Best native bokeh lens for GH5?

Amazeballs

I've been trying to figure out which one to get. I'am currently stuck between 42.5 1.7 and 1.2. The difference in bokeh doesn't seem to justify the difference in price and weight. And small Pana can focus much closer giving me an option for even more bokeh for semi-macro close ups shots.

Any thought on which one to get for video? 

I know that MF on 1.7 is terrible for video, how is 1.2 focus ring in that regard? Is there difference in AFC? Anything else I might have miss? Besides dual is 1 vs 2.

I also have 25 1.4 for more wide shots so I need a portrait lens now. 

Oly 75 1.8 is not what I want cos of the distance it needs and lack of any OIS. On telephoto lenses dual IS starts to metter. 

I am not listing Sigma 18-35 cos it's AF is pretty bad.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
44 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The Olympus 45mm f/1.2 Pro’s got nicer bokeh than the Nocticron. It’s also got clutch manual focus. I’ve never had an issue with stabilization with that lens.

I've seen comparisons and the difference of bokeh between Noct and Oly 1.2 primes is neglegible though with a slight edge for Oly. The problem for me is that Oly costs twice as much comparing to a used Noct in my country. And I can get Noc for around 800$ right now. Still feels expansive though. 

Olympus 45mm f1.8. You get a bit extra bokeh because the focal plane isnt flat at the sides (I think the Lenstip review talks about this, they have compared all options in this range). Mine had a slight yellow cast as well which made images look better straight away. It is well within your budget and the bokeh is smoother than the 42.5mm f1.7. But the latter has OIS. Try them both in a store. The Panasonic is a bit sharper but the bokeh a bit busier. 

Also try the Sigma 60mm f2.8 which has a similar depth of field (depending on distance).  The 60 is not too long, ridiculously sharp for the $200 price and has nice smooth bokeh. The 60 is less easy to use manually and bigger, but once you see the sharpness you will probably accept that.

If you want sharpness and subject separation I would get the Sigma. If you want a smoother more filmic look get the Olympus. I think someone compared the Olympus to the f1.2 version and said the bokeh was the same smoothness, obviously just not as heavy.

If you would consider manual: 7Artisans should come out with a M43 version of their new 35mm f1.2 soon (it is on B&H as back order). It is out of stock in many places so they may be doing a big new batch and I think they may add M43 on. The focus ring isnt the smoothest but it is shaped nicely making focusing a nice experience. These types of Chinese lenses often come in M43 mounts and often have clickless aperture rings. Their brand new 50mm f1.8 has a M43 version and looks nice, but the 35mm f1.2 is so tempting and apparently a pretty sharp lens. Feels really solid and is tiny for a f1.2. 

The Leica 42.5 Nocticron f1.2... This lens has something that mere spec sheet numbers cannot speak to. This lens has magic. It is one of those few "special" lenses. It's built to true Leica standards. As well made as any of my other Leica lenses. And at a price that is a bargain. It is designed for the Panasonic GH cameras, so performance will be exactly as expected. I consider this lens to be one of my best (regardless of system), and on a short list of the finest M43 lenses available.

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

The Leica 42.5 Nocticron f1.2... This lens has something that mere spec sheet numbers cannot speak to. This lens has magic. It is one of those few "special" lenses. It's built to true Leica standards. As well made as any of my other Leica lenses. And at a price that is a bargain. It is designed for the Panasonic GH cameras, so performance will be exactly as expected. I consider this lens to be one of my best (regardless of system), and on a short list of the finest M43 lenses available.

I don't think you are alone with your feelings about the lens LoL. B&M reviewers of it seem to agree. 43 out of 44 give it 5 Stars!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023336-REG/panasonic_leica_dg_nocticron_42_5mm.html/xpcur/xCHF/IWB/mx?c3api=0980%2C110370500933&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-HZBRAwEiwAGw0QcVTzAvFWNAlVqRNE7vwh8nYc6sAVUoHMLvLEzmlpWK9g2lRDeBc9XRoCKC4QAvD_BwE

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

And that 4 star review is not for the Leica anyway, it's in the wrong place as it is for the Lumix F1.7 ?