Where do you store your gear? Post pics!

Fábio Pinto

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Even in the case of Fabio, the TO, it took me less than a minute to find his social media profiles and track down the town where he lives - from where it wouldn't be difficult for a dedicated criminal to find out his street address, too.

Far from all I got, but it is most of what I need if I am in a hurry and want to just grab and go. I use this Manforrato Carbon Fiber Tripod, and Manforrato 502 head most of the time.

Speaking of Manforrato tripods. I found this gizmo for them that solves having that big foot they use for the disconnect. It is great with a full sized Cine camera like my AF100A was. But if you are using a DSLR or Mirrorless that foot is huge. This item really solves the problem and it is from Manforrato. That way you can use a Arca Swiss plate. Pictured below on my Fluid Head. And you don't have to crap around with that damn small pull out knob on the side you can Never get to. It is right there on the back with this gizmo. Easy Peezy. You only have to use that dumb knob on the side once when you install the new foot, and even then nothing is in the way to put it on..

https://www.adorama.com/pm501.html

IMG_0047[1].JPG

IMG_0048[1].JPG

IMG_0049[1].JPG

10 hours ago, cantsin said:

Even in the case of Fabio, the TO, it took me less than a minute to find his social media profiles and track down the town where he lives - from where it wouldn't be difficult for a dedicated criminal to find out his street address, too.

I'm not asking where you hide your gear or if it's under your bed. I just want to know what kind of shelf or cabinet you use, if it's always in the bags, or if you have built something DIY. :)

I always had my cameras and lenses in a ikea kallax 4x2 shelf but I can't store my bags and tripods there, so I'm looking for another solution. Maybe a small wardrobe.

2 hours ago, Fábio Pinto said:

I'm not asking where you hide your gear or if it's under your bed. I just want to know what kind of shelf or cabinet you use, if it's always in the bags, or if you have built something DIY. :)

I always had my cameras and lenses in a ikea kallax 4x2 shelf but I can't store my bags and tripods there, so I'm looking for another solution. Maybe a small wardrobe.

I have exactly the same setup and issue - Kallax 4x2 with the drawers, but the bags don't fit in it.

• Super Members

Ikea Malm chests of drawers.

They're very solid and the drawers are deep, wide and tall enough to accommodate everything.

I have a dedicated drawer for Nikon for work and then a draw for mirrorless, a draw for audio and a draw for live video.

I use a combination of their dividers for making custom shapes for the longer lenses and the padded divider cases like these from Amazon.

71x4WaCOS6L._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.5a06d624e420bbcce960c828c2861a3a.jpg

I store these in logical sets for different types of jobs I'm going out on and then that way I can just pull them out and put them into real camera backpacks, or Peli cases depending on what it is and where I'm going.

On top of the Malm unit I also have a set of 18 plastic drawers for filters, lens adapter, straps, rig components, batteries, media, IT etc 

Its surprisingly well ordered but still doesn't stop me tipping the place upside down looking for stuff every time I'm doing something.

Of course, we mustn't forget my DIY battery charging station ;)

1900869301_DSCF2197(2).thumb.jpg.cdb6aec6171cc9d7f2b5e18471815cdf.jpg

37 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

I just keep all my stuff in a peli case ready to go

That is a great way to go. If you don't have a whole kit in bags, sort of on the ready to go, it Never fails when you get there you have forgot something, might be a stupid step down ring, but it will stop you cold from getting the shot or shoot. Sure you can't take everything, but unless it is some specialized shoot you rarely need some extra thing you have stuffed away in a drawer you cant find to save your ass when you need it.

Wires are the worse. They all sort of look the same when they are grouped together when you are in a hurry. But no way I have ever found to avoid it. If a wire can get tangled up with another it sure as hell will. Plus stuff in bags is pretty well protected compared to even in drawers, or on a shelf.

I use the Poor Man Drybox: Daiso hermetically sealed plastic boxes, with bags of orange silica and a little digital higrometer inside each box (I've read that below 42% of humidity in your dry box could dry the grease of some lenses).

Keep the silica bags until reach the desired humidity, take the bag out and (for the less opened boxes) it is enough to keep the humidity in the same level for weeks.

Box looks like this one (I have only small cameras):

Large-Transparent-Sealed-Box-with-Handle

but any sealed box could serve (there are much larger ones).

Higrometer like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-LCD-Indoor-Temperature-Humidity-Meter-Thermometer-Hygrometer-WOUS/182188821858?hash=item2a6b4ccd62:g:0Y8AAOSwhOVXc-07

But by far the best solution is a dedicated powered dry cabinet like @jonpais have.