Macbook Pro or Surface Book 2 for 4k editing?

DevonChris

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

That's what the Aorus box is in my link, although technically you could change the card later if you wanted to.

It's still a card in a box - this is what I was referring to: https://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-Breakaway-Radeon-Windows-Compatible/dp/B076MHMF3V/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1531061276&sr=1-10&keywords=egpu

Not as powerful, but it's one step further evolved than chopping a desktop case in half, putting a power supply in it, and then putting in a desktop graphics card.

People are using huge numbers of graphics cards for bitcoin mining and AI, I'm waiting for them to invent a layer between the computer and the tech so that the software doesn't have to know how many GPUs are connected, and you can just connect as many devices like this as you want.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Ah, I see what you were getting at now.

Its the same deal in essence with a thunderbolt controller and graphics card but, yes, they are getting the smaller footprint from using the MXM module.

3618-sonnet-breakaway-rx-560-puck-egpu-components-2.thumb.jpg.09d559d157c301a40b6e26abb820eed0.jpg

You could argue that conceptually they've just chopped a smaller desktop case in half that has an external power supply ;) 

The smaller footprint is useful if you are going to be moving about but without access to AC power it becomes a bit moot I suppose if you are looking at truly mobile editing. 

22 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Ah, I see what you were getting at now.

Its the same deal in essence with a thunderbolt controller and graphics card but, yes, they are getting the smaller footprint from using the MXM module.

You could argue that conceptually they've just chopped a smaller desktop case in half that has an external power supply ;) 

The smaller footprint is useful if you are going to be moving about but without access to AC power it becomes a bit moot I suppose if you are looking at truly mobile editing. 

Indeed - conceptually they're the same!

I guess I see two major elements to the picture, one is size, and the second is the scalable architecture I mentioned before.  With those two they can start putting two, three, four, six, twelve, and then onwards to dozens of them in the same box.

I remember programming a computer that had 2048 processors when I was back at university, and geez, if you knew how to program it right it sure could fly!  I didn't go into parallel computing far enough to get a glimpse of how they program a parallel algorithm for an unknown number of processors, but they should have worked it out now with these multi-core machines we all have.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, kye said:

I remember programming a computer that had 2048 processors when I was back at university, and geez, if you knew how to program it right it sure could fly!  

I struggle with 1 at my disposal let alone 20148 so it would just mean my code crashed quicker so it would still be a timesaver !

On 7/8/2018 at 8:24 AM, Shirozina said:

The standard XP’s 9570 is a better spec - do you really need the 2 in1 feature. Laptops are pretty poor choices for 4K video editing as they just don’t have the cooling capacity so for real-time playback and rendering and they will shudder to a stuttering mess very quickly. Good for reviewing footage but for editing I’d stick to a good desktop machine.

Quite a few people edit 4K on laptops pretty easily. I have a year old gaming laptop that plays and edits 4K pretty well, even without using proxies. 

Obviously a desktop will handle it better but it's doable. 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

Quite a few people edit 4K on laptops pretty easily. I have a year old gaming laptop that plays and edits 4K pretty well, even without using proxies. 

Obviously a desktop will handle it better but it's doable. 

Depends on what codec and how complex their timelines are. Gaming laptops are good in some ways as they have powerful GPU's and are designed for hard continual use but often lack good quality screens for any grading capability.

Anything with a Intel Core i7-8750H and NVIDIA 1060 works fine.
If Resolve is important get a laptop with a 1070 or even 1080 instead, 8GB of GPU memory are necessary.
16GB of system RAM is the bare minimum. If compositing is done in 4K, 32GB is the minimum RAM capacity.

7 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Depends on what codec and how complex their timelines are. Gaming laptops are good in some ways as they have powerful GPU's and are designed for hard continual use but often lack good quality screens for any grading capability.

Many laptops nowadays have at least 1080p IPS screens with almost or even full sRGB coverage. Perfectly fine, even for grading after calibration.

For what it’s worth, I just cut a four minute video of a6500 4K and 1080 120fps footage on a 2012 15” Retina MacBook Pro i7 w/8gb ram and a nvidia 650. Of course I downscaled the 4K to 1080. This machine edits ok but color grading is rough!! (Old gpu, only 8gb ram). 

37 minutes ago, Dustin said:

For what it’s worth, I just cut a four minute video of a6500 4K and 1080 120fps footage on a 2012 15” Retina MacBook Pro i7 w/8gb ram and a nvidia 650. Of course I downscaled the 4K to 1080. This machine edits ok but color grading is rough!! (Old gpu, only 8gb ram). 

Ever tried GH5 footage? ?

56 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

It’s still a highly compressed codec and hard work to decode.

Not as silky smooth as ProRes I have found, but exponentially better than GH5 IPB

Going endlessly back and forth between All-I, alexa ProRes and IPB, I frame codecs were almost the same, and IPB notably different

Does anyone know if the new MBP’s have a re-designed keyboard?

Finally, the butterfly switch keyboard has been upgraded to a new 3rd generation. While Apple wasn’t keen to shed light on how the revision addresses concerns regarding the previous keyboard in terms of reliability (i.e. sticking keys), we’re told the core focus of the upgrade was to reduce noise, and this was certainly evident in the short time we tested the keyboard; however, we were also told that it should feel differently, but we’re not getting that yet.

https://www.techradar.com/news/first-look-macbook-pro-2018-these-macs-are-all-about-more-more-more

Answering my own question, however, of course it’s far too early to say if this cures the sticking key problem.

My first thought was that the new 15in is really expensive, but then I realised that a similarly configured 6 core model is actually 500 bucks cheaper than what I paid for my quad core 18 months ago!

But for my money I'd be very tempted by the Quad core 13in with the eGPU.

8 hours ago, Phil A said:

BMD partnered with Apple for an external GPU, it was announced today.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicegpu/

That seems a bit limited compared to this though.. maybe it has a better graphics card, but from where I"m sitting you can do more with the one @BTM_Pix shared earlier in this thread (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-aorus-gtx-1070-gaming-box-thunderbolt-3-rgb-graphics-box)

It seems smaller and can run an additional 4 displays. For myself, I like to edit with 3 screens, and the BM would only allow me to do that if I use the MacBook display as one of them. Which is fine I guess, but you can't beat 3 of the same displays all calibrated and coloured in the same way. 

Does anyone know if the BM box is upgradable?