Iron Glass Adapters - opinions?

Jon Karr

ironglassadapters.com - These guys seem to be doing some pretty cool stuff. I know it's fake, but I can see the benefits besides just price. Has anyone tried their lenses? Thoughts? 

This is part of their demo reel (not my work, obv): 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/8/2018 at 4:05 AM, zerocool22 said:

Meh im not digging the look. anamorphic is all about the desqueeze for me. Flares are easily added in post. The only benefit from this is the anamorphic shaped bokeh. 

Yeah, the closer I look, the more I see what you mean. Also, from what I can tell, the oval aperture is only at f3.5. At any other aperture, the original blades take over. That being said, I went ahead and ordered a modified Helios 58mm. It wasn’t very expensive and there are some cool things about it - I just wouldn’t consider it a replacement for true anamorphic. I’ll use it for other stuff.

• 8 months later...

I know it's old now, but for anyone curious - I ended up getting a Helios 58, modified to be anamor-fake, from Ironglass Adaptors. **With no expectation that it would be a suitable replacement for a true anamorphic lens. They were great to deal with and what I got was pretty solid.

I actually love it and have even been doing some stills work with it. We ended up shooting a video partially with the Helios and partially with an anamorphic setup using a Sankor. Here it is, for anyone who wants to see the results.

Jon Karr

www.thatverynextthing.com/artists