G9 + Atomos Ninja V5?

Amazeballs

Was wondering how well this setup might work. I prefer G9 over GH5 for a lighter body and better IBIS, though its video functions are somewhat limited. Would I be able to get them back or even improve on them by using Ninja V5? 

Like getting 10 bit 4k60p output from G9 to Ninja? I know that the sensor is the same as GH5 and the processor as well. Does anybody know?

Or any other external monitor with 4k60p. Atomos seems to have the best option right now. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, jonpais said:

I like it for its lighter body, but I’m gonna carry around an expensive recorder/monitor. Priceless.

Well, I needed monitor for gimbal shots, but now when I got the camera I am not sure it is capable of those shots to begin with. Cos its autofocus still suck. Yeah, yeah, same old story. Those tests ppl make on youtube, they use contrast background and foreground, but if you try to do it with not a very contrast setting.. well it works like 50% of the time + often hunting and pulsing on the final movement. Damn. And you cant tune it in anyway, there is no setting like on GH5 for sensitivity and speed. And slow mo bitrates are crippled. Only 150 and 180p with no AF and 20 mbps.. not very great. One thing I did enjoy was its IBIS.. it is a really substantial upgrade. I am coming from G85 so its IBIS already quite good, but even then I was surprised. But not sure extra 750$ justify my upgrade. I want reliable AFC and good quality slow mo. Will do more tests in upcoming days. Maybe I will return it and wait for upcoming Photokina for A7S3 and GH6 announcement. 

You can do some really impressive hand held shots with this camera, like imitations of slider shots. Pans and tilts are almost gimbal-like. 

6 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Maybe I will return it and wait for upcoming Photokina for A7S3 and GH6 announcement

I have a healthy degree of skepticism that we'll see a GH6 this year, or even an a7Smk3

Yeah I wouldn't expect a GH6 until 2020 at the earliest. I also think the A7S III could also be a year or more away. Usually there's some info in the months leading up to a camera's release that gets leaked and so far there has been nothing. That'd seem to indicate to me that, at the earliest, it'll come out the winter of 2019 but even then I'm quite skeptical. 

Honestly there's not really much of a reason not to get the A7 III, A7S II, G9, GH5s or the GH5 right now. I know we all kinda get gear lust and want the latest gear, but all of those cameras, and indeed most of the cameras in use today, all will be perfectly good tools for years to come. 

I personally would probably not get the G9 if my primary use is for video given there are more video centered options available, however it's still very much a capable video camera that will shoot beautiful 4K for years to come. 

yeah, I am starting to think about getting GH5 actually

its about what I need more, and I feel I need focus transitions, uncrippled slowmo bitrates and the rest of the GH5 goodies more then better IBIS and 60 gram lighter body. Dont care about better EVF. Hires mode though I would miss. 

9 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

GH5 IBIS really is good, I don't think you'll really miss out much compared to the G9 in that department. 

Well I have G85 which has the same IBIS as GH5 and when I got G9 I have seen a noticeable difference. GH5\G85 IBIS is still quite brilliant but the difference is there. Specwise its 1.5 stops ahead.