use? Also what lens/es did you shoot with? Obviously the G7 is working good enough for you, but if you’re looking to upgrade, I’m sure the IBIS of the G85/G9/GH5 would definitely help a lot with any shakes you’re encountering. And if you want some rock solid video, the Olympus IBIS is even better than Panasonic’s. I had the E-M5ii for a spell last year and I almost had to try really hard to get shaky footage.

Anyway, if this is what you are capable of as an “armchair enthusiast,” I can’t wait to see what you do when you get up from that comfy chair.

As we're discussing travel videos, I'm curious about your feelings about duration. I think that the "parties involved" tend to go towards too much length due to having an emotional connection while an un-involved viewer might be better served with a short clip of only 1 or maybe maximum 2 minutes? Maybe split a longer clip up into multiple shorter ones with a specific theme?

Obviously if it is to be posted via Social Media, attention span of most viewers is more like 10 to 30 seconds.