The Unthinkable - Swedish cinema at its finest.

Brother

4 hours ago, mercer said:

even a simple Rec709 conversion would benefit from Raw.

Oh, I don't disagree, but it's an ingredient in a successful recipe.  I view it analogous to using a great spice in a dish, but it's not the main component.  Rely on it too much over the more important stuff and you're gonna ruin the meal.   

Anyway, don't mean to hijack a thread.  Glad to see budget gear can be used for big-time images.  We all know this, but to see it in such accomplishment is always cool.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Danell said:

Budget + look. We could afford more expensive lenses, but the look of the Russians were exactly what we wanted for this project. Together with the oval iris we added to all of the lenses they looked like vintage lenses, but without the cost, weight and headache that comes with real anamorphics. 

I think my favorite lens was the Helios 44-2 together with Richard Gale's wide angle adapter. The character is out of the world! 

Interesting any link, tests, footage of that wide angle adapter? Never heard of it. 

12 hours ago, mjfan said:

Thanks! Which monitors did you use?

SmallHD 702

16 hours ago, Django said:

@Danell  what resolution did you guys shoot on with the FS7?

15 hours ago, Turboguard said:

Swedish expat here living in NYC. When and where can I watch this?! My best friend back in Stockholm saw it at the premiere and he said it was the best swedish movie he had ever seen.

Wow, I'm so glad to hear that! We're talking to American distributors right now, but nothing settled yet. I'll let you know!

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Exactly. It's to bad that he's not selling the wide angle adapter as a stand-alone any longer. Only as a component of his Clavius set. http://www.richardgaleoptics.uk/clavius-lenses/

Although the visuals are very impressive... I’ve watched the trailers a few times each... as a screenwriter, I am intrigued by how you used common end of days tropes as a framework to what seems like a more personal story... of course there’s only so much story one can gather from a trailer. 

Also in the US, and am looking forward to your distribution in the States.

I guess if I had a BTS question, I’d be curious to know the ratio of practical effects to CGI? 

Obviously, the helicopter crash was CGI, how about the dead birds falling to the Earth?

18 hours ago, mercer said:

Although the visuals are very impressive... I’ve watched the trailers a few times each... as a screenwriter, I am intrigued by how you used common end of days tropes as a framework to what seems like a more personal story... of course there’s only so much story one can gather from a trailer. 

I guess if I had a BTS question, I’d be curious to know the ratio of practical effects to CGI? 

Obviously, the helicopter crash was CGI, how about the dead birds falling to the Earth?

That's exactly what we aimed for! To tell a big, apocalyptic story, but through the eyes of the people. How would you and I act if our country was attacked by a mysterious enemy?

We tried as hard as we could to do as mush as possible for real. Of course it's a lot of CGI, the movie as 420 VFX shots, but we really tried to avoid all-CGI shots. The shot with the helicopters is one of the heaviest VFX-shots and include a lot of 3D. The helicopters, the threes they interact with, one car, smoke and some debris is all CGI. But what really sells the shot is the plates of real smoke, debris, dirt and rain. We spent a week in a studio blowing things up. We shoot rain, glas explosions, fire, smoke, falling birds and more. Everything that we couldn't do for real on set, we tried to shoot for real in post and comp in. 3D always was the last way out. 

The movie also include som mayor miniature shoots. We're going to release a BTS video for that next week, but here is some stills:

_MG_6770sw.jpg

_MG_6393sw.jpg

33 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

Well this is damn inspiring. How does the funding go in Sweden for projects like this? Here in Finland they are very averse to funding anything that has 'genre' in it.

It's the same in Sweden. Everything that's not romantic comedy or crime is almost impossible to make. 

Who do you go to for funding? It's not venture capitalists right? Does Sweden have a studio system like in the US with Paramount and Disney and Universal or is it much more independent producers (which is more how it is in India, for example)?

I've always been fascinated with this part of the process cause I've never understood how this worked.