Macbook Pro or Surface Book 2 for 4k editing?

DevonChris

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

So you're saying that if you installed a Titan V 12GB, there would be a performance increase in Resolve, but not Final Cut, is that correct?

That is correct. 

On 7/13/2018 at 4:36 AM, jase said:

now if they make FCPX work with that Blackmagic eGPU thingy...

It will work, but unfortunately the eGPU will not be used for rendering. That was not the case for older versions of macOS & FCPX, and I hope with maveric and a new version of FCPX this will change. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, jonpais said:

Not contradicting you, but is there a link to provide evidence of this? I was under the impression that Final Cut makes very efficient use of the GPUs Apple’s computers come installed with... Thanks.

Oh I think Every NLE is using the benefits of a GPU, some more, some less. But since Apple computers are basically so weak on GPU power they are not a computer to use for the modern times other than FCPX. Resolve is one of the newest NLE's out there, They were more a Colorist software years ago, and unlike when say Premier came out, GPU's were not so hot and processors were at the time. So they wrote code to take advantage of CPU's. But now they are sort of screwed as they can't really re write all the code to the GPU side.

But you are allowed to use any other NLE other than FCPX and take advantage of external GPU power. It sure looks  sure it will help with FCPX also,  the link @Axel supplied showing the charts before and after prove that. https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/01/egpu-acceleration-internal-display-mac-apps-macos-video/

So in essence Apple has been well screwing everyone in the past and now for having whimpy ass GPU's in them. I know the reason , and the reason is heat!  And Apple is so damn obsessed with making everything thin as hell, you are going to pay the price for beauty over performance everyday. There is no room for the fans and cooper piping that is needed to cool a high performance GPU in any Apple product they make.

Remember when Red cameras came out with the Red Rocket just to help with the weak GPU's at the time. Wow how things have changed. http://www.red.com/store/red-rocket

I can't write anything when I put a hyperlink of someones name after their name. Crazy stuff. And I can't delete Roberts name. Silly, no Robert is not silly, he has some damn good points here. ?

@Robert Collins

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

That makes sense.

It will be interesting to see his test results.

One thing to note. Davinci Resolve is the only NLE (that I know of) that includes having a GPU (with 4GB memory) in their system requirement. Premiere and FCPX say a GPU is optional.

My assumption would be that if you write a program that doesnt require a GPU, it is unlikely to be optimized for use with a GPU.

38 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

It will be interesting to see his test results.

One thing to note. Davinci Resolve is the only NLE (that I know of) that includes having a GPU (with 4GB memory) in their system requirement. Premiere and FCPX say a GPU is optional.

My assumption would be that if you write a program that doesnt require a GPU, it is unlikely to be optimized for use with a GPU.

That makes sense too!