BMPCC + Lumix X 12-35 - ideal combination?

voyagervideo

Have been seriously considering this lens for my GH3 and (eventually) the BMPCC - though I can't seem to find any non-nature/event footage to get an idea of how it performs when shooting narrative work...  The focus-by-wire and electronic aperture will be a pain for video shooting also...  But the 12-35 range is really appealing (esp for the BMPCC).

Anyone have any experience with this lens beyond test videos and home movies?  Is it possible to create cinematic images with it under the right conditions, or are primes the only way to go?  And if so, what would be an ideal prime lens set for the BMPCC (regarding focal length, not brand/model)?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for the input, can you expand a little bit on why you wouldn't recommend and why the focus and aperture is a pain?  will distortion be that much of an issue given the bmpcc sensor size?  also can you comment on image quality in terms of pulling off cinematic shots?

I fail to see anything wrong with it, though I don't doubt manual focus might be an issue at times, as with pretty much any electronic lens.  This has a simple LUT applied and Brawley states (on his blog) it's not really graded.  The ND makes a big difference for focus control in this sort of light...you have to remind yourself how small this thing is.  Brawley seems very enthusiastic.

Dunno, I'm more apt to go with the 12mm SLR Magic and just be all manual, all the time.  Something like the Panny seems really good for exactly what was in the video and situations like that, where the hyperprime maybe not so much.  Not much call for auto, electronic functions in narrative production, unless you're filming a chase through a bazaar perhaps.

Yeah or unless you don't want to have to buy a ton of (relatively) expensive sub-35mm lenses for the BMPCC to cover your focal lengths.  The difference between a 12mm and 17,5mm is HUGE on the BMPCC, whereas it's not much on a GH3 and basically nothing on Super35.  I guess I am just apprehensive about investing in lenses for Super16 when the way things are going there could be a Super35 option at the same price point right around the corner.  Damn technology - why does it have to move so fast??

Thanks for the input, can you expand a little bit on why you wouldn't recommend and why the focus and aperture is a pain?  will distortion be that much of an issue given the bmpcc sensor size?  also can you comment on image quality in terms of pulling off cinematic shots?

about distortion, I´ve seen some pictures here:

http://forum.slashcam.de/weiter-vt107624.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=1235+distortion+bmpcc&&start=140

aperture is not a real problem. I just like the haptic of moving an aperture ring (and it´s faster)

focus... well, guess you just have to hold it once... I never had a focus by wire lens in my hand, so I was seriously shocked :D ...I never use it manually, I turn on auto, get my focus and switch back to manual. I don´t do any kind of dof plays with it.

Yeah or unless you don't want to have to buy a ton of (relatively) expensive sub-35mm lenses for the BMPCC to cover your focal lengths.  The difference between a 12mm and 17,5mm is HUGE on the BMPCC, whereas it's not much on a GH3 and basically nothing on Super35.  I guess I am just apprehensive about investing in lenses for Super16 when the way things are going there could be a Super35 option at the same price point right around the corner.  Damn technology - why does it have to move so fast??

The way I look at it, any MFT lenses I get, whether or not I have an ~Super-35mm option, will be useful in my anamorphic kit. Or where big ass cameras aren't welcome.

• 8 months later...

I now have a 12-35mm on my BMPCC.

Not having an aperture ring but having to press iris+up/down (breaks your fingers) is indeed a pain.

Especially since you have to do that every time you switch the camera back on and you can't keep it on because the battery is dead in no time.

Manual focus is good. I just keep changing the zoom leven instead of focus as I'm used to having focus on the large wheel.

(My always-on was the 25mm f1.4 prime up to now.)

I did not notice any visible distortion but will look more closely.

The brightness was fine. Noticably darker then my 25mm f1.4 but still more then enough.

The BIG plus of this lens is the OpticalImageStabilization of the 3rd "power" generation.

I was able to use it handheld without any shoulder support and minimal deshaking in post. No motion blur due to slight camera shaking. Smooth, slow pans handheld.

The lens is quite big and heavy and does reduce the stealth-factor of the BMPCC.

But until the 12-42PZ pancake is fully supported (lens folding up + OIS without a switch) this is acceptable.

The BIG plus of this lens is the OpticalImageStabilization of the 3rd "power" generation.

I was able to use it handheld without any shoulder support and minimal deshaking in post. No motion blur due to slight camera shaking. Smooth, slow pans handheld.

I want to second this.  The awesome pixel level detail of the BMPCC has a caveat emptor.  The slightest shake is noticable.  Even with my 14mm prime I notice it.  If you don't have an external switch to OIS, or plan to use only on a tripod, then this problem will distract you.  I suppose you can fix some of it in post.

I have the 14-45.  It's light and works fine, but the zoom is not smooth.  Good for the price you can get used though.

• 1 month later...

I know it's been said before, but you need to remember that Lumix and Zuiko lenses are specifical tailored for Panasonic and Olympus bodies, respectively. Lens quirks are resolved by the bodys' internal gubbins. When these lenses are used on the BMPCC the only way to get rid of any imperfections is in Post. And that may not always be possible.

I know it's been said before, but you need to remember that Lumix and Zuiko lenses are specifical tailored for Panasonic and Olympus bodies, respectively. Lens quirks are resolved by the bodys' internal gubbins. When these lenses are used on the BMPCC the only way to get rid of any imperfections is in Post. And that may not always be possible.

Today I noticed just that!  Barrel distortion on the 14-45 at 14mm. on the BMPCC.  Also, I'm finding the focus-by-wire more and more irritating.  I don't know if I'm coming in or going out ;)  Focus assist on the BMPCC is nothing to write home about.

The great thing about manual lenses is you can use them on all cameras.  I think I'm going to get a Rokinon 16mm cine.  I also just ordered a $100 focal reducer from China.  I think with that, and my 24mm and 50mm Nikons I won't have it easy, but at least I'll know what I"m working with.  Thoughts?