Canon 5D Mark 3 features headphone jack? Connection ports decoded

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/5d-mark-3-connection-ports.jpg[/img]

More images of the 5D Mark III have been outed on [url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/02/more-5d-mark-iii-images/"]Canon Rumors[/url] ahead of the release date, which is imminent. One of the pictures shows what looks like a headphone jack. Here EOSHD takes a close look at what has changed on the left side of the camera body in terms of ports and connections…

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7102/canon-5d-mark-3-features-headphone-jack-connection-ports-decoded/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
No Thunderbolt.

To be honest however, I am pretty happy with the audio monitoring port, and all I want now is for the video image out of this camera to be STUNNING. That is what really matters. Rest of it can be as unimaginative and conservative as they like...

[quote author=Mark Holmes link=topic=331.msg2039#msg2039 date=1330370717]
It is much more important to me that they change the 12-minute recording limit. Recording non-stop for unlimited times is not something I'm willing to give up, after getting use to it on my GH2. What I really want is word on the GH3, or a new pro-level m43 camera.
[/quote]

I second this.  I had to do a 3 camera shoot, had to bust out the old 5dmkII and forgot about the 12min limit!  But the real bugger is the drop in resolution when recording.  If they can do like the GH2 and keep it at 1080P, then I'm all for it.  Good times ahead!!

There are a considerable number of 5D mkII shooters already using Magic Lantern, Canon also has to consider that. That whatever they improve on the Mark III has to be better than 5D mkII + Magic Lantern Unified.

5D mkII+ML Unified already has these and more;

-Headphone monitoring
-Focus peaking and other focus assist features like;
-Magnified window
-False color
-Histogram while recording
-Waveform while recording
-Clear screen HDMI out for use with ext recording device (Im careful not to use the term Good HDMI out signal because I'm not sure how good it is)
-Split audio channels with independent controls allowing use of internal and external mic simultaneously
-HDR video (albeit tricky to use with fast motion, ok with 60D, 600D due to their 720 60P)
-customized crop marks
-Built in Intervalometer for video
-Variable frame rate from 3 to 31 fps which is good for clean lowlight/night shots or for motion blur effects
-Programmable rack focus

Also, for much less cost than a new DSLR, the mosaic filter has solved Moire and Aliasing on the 5D mkII

There are also several features for stills like focus stacking and bulb ramping.

So with these features in our current 5Ds I for one am looking for significantly more improvements in the new 5D mkIII than just merely improving on a stock mkII.