Shot All Handheld On The 1DX II

Snowbro

Hey guys, I got really sick of hauling a gimbal around; setting it up back & forth between lenses and photos. I tested using just the Sigma 35mm & Canon 85mm IS on the 1DX Mark ii (120p). I was looking at getting a Sony for the IBIS, but i've seen a bunch of videos showing that it can be very jumpy sometimes. I only stabilized a couple driving clips in post. I pray for the day that we have full frame cameras with the IBIS like a GH5 haha. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this area of Utah I grew up in, it has some really cool hidden areas i've been exploring! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks Mercer! The IS on it is extremely good for photos and great for video if you don't move much. The IS while shooting video feels like it tries to lock onto a point/subject on the x axis, so panning can be jumpy and not always correctable in post stabilization. The drone is just a tiny DJI Mavic Air, I had the Mavic Pro and I think the video quality is slightly better on the Air, but the Air can lose signal easy in cities sometime because it uses a form of wifi. It is very convenient, but I will likely get the Mavic Pro 2 when it comes out, I could fly miles with my first one in an urban area and not worry about signal loss. 

Cool video.

I shoot almost exclusively handheld and one technique that seems to work is to either hold the camera still enough for the IS to simulate a locked off tripod shot, or to be deliberately moving the camera in a direction (pan, tilt, whatever) because then the micro-movements from hand-shake kind of get hidden by the larger movements you're making intentionally.

I've also found that panning with IS is a bit strange.  It's like the lens has 'modes' where it thinks you're stationary or you're panning, and it can be very difficult to get the lens to understand that you're panning (and will jerk and be strange) but once it works it out then it will stabilise the pan quite well.  I guess that depends on the lens though.  The main lenses I have experience with for IS is the kit 18-55 and 55-250 APSC lenses and the built-in lens of the XC10, but they're all Canon so might be similar to the IS in your 85mm.

I just watched a few of your videos and man I love the 1DXii stuff... Northern Cali looks amazing in 4K 60p. I couldn’t notice the 1 stop loss of DR with the 1DXii. What picture profile are you using?

I’ve been thinking about picking up a drone. I originally was thinking about the DJI X5R to help match ML Raw from my 5D3, but I suppose that may be a bit much for my first drone. 

Anyway, great stuff. Thanks for posting. 

Btw, how did you get so many followers on IG? I need to hire you for PR.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Cool video.

I shoot almost exclusively handheld and one technique that seems to work is to either hold the camera still enough for the IS to simulate a locked off tripod shot, or to be deliberately moving the camera in a direction (pan, tilt, whatever) because then the micro-movements from hand-shake kind of get hidden by the larger movements you're making intentionally.

I've also found that panning with IS is a bit strange.  It's like the lens has 'modes' where it thinks you're stationary or you're panning, and it can be very difficult to get the lens to understand that you're panning (and will jerk and be strange) but once it works it out then it will stabilise the pan quite well.  I guess that depends on the lens though.  The main lenses I have experience with for IS is the kit 18-55 and 55-250 APSC lenses and the built-in lens of the XC10, but they're all Canon so might be similar to the IS in your 85mm.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing towards the end of testing! I also found that shooting in 4k & holding still without any IS, it looks shaky, but it is still usable with post stabilization thanks to the low rolling shutter of this camera. I had big issues with my Sony a6500 with stabilizing shaky footage, it couldn't do it a lot of times, looked odd. I think that Canon didn't really intend for people to shoot video & pan with these smaller IS lenses, my 70-200mm IS has a mode for panning and it works perfectly. I wish they put that into camera settings instead of a switch on the lens. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I just watched a few of your videos and man I love the 1DXii stuff... Northern Cali looks amazing in 4K 60p. I couldn’t notice the 1 stop loss of DR with the 1DXii. What picture profile are you using?

I’ve been thinking about picking up a drone. I originally was thinking about the DJI X5R to help match ML Raw from my 5D3, but I suppose that may be a bit much for my first drone. 

Anyway, great stuff. Thanks for posting. 

Btw, how did you get so many followers on IG? I need to hire you for PR.

Yeah it was really fun! I only had the camera for a few days before I went & filmed that, I used the faithful profile and turned contrast, saturation & sharpening down a lot. I tried cinestyle and couldn't get the blacks back to a dark enough level for my taste in premiere pro. I hear that people like those fake CLOG profiles for sale, but I saw testing somewhere that they can degrade your final image (counting post production) more than if you had just shot a normal profile and made it flatter. I got IG followers from doing a bunch of mindless engagements haha. I would find followers of large accounts I liked, look at their pics, comment & like if I thought it was decent, then follow sometimes. If you have decent content, people used to always follow back, now it doesn't work as much, but you can still get around a 10% return. 

22 minutes ago, TwoScoops said:

Looks really nice. Art 35mm is quite under-rated around here. A lot of fashion photographers use it these days. 

Haha yeah, almost all IG posts you see are with it (excluding traditional landscape pics). The one thing I forgot to mention; it sometimes can produce an odd solid green flare, it seems to be a Sigma coating thing, because I saw it on their 24mm too. I prefer the redish/orange flaring of the Canon lenses.