Samsung NX1 Adobe Premiere CC workflow recommendations

thefarmovie

Hi 

I am asking on behalf of my  son who is an enthusiastic young aspiring filmmaker. 

He is using a laptop (Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 7577, i7, Nvidia Maxq 1060, SSD drive). 

He has a LOT of issues with his Premiere workflow. Its slow. Its cumbersome. 

He cannot play back 4K. He takes HOURS to transcode 4K with Adobe Media Encoder. 

In summary he is about to give up on the NX1. 

So I am asking : 

What is the best workflow for 4K and Adobe Premiere CC ? 

What tricks are you using to make it work for you ? 

What tools are using to transcode H.265 ? 

What format are you using to edit inside Premiere ? 

What format do you export to ?

Are you working with proxies ? 

Or is it not possible to work without a BIG computer with the NX1 4K files ? 

Or is there a better software stack for it ? Da Vinci, Avid etc ? 

Sorry for the long topic.

I would be grateful for any suggestions as I believe the NX1 to be an absolutely amazing camera and a bit my fault that I recommended it to my son. 

So I hope the videos it creates can be worked with.  

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

It should be no problem on that powerful system (GTX 1060) to playback 4K H.265, as long as the OS and Premiere are both updated to the latest 2018 builds.

Also make sure the graphics drivers are up to date.

DaVinci Resolve is also worth a look, it's free from here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

I use Cyberlink Power Director 16 and a desktop pc with GTX1060 and hardware acceleration. No need for transcoding HEVC H.265 files. I render my NX1 4K files with 128 Mbps in less than real time. Text, transitions and edited clips on 2 timelines take 0,6X real time (20 minutes takes 12 minutes to complete). In the Cyberlink forum they say that editing on a laptop is hard to make the HWA to work though. I upload my videos to YouTube and there is no need for transcoding there either.

The problem is the computer. Laptops in my experience struggle editing the H.265 output from the NX1. I have a similar Inspirion and it is barely useable editing NX1 footage, but my desktop (a 8700K system with a 1080Ti graphics card) has no issues. There is a huge difference between the capabilities of a laptop and a desktop. If he wants to use the laptop he is probably going to need to transcode his clips first. It will take a long time, but if he can batch convert them he could have it run overnight.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:08 PM, Mokara said:

The problem is the computer. Laptops in my experience struggle editing the H.265 output from the NX1. I have a similar Inspirion and it is barely useable editing NX1 footage, but my desktop (a 8700K system with a 1080Ti graphics card) has no issues. There is a huge difference between the capabilities of a laptop and a desktop. If he wants to use the laptop he is probably going to need to transcode his clips first. It will take a long time, but if he can batch convert them he could have it run overnight.

Hi. Thanks. Which format would you recommend to transcode to ? Would you recommend to work with proxies or just transcode ? 

On 7/4/2018 at 4:36 PM, Andrew Reid said:

It should be no problem on that powerful system (GTX 1060) to playback 4K H.265, as long as the OS and Premiere are both updated to the latest 2018 builds.

Also make sure the graphics drivers are up to date.

DaVinci Resolve is also worth a look, it's free from here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Hi Andrew, thank you for your answer. It just does not do in Premiere CC even using the latest drivers running on the GPU etc. What format would you recommend to work with instead if he needs to transcode ? 
Going with da vinci. Would it perform better than Premiere CC ?

Thanks 

Rupert