Editing Machine Question

Thomas Hill

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:46 AM, Shirozina said:

Cache, proxies etc  -anything that needs fast read and write but isn't too big. Still no idea what res and codec you are going to be working on so any advice here on what hardware you need is pretty useless without that info.....

Thanks, and it's A7iii 4K XAVC-S.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
27 minutes ago, Thomas Hill said:

Thanks, and it's A7iii 4K XAVC-S.

This site has a lot of tests and hardware recommendations for Resolve and Premiere Pro.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/

I used to have an i7 4790k and 960 graphics card PC as well as an A7riii but I use Premiere Pro so what I say may not apply to Resolve.

I first upgraded to a 1080 GPU but didnt find it made much difference - in fact I cant really seem to get my 1080 to run much higher than 50% load.

I then upgraded my processor to an 8 core 7820x and this added a lot of performance.

9 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

This site has a lot of tests and hardware recommendations for Resolve and Premiere Pro.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/

I used to have an i7 4790k and 960 graphics card PC as well as an A7riii but I use Premiere Pro so what I say may not apply to Resolve.

I first upgraded to a 1080 GPU but didnt find it made much difference - in fact I cant really seem to get my 1080 to run much higher than 50% load.

I then upgraded my processor to an 8 core 7820x and this added a lot of performance.

This matches my experience, too. I still don't think most software is written that well to take advantage of the video card. Pure CPU horsepower seems to help the most. 

Oh no doubt you can build a heck of a editing machine for a Lot less money going the PC route. The edge PC's have is it IS the only real gaming platform, so there is always this big push for faster,better CPU's, GPU's. The only real edge Apple has for editing is if you are using FCPX. For any other platform PC's are the way to go. Any Mac is pretty far behind even a PC laptop when it comes to the GPU in them. And Resolve is a GPU hungry NLE. and also I think in a few more versions will be hands down the best NLE out there for just about any money. Now I doubt they are going to displace Avid Media Composer any time soon, but I bet they are going to try and do it, and sooner than later.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:53 PM, webrunner5 said:

Oh no doubt you can build a heck of a editing machine for a Lot less money going the PC route. The edge PC's have is it IS the only real gaming platform, so there is always this big push for faster,better CPU's, GPU's. The only real edge Apple has for editing is if you are using FCPX. For any other platform PC's are the way to go. Any Mac is pretty far behind even a PC laptop when it comes to the GPU in them. And Resolve is a GPU hungry NLE. and also I think in a few more versions will be hands down the best NLE out there for just about any money. Now I doubt they are going to displace Avid Media Composer any time soon, but I bet they are going to try and do it, and sooner than later.

Ha ha , have en iMac Pro - come with your laptop man.....and running FCPX - 

Well only a Apple can really run FCPX  so I doubt my Laptop will win that battle LoL. But I have no need to use FCPX so that solves that problem. As I said I think it is well worth learning how to use Davinci Resolve. I think down the road it will be pretty much the best one there is to use for either platform. Even the free version is pretty amazing.

@Shirozina might need to try this as well. Others have suggested EditReady doesn’t affect quality I thought. But hey not tied to either methods. Just can already tell having shot a few videos on my new camera I’m def gonna have to go the extra mile to maximize the old laptop I have.